Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Transmission Rebuild (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152336)

bokonnon 06-19-2006 11:40 PM

Transmission Rebuild
 
My tranny just died :( and now I'm weighing my options for replacement. I have the Bently manuals but they don't cover anything internal to the transmission except the filter replacement.

Does anyone know where I might find schematics and procedures for teardown and rebuild of the transmission?

2001 E39 540i Touring w/ Sport Steptronic

Rsavory 06-20-2006 01:23 PM

I'm fascinated. Are you really contemplating a DIY auto tranny rebuild? I have read accounts of rebuilds from experienced tranny shops only lasting 2 years.

bokonnon 06-20-2006 05:06 PM

Man I hope you're wrong about the longevity of rebuilt BMW transmissions. The estimate from the dealership had the parts price around $3400.00 for a REBUILT transmission. There is an outfit in Phoenix that has the transmission for $1950.00 and they'll include a four year warranty for like $450.00. It sounds like that would be 450 well spent if you're right.

Transmissions are easy (once they're out). I know the electrohydrolic BMW transmission are a lot more complex, but it's basically the same beast. I would just like to see some schematics before I open the case. I'll let you know what I find out.

Rsavory 06-20-2006 05:35 PM

I have heard that the factory rebuilt transmissions are fine. The mixed reviews I've seen relate to ones rebuilt at local tranny shops.

You must have just a little mechanical experience in this area. Keep us posted.

chuck92103 06-20-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokonnon
My tranny just died :( and now I'm weighing my options for replacement. I have the Bently manuals but they don't cover anything internal to the transmission except the filter replacement.

Does anyone know where I might find schematics and procedures for teardown and rebuild of the transmission?

2001 E39 540i Touring w/ Sport Steptronic

How many miles on your car?

bokonnon 06-20-2006 07:14 PM

Just went over 64,000 miles. I'm very surprised at how short the life was, and it went FAST! I noticed the first noise and then not more then maybe 10 miles later no more go :thumbdwn:

chuck92103 06-20-2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokonnon
Just went over 64,000 miles. I'm very surprised at how short the life was, and it went FAST! I noticed the first noise and then not more then maybe 10 miles later no more go :thumbdwn:

wow, that is not much mileage. My neighbors 330 vert (2004) lost its tranny after two weeks. It was a brand new car when he bought it.

refatb 11-25-2008 11:13 PM

i took automatic transmission class at Lincoln Tech and tore down and assembled trannys, i kno ur gonna bust up ur knuckles trying to take out and putting in the clutch packs inside and they have to go in a certain way, and certain order and then there are rings that take a while to get into a tiny groove, you also have to replace shift selenoids. you will also need to replace rubber seals and gaskets. as you dissamble take pictures of everything and notes to make sure u can reassemble in reverse order. if you make the slightest mistake, everything will be wrong wit the tranny. you will need a torque wrench/ratchet, because the bolts on the tranny have to be torqued to a certain number of pounds and in a certain order and then retorqued to make sure. do not use silicone gasket sealers, it will break up and get clogged in the filter and wind up inside. dont forget to change the filter and ATF fluid.

refatb 11-25-2008 11:18 PM

im having problems with my 98 528i automatic transmission and im thinking of doing a rebuild myself....my transmission shifts automatically from 1st to 2nd but doesnt shift to 3rd automatically unless i take the shift knob back from "D" to "3" and then push it quickly back to "D" then it shifts to 3rd gear and then it shift to 4th automatically if i dont pull the shift knob from "D" to "3" and back to "D" while on the high way it stays at 2nd gear and the car goes 30MPH while the engine RPM goes to 4000RPM, iam guessing the 3rd gear shift selenoid is bad and needs to be replaced, but since the tranny needs to be opened might as well do a full rebuild and change everything out.

hoss-conn 03-27-2009 05:18 AM

I have seen the scematics on the bmw tranny, I was also thinking of rebuilding my own but there is ALOT to it .

scott0357 03-27-2009 09:00 AM

It was dead at 64k mi???!!! I would go to the BMW dealer and ask to speak to the service manager and ask him nicely for a good well repair, either for free or a big discount. It's not acceptable to have a BMW tranny failing at 64k mi on a $50k car (when new). BMW recommends the lifetime fluid for those cars, and i assume no one has ever worked on that tranny. I think the chances of getting a good well repair from BMW is fairly high.

doru 03-27-2009 09:01 AM

If yours is the ZF 5HP24 tranny, here is the catalog.

If this is not your tranny, let me know and I will post for you.

Good luck

tomibriggs 03-27-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bokonnon (Post 1776456)
I have the Bently manuals but they don't cover anything internal to the transmission except the filter replacement.

Does the manual atleast cover the clutch replacement procedure?

SPORTSTER 94 11-10-2009 01:39 PM

Does anyone know where the tcc solenoid is? Can it be replaced just by dropping the pan while the trans is still in the car? I have a p0740 fault code. How deadly is that? I also have a tinny rattling noise comming from under the car but nothing seems loose. Could it be coming from inside the trans?

poolman 11-10-2009 04:12 PM

There's a company out in Cali. called Dose something that's the sh--t for these BMW trannies--they are the ZF experts and will give the warrenty along with the rebuild--cost I belive is around 1500 plus shipping.

doru 11-10-2009 04:23 PM

Here's a reference website with reputable BMW tranny repair shops.

Here is the automatic tranny catalog for v8 (ZF 5HP24)
Here is the automatic tranny catalog for i6 (ZF 5HP19)

Est1974 11-11-2009 07:56 AM

are you sure its the Tranny? IF the computer module goes bad the codes read that the tranny needs to be replaced!! I know this because I replaced my transmission with the dealer and they still had the code!! They ordered a new computer and presto! Transmission was fine.
BTW: 3 BMW dealers and 2 Indy shops ALL said "i need a new transmission" so unless you buy a new module and install to make sure first there is NO WAY for them to tell

In summary the dealership felt so bad I got a new transmission for 3k with a 100k warranty on parts and labor. They ate the cost of the computer and got the 100k warranty on that as well

so in the end I got a new tranny on a car with 91k and a new computer module at the same time. So im good for a while

rtanov 11-11-2009 10:28 AM

These might help. It's a 7-series but it looks like it's the same tranny - ZF 5HP24
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/474000/
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/482057
Good luck, and keep us posted.

lild 11-11-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by refatb (Post 3727460)
im having problems with my 98 528i automatic transmission and im thinking of doing a rebuild myself....my transmission shifts automatically from 1st to 2nd but doesnt shift to 3rd automatically unless i take the shift knob back from "D" to "3" and then push it quickly back to "D" then it shifts to 3rd gear and then it shift to 4th automatically if i dont pull the shift knob from "D" to "3" and back to "D" while on the high way it stays at 2nd gear and the car goes 30MPH while the engine RPM goes to 4000RPM, iam guessing the 3rd gear shift selenoid is bad and needs to be replaced, but since the tranny needs to be opened might as well do a full rebuild and change everything out.

you need a sensor or selinod that's located on the tranny. when they go bad, you get what your getting.

washburn33 11-11-2009 08:26 PM

I would advise not attempting to rebuild your transmission unless you are an experienced transmission rebuilder. From what I've been told there are various special tools that are required to do it properly. In addition, there are updates that ZF releases that should improve/fix the performance/longevity of the transmission.

Neil1138 11-11-2009 08:31 PM

I see that this thread is very old but someone might still find this useful down the line...

Hi guys! Kinda might help you, dunno. You can look at my auto tear down thread on fanatics, might give you an idea of whats involved. Let me just say that rebuilding an auto really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. We went back after the first time and completely rebuilt it within 90 minutes. It wasn't built in a clean environment but if it was I'm sure it would work again

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=713780

washburn33 11-11-2009 08:48 PM

I don't think that you taking apart your GM trans and taking pictures of it and putting it back together again with no intention of putting it back in the car should be taken as proof that it is easy to properly rebuild their transmission. Very cool none the less.

Neil1138 11-11-2009 09:42 PM

Thanks for the opinion

JW, have you ever torn into an automatic transmission? It's not complicated at all to put back together, everything is very straightforward when you get in there. There were no parts that needed "special tools" to put back or align properly. The K2 clutch pack and the massive slip rings were the most difficult part. I used a sib along the way to guide me but nonetheless, it wasn't that hard like people make it out to be. Now if I had to completely rebuild the valve body from scratch that would have been hard, but I didn't have to. I had taken pictures of where the bearings went before hand so I put them back in the right place. I never replaced seals and gaskets but that would have been easy, i just did it to prove that it isn't hard like most people think

I spent tons of time putting a manual in my e46, I would never put that godforsaken automatic back in :p

Mack 11-11-2009 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1138 (Post 4676716)
I see that this thread is very old but someone might still find this useful down the line...

Hi guys! Kinda might help you, dunno. You can look at my auto tear down thread on fanatics, might give you an idea of whats involved. Let me just say that rebuilding an auto really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. We went back after the first time and completely rebuilt it within 90 minutes. It wasn't built in a clean environment but if it was I'm sure it would work again

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=713780

Bro that post was 100% awesome!

MatWiz 11-11-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil1138 (Post 4676716)
I see that this thread is very old but someone might still find this useful down the line...

Hi guys! Kinda might help you, dunno. You can look at my auto tear down thread on fanatics, might give you an idea of whats involved. Let me just say that rebuilding an auto really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. We went back after the first time and completely rebuilt it within 90 minutes. It wasn't built in a clean environment but if it was I'm sure it would work again

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=713780

NICCCEEE... :D

Neil, do you know the transmission model number?

mw


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms