Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Airbag Warning (Restraint system failure) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123968)

Bimmer745li 12-18-2005 12:17 PM

Airbag Warning (Restraint system failure)

All of a sudden, I got into my 745 li 2002, and the light came up saying that airbag fault, something with the belt tensioner, it says continue wearing seatbelts and bring it to the nearest BMW service center.

Its funny I just came out of the service for an oil change and other things 2 days ago, and then this happened.

Does anyone know what the cause of this was and why it happened...

thanks

triple_sissy 12-18-2005 03:36 PM

I had the exact same thing happen to me aout a month ago. Took it to the dealer's service department, they reset it and said that their instructions say first time they can only reset this message, second time they will look into it closer. So if it is the first time it happened, just take it to the service dept. and they will reset the alarm.

jtlaxca 11-25-2007 06:09 PM

Restraint System Failure

Module, BMW part number: 65 77 6 929 551, was replaced. It solved the problem; the alarm disappered.:thumbup:

Antonio Starr 11-25-2007 06:12 PM

really funny I just got thsi light today

Din 11-25-2007 08:20 PM

had the same problem on my 03 when i first bought car . took it to dealer they fixed it. a year later no problem.

SLICK 11-25-2007 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had the same problem a few months ago. GLOBAL BMW claimed it was a $4000 sensor. But they always like to breakdown the retail costs of my warranty repairs as if I care.

Antonio Starr 11-26-2007 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLICK (Post 2823718)
I had the same problem a few months ago. GLOBAL BMW claimed it was a $4000 sensor. But they always like to breakdown the retail costs of my warranty repairs as if I care.

Who is your SA at Global?

sunstorm 11-26-2007 06:27 PM

Had same problem about a month ago, back to delaer and paid around 40 USD. problem gone. so far so good.

I really disapoint with the E65 7. My car going to like a chick! so many problems with it...

my05_745li 03-16-2008 07:52 PM

I got this warning last Friday. The full warning message appearing in the iDrive was Fault in pass.-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter. Fasten and continue to wear belts. Please contact the nearest BMW center. This was followed by a Transmission Fail Safe warning message. At the same time, my wipers turned on and didn't respond to the wiper control. I finally got them to stop by turning off the car. Unfortuntately they're in the upgright position. I called my service advisor and explained to him the situation. It was late that evening and he didn't have a loaner for me so I told him I'd bring the car by the first thing Monday morning.

G2BMW 03-17-2008 05:48 AM

I had the same problem repaired at Global. It was the seat mat (senses occupant) in the passenger seat.

msingh83 03-18-2008 11:21 AM

i have same problem its at the dealer rite now less see wha thy have to say about it .

my05_745li 03-18-2008 08:53 PM

Picked up my car today. The service invoice listed "Fault 94E3 - Internal failure of SZL and ignition coil springs" as the cause. They replaced the shroud switches and levers (part no. 61319138467) in the steering column and replaced ignition coil springs 1, 4 and 5 (part no. 12131712219) and reprogrammed the car. Everything is fine now.

MEXRACER2000 09-09-2008 12:19 AM

i think i got it the worst..same thing happened to me but my 7 completely turned off in the middle of me driving..power stearing went dead..and i thankfully had enough speed to coast into the entrance of a parking lot....car would not start after this..couldnt get it into neautral...had to have a tow truck drag it onto the flatbed...type of scenario that would bring a 7series loving man to his hands and knees full of tears..jaja...called the shop today..they told me that the seatbelt or airbag sensor is sending a false message to the fuel pump to shut of fuel...this happens when being involved in a wreck..its a safety issue with the fuel...they told me they are going to drive the car around and find out if it does it again ...the reason being that the parts are expensive....dont know wat to do...wish someone on here had the answer

unirok 09-09-2008 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEXRACER2000 (Post 3535269)
i think i got it the worst..same thing happened to me but my 7 completely turned off in the middle of me driving..power stearing went dead..and i thankfully had enough speed to coast into the entrance of a parking lot....car would not start after this..couldnt get it into neautral...had to have a tow truck drag it onto the flatbed...type of scenario that would bring a 7series loving man to his hands and knees full of tears..jaja...called the shop today..they told me that the seatbelt or airbag sensor is sending a false message to the fuel pump to shut of fuel...this happens when being involved in a wreck..its a safety issue with the fuel...they told me they are going to drive the car around and find out if it does it again ...the reason being that the parts are expensive....dont know wat to do...wish someone on here had the answer

Mr "NOT BAD FOR BEING 23YRS OLD...EEHH??" with all those spelling errors I hope you are still in college lol:rofl: anyway this sounds like a serious issue and I hope they figure out the fix properly than just waiting for it to happen again.

I cant spell either so spellchecker is my friend:angel:

mkabat 01-01-2009 08:26 AM

same here

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimmer745li (Post 1463004)
All of a sudden, I got into my 745 li 2002, and the light came up saying that airbag fault, something with the belt tensioner, it says continue wearing seatbelts and bring it to the nearest BMW service center.

Its funny I just came out of the service for an oil change and other things 2 days ago, and then this happened.

Does anyone know what the cause of this was and why it happened...

thanks

I got same problem yesterday. I am getting bit frustrated with my 7er because this is another problem after problem in 3 months. Nothing really sooo serious, but keeps bothering me. Had Hyundai XG before and never so many problems... Well we will see.

mkurchinski 02-03-2009 11:17 AM

how to perform a short test

dfauerbach 02-03-2009 01:11 PM

BMW just released a bulletin that the seat mat sensor will be covered for 10 years and in service date

ant745 02-03-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEXRACER2000 (Post 3535269)

you can put 7 in neutral manually. below steering wheel in front of the brake pedal, closer to the door, there is a department which you open with your car key. once you open, there will be a red pull belt. that's how i got my car out of driveway so tow truck could deliver it to body shop.

JMartii 02-28-2009 05:37 PM

Does anyone know how to re-set the Fault in pass.-restraint system affecting airbag, belt tensioner or belt-force limiter. Fasten and continue to wear belts. Please contact the nearest BMW center. warning it is not letting me start my car. Has anyone had that problem before?

grooveshack26 10-04-2012 11:43 AM

My 03 threw srs symbol again after having it reset prior, states drivers restraint system fault. I had my tech at chrylser where i work put it on the
snap on scanner came up with 9763 drivers seat occupancy open circut, 94e7 steering angle sensor wiper contact? Any ideas! thanks rod

tbsbmw 12-31-2013 09:42 AM

i have the same 9763 error, did you find out what caused yours ?

dwalls24 12-31-2013 02:36 PM

9763 is the occupancy sensor mat. I bought an occupancy sensor bypass off of Ebay for the passenger side mat that was throwing the code. I was able to connect it and clear the code. Then my driver's side went out and I couldn't clear it using the same bypass module. So i took it to a mechanic and he told me it was an open circuit (9674) and 9763 (occupancy mat). I was going crazy because I thought that it was just my INPA configuration or OBD II USB cable that wouldn't clear the code (kept getting ecu error). The mechanic told me it was a wire short circuit under the seat somewhere. It must have happened putting in the subwoofers when I had the seat slightly removed. I didn't care to dig through all the harnesses and take the seat out the find the issue, so I just programmed both seats to be turned off using NCSExpert in ECUs SSFA and SSBF.

FOR SSFA

BELEGUNGSERKENNEUNG_FA
sbe1

TO:

BELEGUNGSERKENNEUNG_FA
keine_sbe

FOR SSBF

BELEGUNGSERKENNEUNG_BF
oc3

To:

BELEGUNGSERKENNEUNG_BF
keine_sbe

I also turned the ERKENNUNGSMATTE to nicht_aktiv Make sure it codes properly and then clear the codes in INPA and no more airbag light. I was such a happy camper after fighting with the thing for several days.

dmc781 01-13-2014 07:15 PM

ok I get that there is a solution to clear the code for the safety restraint driver's side tension. Thanks for the information in your thread, but I still don;t understand how to clear it. The codes you speak of , show up where? on my OBD-2 reader has no codes showing and I have attempted to erase it anyway. No luck.
Show me steps in english if possible. Thanks "total F'ng confused."

SuperSnoop 01-13-2014 11:52 PM

You need bmw software to clear safety system faults. Your OBD tools won't do it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

EasyPimpin 01-14-2014 02:37 AM

Same thing happened to me 2 months ago. Had it for a month like that until I took it for a oil change and told them about it and they cleared it up for me for free.