Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 M3 (2001-2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   Which M3 exhaust should I buy that will reduce the most backpressure? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128457)

Reedo302 01-19-2006 09:55 AM

Which M3 exhaust should I buy that will reduce the most backpressure?

I'm hoping to soon be getting an M3, and I've been looking at alot of different mods and such. I've got my mind set on a number of things from Dinan Stage 3 suspension (*Flame Suit On*) to a Vorsteiner CSL decklid. What I can't figure out is which exhaust to go with. I've looked into Dinan, and I'm seriously considering Dinan since their exhaust reduces approximately 82% of the backpressure created by the stock exhaust system. From what I understand, many after-market exhausts still have alot of backpressure.

Are there any exhausts out there that seriously eliminate as much backpressure as Dinan? Which ones should I look into?

Also, I tried searching for it, and can't find any posts that have sound or video links for the Dinan exhaust. DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO THE SOUNDS OF A DINAN EXHAUST? Or, Does anyone have a Dinan exhaust and how does it sound? I want something with little to no rasp and something that's throaty and rumbles a little bit to let people know I'm there when I'm idling at a light, but nothing terribly loud or obnoxious.

bren 01-19-2006 10:15 AM

You aren't going to get a noticeable performance difference with any muffler alone.

Nothing short of a V8 is going to make the car "rumble" at idle.

Reedo302 01-19-2006 10:35 AM

That's what I was kinda thinking. Didn't know if there was anything out there though...

My main concern is the backpressure thing. I've looked at the internals of the stock exhaust and man is it jacked up!

Pinecone 01-20-2006 06:21 AM

Full head back exhaust system, might get you a few HP in gains, but nothing worth the amount of money.

Nick325xiT 5spd 01-20-2006 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinecone
Full head back exhaust system, might get you a few HP in gains, but nothing worth the amount of money.

Put the Evosport headers on, and run a 4.5" pipe back. It'll be LOUD and fast.

Soylent 01-20-2006 07:09 PM

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/deepvent/M3d.jpg
I replaced my AA exhaust, which I really liked, with the Dinan. I love the sound of the Dinan. It also sounds great at low rpm where the AA was a bit farty.

Reedo302 01-23-2006 09:34 AM

that's a gorgeous sight....those tips.

After consulting with someone, I've decided on the Dinan exhaust. Now I just need to prioritize my mod list

///MLover 01-27-2006 09:07 PM

How about the Gruppe M titanium exhaust. I would like buy that soon. Its only 12 pounds! Compared to 57 pounds. Costs about 2900.:yikes:

Elyas 01-28-2006 09:24 PM

Do a search on exhausts and you'll get tons of answers about Dinan and almost every other exhaust out there for your M. Check out www.klangford.com to hear different exhausts, etc. on your car.

Personally, and speaking from my own experience only, the Dinan exhaust does not sound as good as other exhausts I've heard out there or offer any suitable reduction in "back preassure" from any other brand. . . don't let the marketing and sales fool ya.

Good luck on your decision!!

RaceTripper 03-24-2006 03:36 PM

I've been thinking about this very same thing. I'm leaning towards the SuperSprint Race muffler, plus something to eliminate the rasp, like the Aero AR-20 resonator. Any reasons not to get a setup like this.

I want my M3 to sound like what it should sound like. :D

BahnBaum 03-24-2006 03:45 PM

BahnBaum 03-24-2006 03:46 PM

I like the Dinan sound, less rasp and not silly loud, and I like the look of the tips.

It does look kinda stupid though on cold mornings when vapor is only coming out of one side...

Alex

RaceTripper 03-24-2006 03:50 PM

I heard a sound clip of the Dinan. Didn't sound that much different than stock. I've liked the sound clips I've heard of Borla and SuperSprint.

bren 03-24-2006 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwette
I heard a sound clip of the Dinan. Didn't sound that much different than stock. I've liked the sound clips I've heard of Borla and SuperSprint.

It's much deeper than stock and not as loud as the Borla or SS.

Pinecone 03-25-2006 04:29 AM

I would say Alex's Dinan sounds very close to my Borla.

Bruce 03-25-2006 07:19 AM

Sounds like you want a an exhaust with less backpressure b/c you heard somebody say less backpressure it better. Well...that isn't necessarily true....might be true to a point but an exhaust with no backpressure is not good.

Pinecone 03-26-2006 03:22 AM

No, an exhaust with no back pressure is GREAT, IF you tune the car for it.

VentoGT 03-26-2006 11:02 AM

I don't know about backpressure on my SuperSprint exhaust, but it sounds pretty damned good and throaty without being over the top. It definitely growls more than the stock exhaust, and it doesn't drone at speed either.

Ajax 03-27-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reedo302
that's a gorgeous sight....those tips.

After consulting with someone, I've decided on the Dinan exhaust. Now I just need to prioritize my mod list

Question, the Dinan site says "requires Stage 2 Engine Management Software" or something close to that. I would think to make it worthwhile, you'd need that as well. So an $1800 exhaust just became $2,500.

Or is it "optional."

RaceTripper 03-27-2006 11:30 AM

I decided I'm going to get the Borla exhaust and the Rogue Engineering Rasp-X midpipe. I'm planning to get the Borla from Tuner Motorsports (talked to them this weekend at Gateway Tech), along with some other misc. stuff.

Can anyone recomend a site for buying the Rogue Rasp-X.

Dean