Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E60 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Roof rack experience and advice sought. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103079)

Cook 06-29-2005 09:53 AM

Roof rack experience and advice sought.

Does anyone know how the roof rack mounts on the E60? I assume it doesn't involve drilling holes in my roof. I've searched past threads, but I've not found anything for the E60. I believe I have found the right BMW part diagram, but that also is not very enlightening. Of course, any general suggestions or experience regarding mounting a (non-permanent) luggage box or bike rack would be much appreciated.

On a related note, does anyone know whether the European Delivery folks would permit me to leave an OEM roof rack on the car for transport back to the US?

Thanks for the help.

iDriveguy 06-29-2005 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook
Does anyone know how the roof rack mounts on the E60? I assume it doesn't involve drilling holes in my roof. I've searched past threads, but I've not found anything for the E60. I believe I have found the right BMW part diagram, but that also is not very enlightening. Of course, any general suggestions or experience regarding mounting a (non-permanent) luggage box or bike rack would be much appreciated.

On a related note, does anyone know whether the European Delivery folks would permit me to leave an OEM roof rack on the car for transport back to the US?

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

I have the BMW racks on the Alpine E60 (not in picture below).
Email me direct at allroadguy@sbcglobal.net and I will reply with details. I can scan the owners/instruction booklet and send to you if you so desire.

I purchased the racks from a BMW dealer selling stuff on eBay. The price was about $100 less! I'll send you the dealers name too. I found that many of the (new) parts being sold on eBay are regular BMW authorized dealers trying to increase volume sales - I recommend looking! It's not like buying from an "unknown" source!

Cheers! :)

bimNaround 06-29-2005 03:54 PM

I have a Thule rack on my E46 and it works great for carrying the bikes. With the hard-points in the roof, it is very solid and there's no chance for marking your roof unless you slip when installing or removing it.

TGray5 06-29-2005 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimNaround
I have a Thule rack on my E46 and it works great for carrying the bikes. With the hard-points in the roof, it is very solid and there's no chance for marking your roof unless you slip when installing or removing it.

the e60 does not have the screw points of previous model BMW's...inside the door jam there is a little indentation that the rack grabs onto and it also grabs on the rain gutter. The BMW racks are made by Saris and are very high quality...better than Yakima and Thule IMO and the price is no higher if you get it at a discount. Crevier BMW in California has an internet parts department and their prices are pretty good.

Cook 06-30-2005 02:08 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice. As it turns out, the logistics of using a roof box for European Delivery don't work well. The folks at European Delivery have told me that they won't ship the car back with the luggage rack attached. I'm looking at the cost of shipping the rails and box separately from Antwerp, but I suspect that it will be too expensive to justify the extra storage space. I suppose my wife will just need to pack lightly this time.

It's a shame that BMW has discontinued the screw-down hardpoints. I took a look at the hidden doors on top of my 2000 328, and that seems to me to be a much more secure approach than clamping onto the rain gutter.

Once I get the car back stateside, I'll take my time to explore the bike rack options.