Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   1992 325 e36- Noise on Right turns? Help? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113126)

golfmurph 09-27-2005 08:07 PM

1992 325 e36- Noise on Right turns? Help?

Whenever I make a right turn at slower speeds say 15-35mph, I hear a rattle that sounds like it is coming from under the armrest between the front seats. I thought at first it may have been teh rear shocks/shock mounts, but replaced those. Someone mentioned it might be the differential? I am going to start by replacing the differential fluid to see if we see anything, Any ideas on what else may be causing the noise, any help is appreciated. Puzzled.

G_VMP 09-29-2005 02:29 AM

It cud well be your wheel bearings, drive shalf or cv joints. which arnt all that pricy to fix

wavewuver 09-29-2005 05:01 AM

Check to see if your parking brakes cables are loose. Pull up the cover at the base of the parking brake lever. There shouldn't be any slack. I had this rattle once and that's what it turned out to be.

LmtdSlip 09-29-2005 06:06 AM

That sounds like it could be the beginning of a guibo disk going bad.

I say that because the sound is coming from the arm rest area. The part is about $50-$60 and can often be found on eBay.

If you are good with tools and can get your car in the air safely you can do the job yourself.

BeRzErKaS 09-29-2005 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfmurph
Whenever I make a right turn at slower speeds say 15-35mph, I hear a rattle that sounds like it is coming from under the armrest between the front seats. I thought at first it may have been teh rear shocks/shock mounts, but replaced those. Someone mentioned it might be the differential? I am going to start by replacing the differential fluid to see if we see anything, Any ideas on what else may be causing the noise, any help is appreciated. Puzzled.

This may seem like splitting hairs but as best you can describe is it a steady low-pitched KNOCKING/ "THUNKING" sound or is it truely a RATTLE (randomly timed tap/clanking sound)? Does it get worse the more you turn the wheel?

Do you feel any reverberation in the steering wheel when you hear this sound?

Also, is your car manual or automatic?

golfmurph 10-03-2005 05:09 PM

Info

Thanks for all the info. The car has a manual transmission. LAter this week I plan to check out some of the things mentioned. The noise sounds like two pieces of metal that are clunking /rattle when making the turn, very predictable when it happens and consistent noise. My thought was differential slipping, any ideas what that may sound like?

Dudesky_E36 10-05-2005 04:10 AM

Try wiggling your exhaust somewhat forcefully from side to side. It could be the exhaust hanger tabs in that area scraping against the pipes when you turn. I had this peoblem a few months ago, and it sounded like that. It was hard to diagnose because the exhaust looked and felt like they were solid enough. Apparently not so. One day I banged my knee against the exhaust tips, and voila- there was the sound :D