Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   What are your mods in your E36 Bimmer???? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111535)

Agent7th 09-14-2005 03:04 PM

What are your mods in your E36 Bimmer????

I am waiting for my CAI, looking forward on getting the Comforti chip as well. :supdude:

Any ideas on mods?

I have only read about Bimmers breaking down on the E36 forum, this is starting to scare me... :eeps:

LmtdSlip 09-14-2005 03:06 PM

I have a conforti chip and I took the baffle out of the airbox.
Otherwise its stock.

Agent7th 09-14-2005 03:34 PM

How does the conforti chip feel?

BTW, I haven't been here long, but is this forum always quiet? or is cause I drive a 323is? :dunno:

SRFast 09-14-2005 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent7th
I am waiting for my CAI, looking forward on getting the Comforti chip as well. :supdude:

Any ideas on mods?

I have only read about Bimmers breaking down on the E36 forum, this is starting to scare me... :eeps:

I owned a 1993 325i with the factory sports package. I purchased it new and sold it to my nephew in 2003 and he still has it with 99,000 on the odometer. From 1993-1994, I did the following upgrades: 16" wheels, CAI, SSK, Dinan chip, Dinan exhaust, cross drilled then slotted rotors, SS brake lines, front strut brace, VDO oil pressure & temp gauges and voltmeter. Repalced the diff and trans fluids with Redline and went to Mobil 1. The car is a rocket and has never broken down. BTW, I never serviced the car at the dealer unless it was covered under warranty. The car still has the original clutch! I did the upgrades because I was going to track the car, but decided to purchase a purpose built race car instead.

Regards....JL

someguy 09-15-2005 08:51 AM

I've done no mods to my car and I beat the piss out of here, and the worst thing that happened to me was my drivers fog light stopped working, :cry: no more driving with them lol I haven't started putting mods on the car yet but the engine and tranny are so sound I'm not even worried. I guess I did remove the baffle but thats it.

LmtdSlip 09-15-2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

BTW, I haven't been here long, but is this forum always quiet? or is cause I drive a 323is? :dunno:

I like it well enough. Most of gain comes at the top end so you dont notice it much unless you are on the cam.

TheLiquidChild 10-01-2005 04:44 PM

Not too many, but still going

The only things I have done so far are the Conforti Chip, and the Conforti cold air filter. Next month will be exhaust. I'm torn between SuperSprint, Scorpion and BavAuto's tri-flo. So far Scorpion is in the lead though

98bmw323is 10-01-2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

i have a 323is too i cant find sh*t about mods for them

IceGT 10-01-2005 10:32 PM

All I have done to mine is the CAI, and that made a noticeable difference to me. I have thought about doing the exhaust, but I like the fact that my car is quite, and I don't want to add an exhaust that would make a lot of noise. I want the car to still sound like a luxury vehicle, and not a rice rocket. I bought a shark injector on ebay, but the person I bought it from used it on his own car, and then lied about it when he sold it. Since it can only be used on one car, I got hosed on that deal. I'm still trying to get my $200.00 back out of that one.

Silver328i 10-02-2005 12:59 AM

No Mods for me - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :rofl:

No breakdowns for me either so far on my all original 1998 328i 5spd. :D

Agent7th 10-03-2005 11:59 AM

Deal

I installed the CAI from Carbonio, I see the difference but I must get a chip to really see the real ponies. I also want to brag about the deal I got on ebay, a SSK UCC for $36 bucks with shipping included, it has everything on it, even the original UUC box. :bigpimp:

BeRzErKaS 10-03-2005 04:21 PM

Mod Smart!!

Quote:

Any ideas on mods?

I have only read about Bimmers breaking down on the E36 forum, this is starting to scare me...
:eeps:

It's not fair to assume the e36 is prone to failure just by looking at the posts in this forum. The average e36 is turning 11 years old and can be had for right around 5k. This has resulted in rather heavy influx of new bimmer owners who are all having the same problems. Problems that are common to just about any car thats creeping up on it's 11th birthday.

I always try to advise others to "Mod Smart." A properly maintained and well modified e36 will last well into the 200k range.

Anyway, below is my current mod list. I went through all the stages of naturally aspirated mods then realized I needed FI to make real power. I sold most of the N/A mods and started over w/ the S/C kit. She is slowly evolving into a auto-x/track rat. I still have quite a ways to go but right now she's just a really fun daily driver. I should have all the suspension work done by next spring which should make for a really interesting auto-x season. :thumbup:

June 2003 - 1994 BMW 325is (Bone Stock)

Engine:
ERT Stage 1 Supercharger (8 p.si.i)
GFB Hybrid BPV
SPAL 16" Slimline
Upgraded Behr Radiator
Custom CAI
Vibrant Perf Cat-Back
Fan Delete
ASC Delete
Cruise Control Delete
CharCan Delete

Engine Monitoring/Fuel Management:
Zeitronix Zt-2 Gauge Kit w/ LCD Display (o2, boost, A/F, lambda)
Apexi S-AFC II (%MAF, Fuel Correct, RPM, Knock)
Custom Tuned

Braking & Suspension:
Zimmerman X-Drilled
18" Quest VR5 w/ Kuhmo MX
OEM Wheel Locks

Asthetics:
20% Window Tint
Angel Eyes
Clear Corners
Smoked Tails
Fog Delete

Interior/ICE:
Alpine 9815 HU
Orion Amp
2x Autotek 10" Subs
Hornet Alarm w/ Pager
Optima Yellowtop

Coutermeasures:
Hardwired Passport 8500

Weight Redux:
Rear Seat/Spare Tire Delete

Up Next:
Ground Control Track/School Kit
GC Camber Plates
OEM X-Brace
GC Front/Rear Sways
JTD Front/Rear Strut Brace
Kosei K1's (black powder coated)
Cobra Misano L Seats

Maybe Later:
Aftercooler w/ Front Mount HX
Blower Upgrade (XB-1A)
0.1 Cometic HG
14 p.s.i.

...And If I REALLY Get Bored:
VIS CF Hood/Trunk (painted)
Hartage 3 Way Ajustable CF Spoiler (unpainted)
ACS CF Roof & Lip Spoiler (unpainted)
Full ACS Type II Body Kit
Full Respray

ImperialDuckM3 10-03-2005 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS
It's not fair to assume the e36 is prone to failure just by looking at the posts in this forum. The average e36 is turning 11 years old and can be had for right around 5k. This has resulted in rather heavy influx of new bimmer owners who are all having the same problems. Problems that are common to just about any car thats creeping up on it's 11th birthday.

I always try to advise others to "Mod Smart." A properly maintained and well modified e36 will last well into the 200k range.

Anyway, below is my current mod list. I went through all the stages of naturally aspirated mods then realized I needed FI to make real power. I sold most of the N/A mods and started over w/ the S/C kit. She is slowly evolving into a auto-x/track rat. I still have quite a ways to go but right now she's just a really fun daily driver. I should have all the suspension work done by next spring which should make for a really interesting auto-x season. :thumbup:

Engine:
ERT Stage 1 Supercharger (8 p.si.i) --Excellent choice in power
GFB Hybrid BPV
SPAL 16" Slimline
Upgraded Behr Radiator --- Doesn't really consider that upgrade
Custom CAI
Vibrant Perf Cat-Back
Fan Delete-- Good upgarde if your cities are not prone to traffice jam
ASC Delete-- Good upgrade, but all you need to do is deactive it. Don't really need to delete.
Cruise Control Delete-- Doesn't consider an upgrade
CharCan Delete-- Also doesn't consider upgrade

Engine Monitoring/Fuel Management:
Zeitronix Zt-2 Gauge Kit w/ LCD Display (o2, boost, A/F, lambda)
Apexi S-AFC II (%MAF, Fuel Correct, RPM, Knock)
Custom Tuned

Braking & Suspension:
Zimmerman X-Drilled
18" Quest VR5 w/ Kuhmo MX
OEM Wheel Locks

Asthetics:
20% Window Tint
Angel Eyes
Clear Corners
Smoked Tails
Fog Delete

Interior/ICE:
Alpine 9815 HU
Orion Amp
2x Autotek 10" Subs
Hornet Alarm w/ Pager
Optima Yellowtop

Coutermeasures:
Hardwired Passport 8500

Weight Redux:
Rear Seat/Spare Tire Delete

Up Next:
Ground Control Track/School Kit
GC Camber Plates
OEM X-Brace
GC Front/Rear Sways
JTD Front/Rear Strut Brace
Kosei K1's (black powder coated)
Cobra Misano L Seats

Maybe Later:
Aftercooler w/ Front Mount HX
Blower Upgrade (XB-1A)
0.1 Cometic HG
14 p.s.i.

...And If I REALLY Get Bored:
VIS CF Hood/Trunk (painted)
Hartage 3 Way Ajustable CF Spoiler (unpainted)
ACS CF Roof & Lip Spoiler (unpainted)
Full ACS Type II Body Kit
Full Respray

But I think you did a great job in modding your car (espically the SC).

My mod on my 328

--M50 intake manifold

-- Eurospeed/AA software

-- S52 cams

-- 3.91LSD diff

-- CAI

-- Exhaust (Stromung)

My M3

-- M50 intake manifold

-- Exhaust

-- CAI

-- 3.32LSD diff

Of course all of the authesis side that doesn't add any HP for both my M3 and 328 are: Rims, shock/spring lower, clear all corners, ICE, etc.....

e36phil 10-03-2005 08:20 PM

i haven't done anything to mine yet, but i have plans. change the headers on it, put double 3 inch exaust, get the real sound of it out. put in a turbo, intercooler, and cold air intake. see how that goes, if anything else needs adjusting, then so be it.

BeRzErKaS 10-03-2005 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImperialDuckM3
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeRzErKaS

Anyway, below is my current mod list. I went through all the stages of naturally aspirated mods then realized I needed FI to make real power. I sold most of the N/A mods and started over w/ the S/C kit. She is slowly evolving into a auto-x/track rat. I still have quite a ways to go but right now she's just a really fun daily driver. I should have all the suspension work done by next spring which should make for a really interesting auto-x season. [img]images/smilies/thumb.gif[/img]

Engine:
ERT Stage 1 Supercharger (8 p.si.i) --Excellent choice in power - Thanks
GFB Hybrid BPV
SPAL 16" Slimline

Upgraded Behr Radiator --- Doesn't really consider that upgrade - My fault, I should clarify: the Behr radiator is larger than stock and requires special bracketry

Custom CAI
Vibrant Perf Cat-Back
Fan Delete-- Good upgarde if your cities are not prone to traffice jam - Between the larger radiator, water wetter, and SPAL fan my engine stays cooler than a polar bears toe nails...even in NYC traffic...with the A/C on.. :smokin:

ASC Delete-- Good upgrade, but all you need to do is deactive it. Don't really need to delete.
1) Removing the ACS throttle body is neccessary to properly route the S/C piping.
2) Removal of the butterfly helps maintain a more laminar air flow into the main TB. (quicker throttle response, faster boost buildup)
3) Pressing the ACS+T button does not completely deactivate ACS. It just delays it's trigger point. If you were to SERIOUSLY lose it at high speed, ACS would still kick in. (rather annoying when on a road course!)

Cruise Control Delete-- Doesn't consider an upgrade ...maybe not. But it certainly qualifies as a "modification"

CharCan Delete-- Also doesn't consider upgrade ^Same

- snip -
But I think you did a great job in modding your car (espically the SC).

My mod on my 328

--M50 intake manifold

-- Eurospeed/AA software

-- S52 cams

-- 3.91LSD diff

-- CAI

-- Exhaust (Stromung)

My M3

-- M50 intake manifold

-- Exhaust

-- CAI

-- 3.32LSD diff

Of course all of the authesis side that doesn't add any HP for both my M3 and 328 are: Rims, shock/spring lower, clear all corners, ICE, etc.....
^^^ :thumbup: LoL...I'm sure posting like this is really gonna confuse some people!

Hey, you have a 3.91LSD in your 328? Is it an automatic or do you have some kinda crazy race gearing going on there??

ImperialDuckM3 10-04-2005 03:36 PM

My 328 is Auto :bawling: But it can out run any non-mod M3's :yikes: :thumbup:

You have to remove your ASC to install your ERT SC? Most SC kit doesn't require you to remove your ASC (AA, Eurosport, etc..) How much HP you're laying on the pavement?

I had an AA SC and was going to install on my //M. But instead, I had to replace my motor (money shift :bawling: ), so had to sell the SC. But if I were to go FI, I'll go with Turbo from TT (Tuning Techique) or even back to AA.

Chris90 10-05-2005 09:03 AM

My '95 325i has factory sport package, and I did:

- X-brace
- Koni shocks & H&R sport springs
- M3 bushings in the front (gave the steering more feel & rumble, and made car more neutral)

That's it. The car is very neutral and damn fast on a track, driven properly.

I wish I had done a CAI/Exhaust chip package, but now that I've had it 5 years I figure what's the point, I'll just be annoyed I didn't do it sooner!

1fast325i 10-16-2005 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg90
My '95 325i has factory sport package, and I did:

- X-brace
- Koni shocks & H&R sport springs
- M3 bushings in the front (gave the steering more feel & rumble, and made car more neutral)

That's it. The car is very neutral and damn fast on a track, driven properly.

I wish I had done a CAI/Exhaust chip package, but now that I've had it 5 years I figure what's the point, I'll just be annoyed I didn't do it sooner!

Did you notice the difference right away when you installed the x-brace? I'm looking into getting one. As for CAI/Exhaust, I highly recommend it!! I assure you, you will not be disappointed!!

Molon_Labe 08-11-2009 06:55 PM

Exhaust Mods/DDM

I also have an e36 323is, so I feel your pain as far as modding goes. I know this is a pretty old thread, but this info might still be helpful to you.

First off, the exhaust on the e36 323 is the same as that on the 318. There is only one pipe (instead of two) from the midpipe back. There aren't many (if any) aftermarket exhausts for this car but, instead, you could get the midpipe section (incl. the cat) off of a 325, 328 or an M3 and then have much more to choose from in terms of cat-back exhausts.

If that's too expensive, a great little mod that's practically free is called the 'Golf Tee Mod.' In one of your twin tailpipes, (the central one) there is a spring loaded butterfly valve that is closed at idle and below 2,500rpm. Its purpose is to keep the car quieter at idle and, or so I've heard, create back pressure in the exhaust system. If you get under the car and remove a small rubber vacuum hose from the module next to your tailpipes and then plug the hose with a golf tee, it will keep the valve open and allow your exhaust to flow more freely below 2,500 rpm. It doesn't have any negative effect on performance and sounds really nice. There's a deeper idle note and you can hear a little backfiring and burbliness more clearly when you let off of the throttle. Here's a more detailed DIY for your consideration.

http://www.e36-tech.com/forum/diy-32...-mod-3402.html

^^Props to Caligula of e36-tech.com for this DIY.

DDMTuning.com is also a GREAT site for BMW Mods. Awesome products and low prices.

Good luck with the mods!

HyphE36 08-11-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLiquidChild (Post 1352079)
The only things I have done so far are the Conforti Chip, and the Conforti cold air filter. Next month will be exhaust. I'm torn between SuperSprint, Scorpion and BavAuto's tri-flo. So far Scorpion is in the lead though

Please don't go with scorpian.... the only person who will be stung is you :mad:

Supersprint is a great exhaust with tons of R&D and proven results on the dyno and on the track, and it also has a large following. It is not my first choice, but its far and beyond Scorpian, who I didn't even bother to capitalize the first time 'round.

My mods are in my signature, I am also awaiting a pair of Adjustable Rear Control Arms from Bimmerworld, once those arrive I will be installing my DDM coilovers (and the A.RCA's with them, obviously) with my friend and local 'Fest member, CMY_Bimmer (and any other S.F. Bay Area members who want to join in on the carnage!). We will also more than likely toss in my Utopian-Steroid-Version Stewart Components Performance Water Pump, my Brand-New-Crispy-White Coolant Expansion tank, and Hardcore-to-the-Core Aluminum T-Stat Housing.

After all this is done and I work for a month I will be ordering/having installed/worked-on M3 Front and Rear Bumper, Sideskirts, Mouldings (motorsport symbols, no fake ///M for me), and having my car repainted, hopefully to the tune of around 1500-2000 dollars.

After my body work is done, because it is needed more and more daily... I will be reworking my intake/exhaust system (3.5 intake, larger throttle body, headers, exhaust) and chipping.

Then it is replacing my failing tensioner and idle pulleys (damn things are noisy as hell on start up if I don't spray them every couple of days with lube ((wd-40 most the time, seafoam deepcreep/silicone spray if I'm doing well on money))-) which will also call for a pulley set from either UUC/R.E/Ruff/EuroSport, have not decided.

After my engne noises are taken car of from the pulleys I will be going into wheels/brakes. I really want style 5's for the rim and something pretty aggresive for the rubber. The brakes I will probably go with zimmerman cross drilled/slotted rotors, Motorsport Calipers (too much money for a big brake, save it until I upgrade, F.I. engine), and SS brake-lines.

Then it will be various things for my engine without actually going inside. BavAuto Performance Coils for example.

Whew that took a long time, sorry if I bored you, but you opened the door... :rofl::thumbup::dunno:

E36youngster 08-12-2009 12:45 AM

wow, this is an epic thread revival.

the_brouhaha 08-12-2009 12:55 AM

Steven, you just got punk'd
http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resou...nked-thumb.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HyphE36 08-12-2009 09:22 AM

LOL :doh:

Hope he didn't go with scorpian............ hahahahahaha

Your punked photo reminded me of this one I saw yesterday... roflol....

http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/03...0blow%20up.jpg

Wolverine likes being inflated... :lmao:

P.s. I was pretty drunk by that time too... drunk/rant, my apologies lol :slap:*self

the_brouhaha 08-12-2009 10:14 AM

Hahaha that's funny.
After e36mike had his drunk cop rant I always have the computer off when I'm drunk. Or try to...

Cuahtemoc1 08-13-2009 01:37 AM

read my sig...lol