Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   European Delivery (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Daoushy ED write up (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112582)

daoushy 09-22-2005 03:24 PM

Daoushy ED write up

5 Attachment(s)
FINALLY Made it to Munich after a full hour delay in my flight, but hey I’m here. A VERY nice taxi driver took me to the ED center. Speaks very understandable English with a fun German accent. Way more interesting, talkative and fun than those French @ss holes. Cost me 52euros though, too bad Rolf was unavailable

I’m writing this while in the bistro in the ED center. Had a killer tuna wrap, the BMW of tuna wraps ***61514; and a nice almond pastry…. A coke from a bottle here tastes very different than in the US

Waiting patiently and reading the manual.

I just mentioned Bimmerfest to the lady in the Bistro and right away she got me the book

The delivery process was a little rushed.. Probably because they were PACKED...

I'm way too tiered to add the details after the pickup, so pics are below for now... will post much more details later... in short Okrobetfest rocks, the car is amazing... and the breaks can save your life :D

JSpira 09-22-2005 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daoushy
FINALLY Made it to Munich after a full hour delay in my flight, but hey I’m here. A VERY nice taxi driver took me to the ED center. Speaks very understandable English with a fun German accent. Way more interesting, talkative and fun than those French @ss holes. Cost me 52euros though, too bad Rolf was unavailable

I’m writing this while in the bistro in the ED center. Had a killer tuna wrap, the BMW of tuna wraps ***61514; and a nice almond pastry…. A coke from a bottle here tastes very different than in the US

Waiting patiently and reading the manual.

I just mentioned Bimmerfest to the lady in the Bistro and right away she got me the book

The delivery process was a little rushed.. Probably because they were PACKED...

I'm way too tiered to add the details after the pickup, so pics are below for now... will post much more details later... in short Okrobetfest rocks, the car is amazing... and the breaks can save your life :D

Congrats - this may be a record in first posts.

I´m confused about one thing: how did you get the speedometer to show the speed so fast; I´d presume you weren´t actually driving at that speed since you haven´t finished the breakin period.

Can´t wait for further posts.

Me530 09-22-2005 03:38 PM

Cool. Keep the pics coming as close to real time as possible! ;)

Mmmmm....pretzel....

BayAreaBMWFan 09-22-2005 03:38 PM

As long as you do not hold the RPMs for too long, a brief burst to 5500 rpm will not do much harm. During break in, the biggest risk is holding on to a steady speed for too long. So highway driving on cruise control is much worse than a brief spurt to the red line. This is because motion components are settling into place. Their relative position will change with the speed/RPMs of the car/engine. If you stay at one position for too long, any imperfection in the interaction between the two can cause localized wear. As long the interaction between the two components is varied across different surfaces by varying the speed/RPM, the imperfection wears off without a local wear spot. Kind of like the burn in on a plasma TV.

beewang 09-22-2005 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jspira
...I´m confused about one thing: how did you get the speedometer to show the speed so fast; I´d presume you weren´t actually driving at that speed since you haven´t finished the breakin period.....

:bustingup :slap:

He is in delivery center, in case you haven't noticed. He took a picture of the gauges in test mode McFly :kiss:

JSpira 09-22-2005 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beewang

He is in delivery center, in case you haven't noticed. He took a picture of the gauges in test mode McFly :kiss:

Hey, I´m recovering from surgery here... gimme a break.

daoushy 09-22-2005 04:07 PM

When will I EVER going to drive this fast again.. so break in goes bye bye... however, i never red lined it.. I accelerate smoothly and never went past 5500RPM and for brief periods...

I held max speed for 3 time max 5 mins each time

most of the time I was going 120MPH if I can RPM was like 4K

Stats of first day:
Distance traveled 449 miles
max speed 135MPH
Avg Speed 65MPH
Fuel consumption 21.5MPG
Fuel cost 120 swiss francs :cry:
Sever Traffic violations 3: unintentionally ran red light in Munich :slap: .. unintentionally drove on the wrong side of the road in Lucrane :slap:.. Intentionally drive at 110MPH in 100K/H zone :rofl:
Near miss: 1 minor while backing up, almost hit a stupid post.. 1 MAJOR... ran out of road on the left before construction, at 120MPH... The breaks on this car really work.. Was not intentional though, but used a lot of my karma points on that one

daoushy 09-22-2005 04:13 PM

One more out of order post

HATED Paris.. HATED the French : puke:

LOVED Munich... TOTALY LOVED the German people :thumbup:

Navi is amazing, life saver.. once I missed the same exit in a traffic circle 4 times I can swear that the lady, who is still nameless btw, of the navi almost changed her tone on me the 5th time... Bee, thanks for the disk :thumbup:

Just love the car... 135 in the bimmer is like 90 in my neon.. and it very quite :)

Things i didn't like in the car: If I really have to whine about anything then I would say that the arm rest is way too short, and the space inside it is just funny... here, this is my complaint, i need my money back :D

JSpira 09-22-2005 04:18 PM

Paging Bee

Quote:

When will I EVER going to drive this fast again.. so break in goes bye bye... however, i never red lined it.. I accelerate smoothly and never went past 5500RPM and for brief periods...

I held max speed for 3 time max 5 mins each time

Well McFly?

daoushy 09-22-2005 04:21 PM

Car pics

5 Attachment(s)
Did i mention that I LOVE my car :clap:

I have no regrets at all about losing my third pedal after 15 years of driving a stick... The steptronic is amazingly responsive... but i wasn't really pushing it though

One more thing that I love but never seen anyone comment about it is the cruse control.. .especially the deceleration, it actually applies the breaks and its very fast in that that is way more valuable that the flimsy reduced RPM to slow down on my neon.

JSpira 09-22-2005 04:30 PM

Quote:

Did i mention that I LOVE my car :clap:

Nope. Hadn´t mentioned that yet. Keep those cards and pix coming. I´ve been to your Weblog, you´re doing a great job keeping it updated with photos (we need text there too though). But stop and enjoy the trip too.

Me530 09-22-2005 04:47 PM

Quote:

Sever Traffic violations 3: unintentionally ran red light in Munich :slap: .. unintentionally drove on the wrong side of the road in Lucrane :slap:.. Intentionally drive at 110MPH in 100K/H zone :rofl:
Near miss: 1 minor while backing up, almost hit a stupid post.. 1 MAJOR... ran out of road on the left before construction, at 120MPH... The breaks on this car really work.. Was not intentional though, but used a lot of my karma points on that one

Remind me to schedule my next ED when you AREN'T planning on driving in Europe!! ;) Just kidding, sounds like you definitely used up some karma points but its great you are having a blast!!!

BTW- the car looks amazing!!!

Me530 09-22-2005 04:49 PM

Quote:

Nope. Hadn´t mentioned that yet. Keep those cards and pix coming. I´ve been to your Weblog, you´re doing a great job keeping it updated with photos (we need text there too though). But stop and enjoy the trip too.

Has he posted a link to his blog?

westwest888 09-22-2005 04:53 PM

I'm impressed that you could take a photo while driving that fast.

I might one up you by sending a text message while driving 240 km/h in a school zone!

JSpira 09-22-2005 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me530
Has he posted a link to his blog?

Ja. http://shadysbmwtrip.blogspot.com/

Me530 09-22-2005 05:00 PM

Quote:

Danke!

ska 09-22-2005 06:12 PM

SWEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! :thumbup:

bdraper 09-22-2005 06:49 PM

Great to hear you finally made it there after all the anxiety over the visa! Might have made it that much sweeter in the end :) Great pics and sounds like you are having a GREAT time! Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip!

JSpira 09-22-2005 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdraper
sounds like you are having a GREAT time!

Uh, he is. Not sure about the rest of the drivers on the Autobahn. :)

Quote:

Sever Traffic violations 3: unintentionally ran red light in Munich .. unintentionally drove on the wrong side of the road in Lucrane .. Intentionally drive at 110MPH in 100K/H zone
Near miss: 1 minor while backing up, almost hit a stupid post.. 1 MAJOR... ran out of road on the left before construction, at 120MPH...

MarcusSDCA 09-22-2005 07:28 PM

Great reporting habibi......drive carefully (or more carefully I guess) and have fun in "Le Caire". (ooppss....you hate the French....right?)

Me530 09-22-2005 07:38 PM

Quote:

Uh, he is. Not sure about the rest of the drivers on the Autobahn. :)

:rofl:

JSpira 09-22-2005 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me530
:rofl:

I like Shady. But I did ask him to confirm he'll be back in the States before I leave for Munich. :)

jackie 09-23-2005 01:02 PM

Oh my... I feel the "mother" in me coming out.

Daoushy:

We're all thrilled that you made it to Munich, after all the visa problems... And we're happy that the two of you are having fun together. But please be careful. We want both you and the car back here in one piece, without various warrants for your arrest trailing after you!

Keep up the photos and narrative.

Uncle Fester 09-23-2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beewang

He's not in the center with 127 miles on the clock!

Uncle Fester 09-23-2005 01:17 PM

Quote:

I’m writing this while in the bistro in the ED center. Had a killer tuna wrap, the BMW of tuna wraps ***61514; and a nice almond pastry….

Hi Daosshy - congrats on the new machine - made the visa troubles worth it, no?

Let's hope the tuna is the only killer BMW wrap you encounter! :thumbup: