Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gout,,,,,,Ouch (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168926)

BBBMW 10-06-2006 10:02 AM

Gout,,,,,,Ouch

I have had a flare up of Gout in my foot, big toe to be specific. It hurts like hell and I've been taking the same pills I had the last time it acted up 1 year ago. It been since Monday night. I had to cancel 3 golf games this weekend.:mad:
Fot those people not aware, Gout is a form of arthritis caused by a buildup of Uric Acid. It crystalizes in your joints most commonly in the big toe. :cry:It's like walking on glass shards..

geebeemer 10-06-2006 10:06 AM

Yeooowch!! Googled that bad boy - the image search was :yikes: !

Hope that clears up for you bud. :tsk:

BBBMW 10-06-2006 10:18 AM

Thx Gee, Golf season is just about done for the year and it's pissing me off that I can't play this weekend, it's our Thanksgiving. Nothing better than Golf and Turkey:thumbup:
I guess I shouldn't complain as I got in 75 games from May to Oct.

Jever 10-06-2006 10:26 AM

Imagine that feeling however not just in your toe but your entire foot. Both feet actualy. Mix in some burning and shooting pains, make it chronic for the last 7 months and then get back to me.:p

Hope your stuff goes away soon!

cagoguy 10-06-2006 01:21 PM

Hi BBBMW-

A friend of mine has bouts occasionally. Nasty stuff! Secret weapon: Black Cherry Juice. 100% pure concentrate. He bought it online- people swear by it (in a good way).

Be careful of the medications they give you. Most can have some nasty side effects.

Good luck!

-Cago

BBBMW 10-07-2006 09:51 AM

It's been 5 days and it's better but not great. Still limping:mad:
Jev....I can't imagine what you have been going through. health is so very important when you don't have it.
No golf this weekend. Course closes on the 15th...still time to go shoot that 69:thumbup:

Sabrina 10-07-2006 09:53 AM

My dad had it all the time. Only thing that worked for him was prescription drugs from the doctors ... they say you should stay away from red meat, wine and chocolate ... hell just end your life its not worth living without those :bawling: :p

Jever 10-07-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabrina (Post 1953825)
My dad had it all the time. Only thing that worked for him was prescription drugs from the doctors ... they say you should stay away from red meat, wine and chocolate ... hell just end your life its not worth living without those :bawling: :p

I can do w/out the wine and chocolate but when one of my docs told me to give up eating cow I almost punched his dick hole.

AsianImage 10-07-2006 11:58 AM

GOUT for the WIN!!!

let's see...my daily meds?

I live on ALLOPURINOL (sp?) and COCHICINE! Everyday...2 pills...EVERYDAY!

I have also heard about CHERRY JUICE helping....good luck and trust me I FEEL YOUR PAIN...literally and figuratively. :cry:

BBBMW 10-07-2006 04:09 PM

Nathacin is what I am trying to take now, three times a day.
Alberta beef,,,,mmmmm in Homer Simpson voice.
I guess I might be limping for awhile,:dunno:

Fast Bob 10-07-2006 05:14 PM

Allopurinol + cherries= relief....

cagoguy 10-08-2006 07:48 AM

Isn't it amazing to suddenly realize how many people are suffering with the same ailment?

-Cago

mdsbuc 10-08-2006 11:39 AM

First time I had an attack I thought I had a fracture in my foot. X-rays proved otherwise. Now when I have an attack, a few days on Naproxin usually does the trick.

chivas 06-01-2009 09:53 AM

gout has permanently deformed my left foot. i have a bump sticking out the inside of the foot.

it's not food related but stress. been stressed ever since graduation with nothing lined up and it was only in the last 3 or 4 days was i able to walk without a limp. :(

golfing yesterday was ok. wasn't getting in the way but it felt like i had a bruised toe.

daragez 06-01-2009 09:58 AM

this thread is almost 3 years!......damn!...

chivas 06-01-2009 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daragez (Post 4229646)

it's old but i would rather bump and old thread an get the :aty: attack

bigslickak 06-01-2009 10:48 AM

I feel for you gout sufferers. My cousin has had gout for about 7 years and it can be quite debilitating at times. In fact, my cousin was told he was the youngest documented case that anyone has heard of. Not only feet pain, but knee pain, hip pain, etc. Now, I think he has pretty well under control, but he is on a strict diet....no red meat, etc.

chivas 06-01-2009 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigslickak (Post 4229849)
I feel for you gout sufferers. My cousin has had gout for about 7 years and it can be quite debilitating at times. In fact, my cousin was told he was the youngest documented case that anyone has heard of. Not only feet pain, but knee pain, hip pain, etc. Now, I think he has pretty well under control, but he is on a strict diet....no red meat, etc.

how old was he?

my first attack, i was 20. i thought i broke my foot but it got better after 3 days so i dismissed it as a fluke.

have you asked him to keep a memo of his stress level vs his gout attacks?

MMMM_ERT 06-01-2009 12:03 PM

The OP is banned... must have been a racist.

MMME30W 04-23-2010 04:39 PM

...bump. :(

Have had "broken toe" symptoms off and on for four months...finally went to the Doc yesterday.

Pain was specific to the joint in my right big toe. On a 1 - 10 scale, it was a four or five. Limping, etc. It came and went, but seemed better at times.

Well, he listens to my symptoms, and says it's probably gout. Ah well. Anyways, they pulled some blood for a sample to test for Uric Acid, then put me on 50 mg of indomethacin three times a day.

Since I started it last night, the pain is down to a 1 or 2, which is good.

Will hear back from the test on Monday, so we'll see.

At least I know that my foot isn't broken.

Sucks not to be able to have a glass of red wine.

pintnight 04-23-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daragez (Post 4229646)

Add another year....

Fast Bob 04-23-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llando88 (Post 5129619)
...bump. :(

Have had "broken toe" symptoms off and on for four months...finally went to the Doc yesterday.

Pain was specific to the joint in my right big toe. On a 1 - 10 scale, it was a four or five. Limping, etc. It came and went, but seemed better at times.

Well, he listens to my symptoms, and says it's probably gout. Ah well. Anyways, they pulled some blood for a sample to test for Uric Acid, then put me on 50 mg of indomethacin three times a day.

Since I started it last night, the pain is down to a 1 or 2, which is good.

Will hear back from the test on Monday, so we'll see.

At least I know that my foot isn't broken.

Sucks not to be able to have a glass of red wine.

Allopurinol is another commonly-prescribed med for gout....fresh cherries are a more natural approach....

johnc_22 04-02-2011 04:37 AM

Holy !#%^$ !#$# it hurts! :mad::cry:

I assume this is gout. I've had a bit of it in the past but only for a day or so and only a minor nuisance. After being on my feet all day at the BMW Performance Center for a friend's new car delivery yesterday my left big toe is in agony and my right big toe is feeling symptoms as well. There's no obvious external swelling or inflammation but I woke up at 5:30AM on a freaking Saturday in too much pain to continue trying to sleep. I can barely walk on it. I think I'm going to limp over to Whole Foods for some black cherry juice and see if that helps.

My doctor just prescribed prescription fish oil tablets (Lovaza) for triglycerides and my kidney situation and I'm wondering if this has somehow triggered this . . . either way it sucks big time.

mdsbuc 04-02-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnc_22 (Post 5965462)
Holy !#%^$ !#$# it hurts! :mad::cry:

I assume this is gout. I've had a bit of it in the past but only for a day or so and only a minor nuisance. After being on my feet all day at the BMW Performance Center for a friend's new car delivery yesterday my left big toe is in agony and my right big toe is feeling symptoms as well. There's no obvious external swelling or inflammation but I woke up at 5:30AM on a freaking Saturday in too much pain to continue trying to sleep. I can barely walk on it. I think I'm going to limp over to Whole Foods for some black cherry juice and see if that helps.

My doctor just prescribed prescription fish oil tablets (Lovaza) for triglycerides and my kidney situation and I'm wondering if this has somehow triggered this . . . either way it sucks big time.

I'm thinking back and it does seem, now that you mention it, that my attacks occurred most frequently during a time when I was taking fish oil supplements. I honestly don't think that the medical community has a clue as to what really causes these attacks. Lately I'm thinking that white flour is a contributor to my condition. I went a long period avoiding white flour with no attacks. Recently, while going through a period of eating some good white breads, etc., I had another flair up. Maybe it's a coincidence, I don't know. One thing I have learned is that as soon as you feel the first sign of a flair up, jump on the meds at once, and you can beat it before things get bad. Naproxin doesn't help me much anymore, now it's Indomethacin.

johnc_22 04-02-2011 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdsbuc (Post 5965729)
One thing I have learned is that as soon as you feel the first sign of a flair up, jump on the meds at once, and you can beat it before things get bad. Naproxin doesn't help me much anymore, now it's Indomethacin.

I can't take any sort of NSAID, only acetaminophen which doesn't do much for inflammation.

I have been hydrating with lots of water and organic cherry juice and I'd say the pain is probably down to a 6 from an 8. Still hurts like hell to use my clutch and walking is a chore. :(