Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   DRL Poll (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150194)

mreamy 06-05-2006 10:50 PM

DRL Poll

Do you use Daytime Running Lights?

RGRAY 06-05-2006 10:53 PM

No, I don't like them.

nhhiep 06-05-2006 11:30 PM

Yes, I like them.

1zamboni 06-05-2006 11:39 PM

It's a safety feature running on both E46 & E90.

RGRAY 06-06-2006 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1zamboni
It's a safety feature running on both E46 & E90.

There is no conclusive evidence that DRLs present any real safety advantages.

http://www.lightsout.org/story.html

Besides, they don't look good and you do not have rear lights in bad weather.

RGRAY 06-06-2006 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
DRLs.

kabhatti 06-06-2006 04:37 AM

I love em, use them all the time, and it does look good in my opinion.

KL2DC 06-06-2006 07:11 AM

I activate them only on road trips...tooling around town, I have them off (post-Sept build car here) :thumbup:

whiskey.org 06-06-2006 07:15 AM

DRL=gm

why burn your halogens all day, it's not a good look IMO

to me it just looks like somebody forgot to turn their lights off

DallasBimmer 06-06-2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiskey.org
DRL=gm

why burn your halogens all day, it's not a good look IMO

to me it just looks like somebody forgot to turn their lights off

Second that.:thumbup:

jsc 06-06-2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGRAY

Many studies show otherwise http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/DRLs/studies.htm

gr8sho 06-06-2006 10:13 AM

I answered no for my E90 only because as a pre-Sept build, I am not afforded the ability to set them myself. Once the car goes in for the recall software update, I will ask for features like this and driveaway autolocks to be set to ON position.

ed325i 06-06-2006 10:43 AM

No choice. It's been the law in Canada for some 15 years.

IMHO, DRL make sense in the freeways and in bad weather. I don't think they make much of a difference in the city on clear days.

mostafao 06-06-2006 10:50 AM

don't even have them!

dspeirs 06-06-2006 12:06 PM

Wait, a website called LightsOut is against DRLs? Wow, that is news. I have read many reports that visibility is increased with lights on in daylight (which makes sense). I use them for saftey and to annoy people against them :-)

Guy Gadois
www.ProDRL.com

Quote:

Besides, they don't look good and you do not have rear lights in bad weather.

phantom701 06-06-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dspeirs
Wait, a website called LightsOut is against DRLs? Wow, that is news. I have read many reports that visibility is increased with lights on in daylight (which makes sense). I use them for saftey and to annoy people against them :-)

Guy Gadois

:clap:

The safety reasons are well proven. There are a few so-called armchair experts like LightsOut who still believe the earth is still flat.

westwest888 06-06-2006 04:13 PM

DRL + angel eyes (parking brakes) looks really lame. I drive around with the rings on during the day.

moviebumm 06-06-2006 04:32 PM

I tried them once and hated them. They are not safe. The more cars that have them that shine unnecessary light in your face makes it easier to be blinded by the light. Once you are blinded by the light the chances of getting into an accident are great. Many of the cars today come with automatic headlights which are more intelligent and work far better. DRL is a technology that does not help society but destroys it.

ed325i 06-06-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moviebumm
... Many of the cars today come with automatic headlights which are more intelligent and work far better. DRL is a technology that does not help society but destroys it.

I have never heard of anyone being blinded by DRL. If that happens, there should be much more people being blinded daily from low beams at night.

Ed

dspeirs 06-06-2006 05:20 PM

Quote:

I tried them once and hated them. They are not safe. The more cars that have them that shine unnecessary light in your face makes it easier to be blinded by the light. Once you are blinded by the light the chances of getting into an accident are great. Many of the cars today come with automatic headlights which are more intelligent and work far better. DRL is a technology that does not help society but destroys it.

Wow, destroying society? I was thinking more in terms of terrorism, drug trafficing and slavery, not DRLs. In any case, I have yet had anyone 'blind' me in daylight with their low beams on. The fact that my DRLs annoy people is good as far as I am concerned. It must mean they see me :-)

Doing my part to destroy society,

Guy Gadois

RGRAY 06-06-2006 05:25 PM

Quote:

Amen.

If EVERY car and truck used them it would be hell.

We have automatic headlights as soon as it starts to get dark we have lights.

So DRLs are only used in regular to bright light.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Also, as I have stated DRLs do not turn on the rear lights so you don't have any rear lights with DRLs and that's not safe in bad weather.

It would be better to use your fog lights so you have rear lights too.

Right now the poll is 50%/50% (31/31). :)

RGRAY 06-06-2006 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dspeirs
Wait, a website called LightsOut is against DRLs? Wow, that is news...
Guy Gadois
www.ProDRL.com

What, do you only want to hear one side of the story?:rofl:

The vote is 50/50.

dspeirs 06-06-2006 05:57 PM

Quote:

What, do you only want to hear one side of the story?:rofl:

The vote is 50/50.

I equate going to www.LightsOut.org for DRL info like going to Philip Morris for advice on quitting smoking. :rofl: :rofl:

chuck92103 06-06-2006 05:59 PM

If DRL's were worth a hoot, insurance companies would give a discount for having them.

I get cut off with or without my lights on.:eek:

akhbhaat 06-06-2006 06:43 PM

DRLs are not bright enough to increase visibility in noon daylight (besides, if you can't see another car during the middle of the day in clear weather, you shouldn't be driving!).

And in bad weather, it makes more sense to run your headlights (I prefer my halogen driving lights as they're less distracting to other drivers and don't reflect off of the road as much), as they're brighter than DRLs and doing so also illuminates the car's tail lights.