Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   2007 M3 to get unique body design (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124780)

user1 12-23-2005 07:54 PM

2007 M3 to get unique body design
 
From Left Lane News:
Unlike past generations of the iconic sports car, the 2007 BMW M3 coupe will receive an entirely unique body design, according to a report in Germany’s AutoBild magazine. In recent months, the magazine has stood by its computer rendering of the car (shown right - click to zoom), despite consistent indications that the new 3-Series coupe would feature a less radical design. It now appears that while the 3-Series coupe and convertible will not stray too far from their sedan and wagon counterparts, the M3 will take on a much more aggressive and upscale appearance. Traditionally, the M3 has simply used a lowered 3-Series body with added cladding and other minor visual upgrades. The new M3, expected as either a 2007 or 2008 model, will feature an new V8 engine derived directly from the company’s new V10 engine from the M5 and M6 performance cars. Output is expected as high as 425 horsepower. Meanwhile, Audi is said to be readying its own answer to the M3 — the RS5 coupe. The car will likely use the same engine as the RS4, with output boosted to around 450 horsepower. AutoBild has posted a new RS5 computer rendering, which is clearly a derivative of the forthcoming Nuvolari-inspired A5 coupe.



http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/...body-rs5-news/

mwette 12-23-2005 08:22 PM

I like what is shown.

Malibubimmer 12-25-2005 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by user1
From Left Lane News:
Unlike past generations of the iconic sports car, the 2007 BMW M3 coupe will receive an entirely unique body design, according to a report in Germany’s AutoBild magazine. . . .

:tsk: Left Lane News needs someone conversant with the English language. Either the new M3 will have an entirely different body design, or a unique body design. One or the other. "Entirely unique" is entirely incorrect.

chuck92103 12-25-2005 04:50 PM

Body woon't stray too much from the 3 IMHO.

I am not sure the E90 4 door can be "M'd", the E46 4 door could not.

Pinecone 12-26-2005 04:31 AM

Well look at tradition.

E30 M shared something like 2 -3 body panels from non-M version.

E36 M3 used virtually all the same parts except for slight cosmetic things (rockers, mirrors).

E46 M3 uses doors, roof, trunk from non-M version, all other body parts are unique.

So it would be LIKELY that the E90 M3 uses mainly different body parts than the non-M coupes.

Moderato 12-26-2005 06:31 AM

I'm not a fan of Audi, but that RS5 looks pretty good.

Mr. E 12-27-2005 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinecone
Well look at tradition.

E46 M3 uses doors, roof, trunk from non-M version, all other body parts are unique.

The body parts are different (especially fenders), but it's clearly an E46. I can't see BMW deviating radically from "a lowered 3-Series body with added cladding and other minor visual upgrades" as is being implied by this article. Just look at the M5 and M6. Neither of them is radically different in appearance than the base models, and if BMW were to stray too far, they may as well remove the "3" from "M3" because the name won't make sense any longer.

E60orBust 12-28-2005 01:26 PM

425HP isn't too far off from the 760i's V12......geez.

Pinecone 12-29-2005 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. E
The body parts are different (especially fenders), but it's clearly an E46. I can't see BMW deviating radically from "a lowered 3-Series body with added cladding and other minor visual upgrades" as is being implied by this article. Just look at the M5 and M6. Neither of them is radically different in appearance than the base models, and if BMW were to stray too far, they may as well remove the "3" from "M3" because the name won't make sense any longer.

Actually having seen teh M5 in person at O'fest, I would say it does look a LOT different than the non-M 5er. The front end treatment and the rear spoiler really do change the looks, enough so that it doesn't lok quite as Bangled as the non-M.

And the E46 while almost totally different is different in a subtle way. The E30 M3 was much more in your face about the differences. But that was nice.

Reedo302 01-02-2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92103
Body woon't stray too much from the 3 IMHO.

I am not sure the E90 4 door can be "M'd", the E46 4 door could not.

Supposedly, that's where the M4 comes in...if BMW GmbH ever decides to come out with it instead of just talking about it, that is. :thumbup:

Bruce 01-02-2006 05:49 PM

There won't be an M4...that would be marketing suicide.

chuck92103 01-02-2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce
There won't be an M4...that would be marketing suicide.

They are already comitting suicide now. An M3 with a 425HP V8? :dunno:

This car will out perform any M5 or M6, or Z8.

So why would folks by the M5/M6?. 100K is a lot of money for a car that won't out perform something costing $40K less.

SONET 01-02-2006 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92103
They are already comitting suicide now. An M3 with a 425HP V8? :dunno:

This car will out perform any M5 or M6, or Z8.

So why would folks by the M5/M6?. 100K is a lot of money for a car that won't out perform something costing $40K less.

I agree, as much as I wish it wasn't the truth. Because the way I see it, they are marketed to different people. All IMHO, but the M6 is a land yacht of a coupe, and I'd bet that more big people buy the 6ers than any other BMW coupe. I think plenty of people who buy M3s could probably afford the M6, they just prefer the M3 (be it for size or whatever). The M5 is the perfect sedan, if not a bit large. I bought my M3 because I'm single and don't need four doors. If I had kids I would want the M5, and if I gained a couple hundred pounds or added 6 inches to my height I'd probably be in the market for an M6. :dunno:

The marketing department at BMW is like the one at Porsche, so my guess is that either they will dumb the car down so that it's outpaced by its more expensive siblings, or they'll just generate their own weaker performance numbers like they did with the S54 M Coupe/Roadster. Hopefully it's the latter.

The M3 should be 'just right' in size for a coupe (but the E92 looks like it's going to be too big). I don't see why they keep making it bigger... the E46 was too big as it was, and now it looks as though it will be growing once again. It would be awesome if they were actually going to make the M3 entirely different, but I would imagine that would be far too expensive to justify.

--SONET

chuck92103 01-02-2006 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONET
I agree, as much as I wish it wasn't the truth. Because the way I see it, they are marketed to different people. All IMHO, but the M6 is a land yacht of a coupe, and I'd bet that more big people buy the 6ers than any other BMW coupe. I think plenty of people who buy M3s could probably afford the M6, they just prefer the M3 (be it for size or whatever). The M5 is the perfect sedan, if not a bit large. I bought my M3 because I'm single and don't need four doors. If I had kids I would want the M5, and if I gained a couple hundred pounds or added 6 inches to my height I'd probably be in the market for an M6. :dunno:

The marketing department at BMW is like the one at Porsche, so my guess is that either they will dumb the car down so that it's outpaced by its more expensive siblings, or they'll just generate their own weaker performance numbers like they did with the S54 M Coupe/Roadster. Hopefully it's the latter.

The M3 should be 'just right' in size for a coupe (but the E92 looks like it's going to be too big). I don't see why they keep making it bigger... the E46 was too big as it was, and now it looks as though it will be growing once again. It would be awesome if they were actually going to make the M3 entirely different, but I would imagine that would be far too expensive to justify.

--SONET

You think the E46 is too big? How much larger is the E92 suppose to be?

I think the E46 is a tad on the small side. It felt cramped when I had mine. The 645 is a little more roomy on the inside. I guess it depends how you drive. Short drives the E46 is fine, but long road trips, more room is in order.

Bruce 01-02-2006 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92103
They are already comitting suicide now. An M3 with a 425HP V8? :dunno:

This car will out perform any M5 or M6, or Z8.

So why would folks by the M5/M6?. 100K is a lot of money for a car that won't out perform something costing $40K less.


I never have bought that arguement.

Pinecone 01-04-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92103
They are already comitting suicide now. An M3 with a 425HP V8? :dunno:

This car will out perform any M5 or M6, or Z8.

So why would folks by the M5/M6?. 100K is a lot of money for a car that won't out perform something costing $40K less.

Because the M5/M6 are different cars for different markets. The M5 is the performance 4 door with comfortable room for 4 full sized people. The sort of fun car you can still use for business.

The M6 is a grand touring car. Good performance, designed for long high speed trips.

The M3 is the cut and thrust more sporty car, with compromizes on room for smaller size and better performance.

The M3 has typically outperformed the M5, but it didn't seem to hurt M5 sales.

chuck92103 01-04-2006 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinecone
Because the M5/M6 are different cars for different markets. The M5 is the performance 4 door with comfortable room for 4 full sized people. The sort of fun car you can still use for business.

The M6 is a grand touring car. Good performance, designed for long high speed trips.

The M3 is the cut and thrust more sporty car, with compromizes on room for smaller size and better performance.

The M3 has typically outperformed the M5, but it didn't seem to hurt M5 sales.

I agree however I wonder what will happen now they up'd the anty with a V8. :dunno:

I supposed the fact the 3 series interior, options, etc. wll be scaled down a bit.

I suppose I can look at it the other way. A loaded M3 is going to be close to 60k. Some M3 buyers will opt for the 6 and vice versa.

Moderato 01-04-2006 06:51 PM

I just hope that the new M3 has more torque then the last one, doesn't weigh any more, and doesn't have to have the valves adjusted every so often.

Bruce 01-04-2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92103
I suppose I can look at it the other way. A loaded M3 is going to be close to 60k. Some M3 buyers will opt for the 6 and vice versa.

The 6? The M6 or a regular 6? M3 buyers will not buy a regular 6. Assuming a loaded E90 M3 is $60k (I think that figure is low for a loaded M3) the price delta between an M3 and M6 will be $40k. You just aren't hitting the same market for these cars. Sure some potential M6 buyers can buy an M3, that really isn't going to work in reverse....the M3 will be all they can afford.

Pinecone 01-05-2006 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moderato
I just hope that the new M3 has more torque then the last one, doesn't weigh any more, and doesn't have to have the valves adjusted every so often.

Why? It has enough torque to do sub 5 second 0 - 60, 13 flat quarter on street tires.

I will go with you on this one.

Welcome to high performance cars. You want low maintennace, get a standard 3 series or any of the Japanese clones. Real motors have solid lifters and have to have the vlaves adjusted. And every 30 - 60K is NOT often. Often is having them adjusted every 3-5K miles.

___lk___ 01-05-2006 04:28 AM

:rolleyes:

Moderato 01-05-2006 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinecone
Why? It has enough torque to do sub 5 second 0 - 60, 13 flat quarter on street tires.

There were many times when I had to turn and go up a hill from a slow roll in 2nd and the M3 felt underpowered. In that respect it didn't feel much different from my 330i, you really have to get the engine to 4K before it feels "fast." If the new M3 has more low end torque without sacrificing it's high reving nature, and without gaining any weight you won't have any complaints from me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinecone
Welcome to high performance cars. You want low maintennace, get a standard 3 series or any of the Japanese clones. Real motors have solid lifters and have to have the vlaves adjusted. And every 30 - 60K is NOT often. Often is having them adjusted every 3-5K miles.

Does the M5 need this service? If not then then the M3 probably won't need it either. I wouldn't say that having to get this done on an E46 M3 is a deal breaker but if they can design the E92 M3 so it doesn't need this, then why not? One less thing for me to worry about.

Pinecone 01-05-2006 01:05 PM

Have you looked at the S54 torque curve?

At 2000 RPM you have 244 pounds feet of torque. At 4000 RPM you have 265 pounds feet (less than 10% more). Peak torque is 4500 at 270. At 6000 you have 257. At 7000 you still have 236 (Hmm, less than you have at 2000). And at 8000 you have 218.

This is what is called a flat torque curve. And the reason the M3 doesn't feel as quick as it is, you don't get that rush as the torque builds as the revs climb, it just keeps on accelerating.

If you want a Honda, buy a Honda. BMW caved to the masses going to hydraulic lifters. They saw the light again and went back to solid ones for performance. And in a high performance engien with hydraulic lifter you can run into the dreaded hard running ticking, like E36 M3s after a hard autocross or track run. Imagine all the people bringing cars back thinking they were defective because of that.

Oh, you do NOT have an E90 M3 on order. At best you are on a waiting list to order one once allocations are available. On order says you have placed an order for a specific car (produciton number) with specific options.

wwb4 01-07-2006 04:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some more E90 M3 pics you guys should like. :thumbup:
Also check out www.germancarfans.com for all the info. and pics on other upcoming BMWs. :D

chuck92103 01-07-2006 07:52 AM

What's the deal with fogs? :dunno:

All new M's (3/5/6) lost their fog lights for air intakes.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms