Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bimmerfest 2006: Santa Barbara, CA (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Need Help from BimmerFesters for Pending Court Case! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151043)

Tom Powered 06-11-2006 05:08 AM

Need Help from BimmerFesters for Pending Court Case!
 
On the way from Arizona to the SoCal Euro event in Ventura last month, the CHP stopped me and wrote me up for "VC 27605 Vehicle Resembling Law Enforcement Vehicle." This despite the fact that it's all in German and my company's URL is right on the side of the vehicle as well.

I hoping that providing the court with some pictures of my car at BimmerFest will help prove that it's for show car purposes. So if anyone has any pictures of my Polizei E36 at BimmerFest or SoCal Euro PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post them up!

In addition if my car happens to grace any spreads of the magazine coverage of BimmerFest let me know! Thanks guys!

-Tom

Lanc3r 06-11-2006 06:47 AM

I dont have any pics, but that definitely sounds like harassment from the CHP. Who woulda thunk it?

exmercedesowner 06-11-2006 07:59 AM

Have him show you a law enforcement vehicle in this country that looks like that. I bet he's just jealous.

Rsavory 06-11-2006 03:04 PM

Classy front plate, dude. Real classy. And then you wonder why you got singled out by the cops.

Tom Powered 06-11-2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsavory
Classy front plate, dude. Real classy. And then you wonder why you got singled out by the cops.

Actually, the plate never came up. After all, how would he have seen it before he pulled me over? Thanks for your help! :thumbdwn:

Rsavory 06-11-2006 03:49 PM

Np. I'm sure there are lots of pictures of your car out there that will impress the judge mightily. Good luck.

Tom Powered 06-11-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsavory
Np. I'm sure there are lots of pictures of your car out there that will impress the judge mightily. Good luck.

If anything, the plate is further evidence proving that this vehicle is in no way used to imitate a CHP vehicle.

Rsavory 06-11-2006 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Powered
If anything, the plate is further evidence proving that this vehicle is in no way used to imitate a CHP vehicle.


You make a good point, but I wouldn't let the judge see it.

Tom Powered 06-11-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rsavory
You make a good point, but I wouldn't let the judge see it.

Too late, they took pictures of the entire car and pulled myself and my passenger out because we were wearing Polizei shirts. :mad: I guess the t-shirts I sell dozens of qualify as a police uniform. :rofl:

Rsavory 06-11-2006 05:57 PM

The CHPs must have had a lot of time on their hands, hauling in hardened criminals such as you. :rolleyes:

DEATH2000 06-12-2006 08:44 AM

Dude that sucks. Thats kinda messed up but good luck!

BMWenthusiast 06-13-2006 09:57 AM

Tom, where was your car during the show? Was it inside the exhibition hall or outside on the grass or where on the parking lot, just curious since i have a couple hundred pictures it would be easier to locate.

Tom Powered 06-13-2006 03:25 PM

It was inside the exhibit hall.

ajfB004 06-13-2006 03:52 PM

Sorry dude any vehicle that says police on it is required to be a police car even if it resembles the word police it wil apply because the public woudl reasonably think if it says it it must be. Yours is close enough but if your remove the stickers before court and show the judge that they are no longer there I can guarantee that there will be no fine.
The statute does not say it has to look like CHP vehicle to apply, only that it resemble a police car or have police equipment.
Yours says it on the side so it was a good stop.

Tom Powered 06-13-2006 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajfB004
Sorry dude any vehicle that says police on it is required to be a police car even if it resembles the word police it wil apply because the public woudl reasonably think if it says it it must be. Yours is close enough but if your remove the stickers before court and show the judge that they are no longer there I can guarantee that there will be no fine.
The statute does not say it has to look like CHP vehicle to apply, only that it resemble a police car or have police equipment.
Yours says it on the side so it was a good stop.

I disagree, I had logged over 1000 miles within California and Nevada with the Polizei E36 and had absolutely no issues. In fact, I asked a local Ventura PD officer at SoCal Euro about my ticket and he didn't understand why the CHP would have wasted their time with me.

AllGo'n'Show 06-15-2006 06:39 PM

Locally where I'm from I inquired about the same thing... I was going to buy an ex-cop car, make it look exactly like a real cop car, minus the real phone numbers and Calghary POlice, it would just say Police, real working lights and everything. The officers I've talked to about it said it would be just fine, as long as I never pretended to be an officer, used the lights for anything other then offroad (show use), or make people think in any other way I have authority.

Lanc3r 06-16-2006 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllGo'n'Show
Locally where I'm from I inquired about the same thing... I was going to buy an ex-cop car, make it look exactly like a real cop car, minus the real phone numbers and Calghary POlice, it would just say Police, real working lights and everything. The officers I've talked to about it said it would be just fine, as long as I never pretended to be an officer, used the lights for anything other then offroad (show use), or make people think in any other way I have authority.


Thats a good point. If a BMW can be ticketed for imitating a police vehicle, what about all the ex-police vehicles that are sold to the public?

There is no hiding that police enforcement is a multi-billion dollar a year industry, esp. here in the good ole USA.

motor_werke 06-16-2006 07:20 AM

Last night I saw an old american car parked Applebee's, and until I walked past it, it looked like a police car. Black with police looking symbols. Probably was a ~30 year old former police car, and I really don't know the model. When you were 5 feet away you could see that it said "south park" as the district though. :p Anyhow, that seems like a worse copy that the above e36, since we are in the US and there arn't any german police cars here!

Bill-SD 06-18-2006 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterlance
Thats a good point. If a BMW can be ticketed for imitating a police vehicle, what about all the ex-police vehicles that are sold to the public?

There is no hiding that police enforcement is a multi-billion dollar a year industry, esp. here in the good ole USA.

Old police cars don't say "Police" on the side.

Lanc3r 06-18-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill-SD
Old police cars don't say "Police" on the side.


Well technically neither did the Bimmer.

AllGo'n'Show 06-18-2006 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterlance
Well technically neither did the Bimmer.



Damn beat me to it.

AndrewZ 06-18-2006 05:34 PM

I have pics of it at bimmerfest.....But I lost the film:( ........Sorry, if I find it I will send them to you

Ronnaferd 06-19-2006 01:32 PM

That sucks to hear...that cop MUST have been bored that day. Here's a few pictures I took of your sweet whip, :thumbup:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...6/IMG_3161.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...6/IMG_3160.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...6/IMG_3056.jpg

Tom Powered 06-19-2006 04:01 PM

Thanks man!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms