Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   AUX INPUT just added what a nightmare!!! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124742)

Vicken 12-23-2005 01:25 PM

AUX INPUT just added what a nightmare!!!
 
[SIZE=5Hi Everyone,
I just had my AUX INPUT installed and let me tell you what a nightmare that turned out to be. Please advise NO dealer in SoCal has a F**ken clue what they are talking about. I purchased Aux cable $65.Then the dealer wanted 3 1/2 hours @ $126 for the install, yes do the math. So I took it my friends Auto shop. JUST IN CASE you guys attempt this, the Aux Cable needs to plug in behind the CD/DVD player which is pretty easy, ONLY IF YOU KNOW THAT THIERS A SCREW holding the vents on top; you'll need to remove the Hazard/Door lock module which is one whole item 1st!!! Then that whole face plate with the radio comes right out. Then you'll find the spot for the aux input is already taken, you'll need to take the pins out of the old plug and place them on too the Aux plug and make sure you follow the retrofit instructions because they don't go in the same exact spot on the plug, they get moved around. Then the dealer needs to So-Called reprogram your car, BULL****T. It’s a matter of activating a feature using the GT-1. Which the dealer did for me "Goodwill". Please let me know if anyone in consider doing this, I’ll be more than happy to walk you through it. The install should not take more than 30-45min.[/SIZE]

Malibubimmer 12-23-2005 02:49 PM

Thanks for the info.

phunkfarm 12-23-2005 04:41 PM

Hey viken
 
can you please list the procedure step by step for us

I plan to do this as well. I think it would be very helpful

esoteric 12-23-2005 09:39 PM

first with a fiber stick, or if your careful a pick tool. remove hazard lock switch. I found the easiest way was to approach it from the side.I did mar the one I just did and have a new one coming for it. no big deal, it will be used ... well out of a wrecked 645. Anyways disconnect the plug from the back of the switch

there is a torx screw under the switch, it will be vertical either a t15 or t20... remove

next remove the A/C vent, I use a hook tool from inside the vent and pull out on each side.

remove the two philip head screws on each side of the radio bezel.

next remove the boot on the shifter by pullin it up, not off.

remove the ashtray

then reach in the cavity of the shifter and pull up on the plastic piece that held the boot, disconnect the 4 plugs and remove

remove 4 torx head screws that will be visible

partially remove the unit and disconnect the harnesses, then completely remove

with that removed you are now able to grasp the trim bezel from underneath and pry up on it a little to release the clips.

remove the electrical plugs and set the unit aside safetly

remove the 4 philip head screws holding the dvd nav and the cd player in place

put the vehicle in gear and slide the unit out of the cavity.

remove the gps antenna, the radio antenna, the 3 pin plug to the fan, the 10 pin din cable, so your left with the one big square molex connector. squeeze the sides of it and flip the lever down, the plug will come out

next set the radio aside in a safe place

the last harness has the top passenger side plug in it that needs to be removed for the aux input to plug in. Here is the screwed up part, thathad my sleep deprived brain asking silly stupid questions here.

leave the pins in that plug, remove the pins from the other plug (adapter) and insert into the existing plug, if memory serves me it will be 2, 7, and 8. the plug is labeled on the front

now to remove the pins it is pretty simple, look at the one on the adapter first, little tit that holds the cover on, when depressed, it will slide to the right or whatever ay the arrow says. with a pick tool, depress on the tit that holds the pin in the socket, pull back an 1/8" and depress again, because it will most likely get caught up on the opening

remove and reinstall into the existing harness with the pins going in the hole assigned

put everything back together.

don't bother testing till the aux is assigned to the menu via the dealer and his computer

words of advise, use a few towels when removing the panels soas not to scratch. you candisconnect the battery so you willget no fault codes, but i believe that when disconnected the vehicle won't shift out of park.

you might ask why I don't care about fault codes, well your heading to the dealer anyways, they will reset them! that is why

sorry if not completely comprehensive, but I am operating on 2 hours of sleep in the past 57 hours.

Also i willpost a video on the one I did in about 2 hours or so...

jim

BHR4CE1 01-07-2007 06:24 PM

What is this AUX input for?

cobradav 01-07-2007 07:10 PM

Allows you to listen to any device that produces audio via a "line out" or "headphone out" jack though the Audio system as another source. Such things as iPod, or any other brand of MP3 player, tape (cassette, 8-track - r u old enough?) CD or DVD player (audio portion only, not video).

BHR4CE1 01-07-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobradav (Post 2107385)
Allows you to listen to any device that produces audio via a "line out" or "headphone out" jack though the Audio system as another source. Such things as iPod, or any other brand of MP3 player, tape (cassette, 8-track - r u old enough?) CD or DVD player (audio portion only, not video).

Yes, regrettably I am old enough to recall 8-tracks (I was born in 1963) and had a cassette player in my first car at age 16.

The dealer situated my iPod input in the glove box, and I am extremely thankful. That middle compartment is so dam* tiny as it is! I have 6 coins, 1 pack of gum, sunglasses and a pen in there...it's full!

This car is SERIOUSLY deficient of "hide-away" space, but what it lacks in convenience…it makes up for in power.

I slaughtered a bright yellow Porsche Carerra S4 today on PCH. He even tried it again at the second light… Poor guy! I felt like a kid again… Weeeeeeeeeeee

Malibubimmer 01-07-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHR4CE1 (Post 2107470)
Yes, regrettably I am old enough to recall 8-tracks (I was born in 1963) and had a cassette player in my first car at age 16.

The dealer situated my iPod input in the glove box, and I am extremely thankful. That middle compartment is so dam* tiny as it is! I have 6 coins, 1 pack of gum, sunglasses and a pen in there...it's full!

This car is SERIOUSLY deficient of "hide-away" space, but what it lacks in convenience…it makes up for in power.

I slaughtered a bright yellow Porsche Carerra S4 today on PCH. He even tried it again at the second light… Poor guy! I felt like a kid again… Weeeeeeeeeeee

Tweener. I knew he wasn't a 'snapper or Geezer. Tweener middle division I guess.

BHR4CE1 01-07-2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malibubimmer (Post 2107557)
Tweener. I knew he wasn't a 'snapper or Geezer. Tweener middle division I guess.

I did feel a little like a 'snapper today however!

I hammered that Porsche, and I haven't even gotten to push the "Magic" button yet. It must have been a slow Porsche!!!

After "getting on it" a little today...I think I am really gonna' like this car!

Gran Turismo 01-08-2007 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHR4CE1 (Post 2107470)
The dealer situated my iPod input in the glove box, and I am extremely thankful. That middle compartment is so dam* tiny as it is! I have 6 coins, 1 pack of gum, sunglasses and a pen in there...it's full!

Yes, the iPod interface is designed for the glovebox, as otherwise most probably a custom made wiring harness would become necessary.

However you additionally should have the Aux input too in that middle compartment - that location as standard equipment is one of the very few changes for model year 07 (or is it different with the M6?). With previous 6er vintages, the Aux input had to retrofitted in the glovebox as well... and that's what the OP of this thread was referring to.

BHR4CE1 01-08-2007 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gran Turismo (Post 2107696)
Yes, the iPod interface is designed for the glovebox, as otherwise most probably a custom made wiring harness would become necessary.

However you additionally should have the Aux input too in that middle compartment - that location as standard equipment is one of the very few changes for model year 07 (or is it different with the M6?). With previous 6er vintages, the Aux input had to retrofitted in the glovebox as well... and that's what the OP of this thread was referring to.



Yes, I did find an input plug in the middle console, so that must be it.

HGilmore 01-08-2007 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHR4CE1 (Post 2107470)

I slaughtered a bright yellow Porsche Carerra S4 today on PCH. He even tried it again at the second light… Poor guy! I felt like a kid again… Weeeeeeeeeeee

Nice :spank: Bear-man.....Porsches are nice but over-rated. I drive my GF's 06 Carrera every now and then, and while it is quick, I don't like the ride or the rattles.

Murtaza 01-08-2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HGilmore (Post 2108266)
Nice :spank: Bear-man.....Porsches are nice but over-rated. I drive my GF's 06 Carrera every now and then, and while it is quick, I don't like the ride or the rattles.

I agree that the non Turbo/GT3's are a bit boring. The 997 TT, however, is pure adrenaline and an absolute joy to drive:D

6er 01-09-2007 04:53 AM

You should aquire a ETK TIS etc these discs give you valuable information ie

diagrams on removal of such items, Part diagrams and numbers, wiring diagrams

lucky if removing the Nav takes 5 mins really.

Now removing the Steering wheel thats fun, I could have done with a power drill for the main nut haha that was pure strength in the end haha

TIP : Hazard switch removal ... take a old credit card ( or a wifes current card ;) ) and snap it to fit double it up and the hazards will pop right out no fuss :D

Britannia 01-10-2007 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gran Turismo (Post 2107696)
However you additionally should have the Aux input too in that middle compartment - that location as standard equipment is one of the very few changes for model year 07 (or is it different with the M6?).

I've got the aux input in the middle comparment under the armrest.

I'm assuming there is no power from the aux input so the iPod will run out of battery in a few hours.

Does any one know how you get power there? Can you hard wire a 9v dc adapter to the carphone cradle?

Gran Turismo 01-10-2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britannia (Post 2111358)
I'm assuming there is no power from the aux input so the iPod will run out of battery in a few hours.

Exactly. Also, selecting songs while driving (or simply switching the thing on) will turn out as a major PITA too if you put the iPod in there!

Have you already searched the forum for 'iPod MOST interface'? ;)

E60orBust 01-25-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britannia (Post 2111358)
I've got the aux input in the middle comparment under the armrest.

I'm assuming there is no power from the aux input so the iPod will run out of battery in a few hours.

Does any one know how you get power there? Can you hard wire a 9v dc adapter to the carphone cradle?

Not a 6 series, but i wired up an additional 12V outlet in the arm rest of my E60 to connect the monster iCharge to. This would give you power (and aux if you have it installed) in the center console.

Write up for the Aux install (5 series) with pictures of dash dismantling - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&highlight=aux

Write up for adding 12V outet to center console via modifying the "flashlight harness" that normally turns the glovebox flashlight into another 12V outlet - http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=flashlight

I've only been in the M6 and I didn't really pay much attention to the glove box/arm rest area, so I'm not sure how much the M6/6 differ from the 5, but if you have rear 12V outlets on the 6, you should be able to tap them as a power source for my mod.

B_RASHED 07-31-2010 12:55 PM

so this is what happened. i did the install on the AUX and went to the dealer to get it programmed but they told me that they would need to do the whole upgrade on the computer so it would be 300 total. i dont mind doing it because they said it would eliminate a lot of the bugs i get with the navigation and some other stuff with the car and the rep said he could retrofit the tail lights and headlights so they wouldnt give me an error message anymore since i upgraded to the new lci lights. but now i think im going to get the ipod hook up and just program the car since im spending the money anyway. my only problem is that i have the dinan stage 2 software, will it get erased from the computer??

OXDUB805 07-31-2010 02:17 PM

THAT AWESOME! any one near Oxnard< Ca that would love to helpo me out? some extra cash a and lunch! JOSEREVELES@HOTMAIL.COM

ctryboi28 01-04-2011 05:56 PM

man your post was a life saver. i had input installed for $40, even though i had to go back and put pins in correct spot, but it saved me $80 of my money giving to dealership!!

long story to say thanks for your detailed instructions!!

tk123 01-12-2013 08:24 AM

aux retrofit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by esoteric (Post 1472290)
first with a fiber stick, or if your careful a pick tool. remove hazard lock switch. I found the easiest way was to approach it from the side.I did mar the one I just did and have a new one coming for it. no big deal, it will be used ... well out of a wrecked 645. Anyways disconnect the plug from the back of the switch

there is a torx screw under the switch, it will be vertical either a t15 or t20... remove

next remove the A/C vent, I use a hook tool from inside the vent and pull out on each side.

remove the two philip head screws on each side of the radio bezel.

next remove the boot on the shifter by pullin it up, not off.

remove the ashtray

then reach in the cavity of the shifter and pull up on the plastic piece that held the boot, disconnect the 4 plugs and remove

remove 4 torx head screws that will be visible

partially remove the unit and disconnect the harnesses, then completely remove

with that removed you are now able to grasp the trim bezel from underneath and pry up on it a little to release the clips.

remove the electrical plugs and set the unit aside safetly

remove the 4 philip head screws holding the dvd nav and the cd player in place

put the vehicle in gear and slide the unit out of the cavity.

remove the gps antenna, the radio antenna, the 3 pin plug to the fan, the 10 pin din cable, so your left with the one big square molex connector. squeeze the sides of it and flip the lever down, the plug will come out

next set the radio aside in a safe place

the last harness has the top passenger side plug in it that needs to be removed for the aux input to plug in. Here is the screwed up part, thathad my sleep deprived brain asking silly stupid questions here.

leave the pins in that plug, remove the pins from the other plug (adapter) and insert into the existing plug, if memory serves me it will be 2, 7, and 8. the plug is labeled on the front

now to remove the pins it is pretty simple, look at the one on the adapter first, little tit that holds the cover on, when depressed, it will slide to the right or whatever ay the arrow says. with a pick tool, depress on the tit that holds the pin in the socket, pull back an 1/8" and depress again, because it will most likely get caught up on the opening

remove and reinstall into the existing harness with the pins going in the hole assigned

put everything back together.

don't bother testing till the aux is assigned to the menu via the dealer and his computer

words of advise, use a few towels when removing the panels soas not to scratch. you candisconnect the battery so you willget no fault codes, but i believe that when disconnected the vehicle won't shift out of park.

you might ask why I don't care about fault codes, well your heading to the dealer anyways, they will reset them! that is why

sorry if not completely comprehensive, but I am operating on 2 hours of sleep in the past 57 hours.

Also i willpost a video on the one I did in about 2 hours or so...

jim

Is your video out yet? I would love to see it.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms