Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   of all european cars, why do BMW's seem to attract the cheesiest modders? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16929)

bmw325 12-05-2002 06:43 PM

of all european cars, why do BMW's seem to attract the cheesiest modders?

I rarely see Audis, Mercedes, Porsches, Volvos, Saabs and even VWs that are as cheesily modded as many BMWs. WHat is it about BMWs that attracts the "bling bling" crowd more than the other makes?

Nick325xiT 5spd 12-05-2002 06:47 PM

Performance.

Bimmers attract the crowd that wants to LOOK fast because everyone thinks they GO fast.

Kaz 12-05-2002 06:49 PM

I agree with Nick, BMW pretty clearly seems to be the aspirational brand of choice for yesterday's Honduh r1cers.

MotorenWerke 12-05-2002 07:52 PM

Never seen a modded Mercedes before?.....Well I guess theyre not really modded, but "thugged out" :rolleyes:

Nick325xiT 5spd 12-05-2002 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by buyme///M5
Never seen a modded Mercedes before?.....Well I guess theyre not really modded, but "thugged out" :rolleyes:
I believe it's more of a volume issue. Modded Benzes are almost universally hideous, but you don't see all that many of them. :p

bmw325 12-05-2002 08:05 PM

I'm not saying that I've never seen a modded Benz-- and I agree they can be quite hideous-- but I see them much, much less than modded BMWs. I've never seen a modded Audi in person..

Kaz 12-05-2002 08:13 PM

I live in one of the perennial hotbeds of car modding, and I'd like to think I've seen a little of everything. Modded MBs are pretty rare these days, though they used to be more common a decade ago. Not too many VWs either, but Audis are starting to sport some r1cey and blingy stuff. By far BMWs have lead the EuroTrash movement.

1SICKLEX 12-06-2002 05:47 PM

Cause BMW has the sportiest image, so it attracts *****s. Not to mention you can get a 95 318 for $5000. That does not help.

Whoa I can't say *****s. My bad.

bluer1 12-06-2002 06:17 PM

If you think Schnitzer parts are expensive - go price some Brabus/RUF stuff - ouch!:yikes:

For me, one consideration in the 3er's favor over "another German
manufacturer" was the availability of aftermarket goodies -
there's a lot more choices.

Maybe that has something to do with it?
:dunno:

Matthew330Ci 12-10-2002 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bluer1
If you think Schnitzer parts are expensive - go price some Brabus/RUF stuff - ouch!:yikes:

For me, one consideration in the 3er's favor over "another German
manufacturer" was the availability of aftermarket goodies -
there's a lot more choices.

Maybe that has something to do with it?

chicken, egg... :D

i would think there are many aftermarket products available BECAUSE there is a lot of interest in the cars?

AmericanPsycho 01-02-2003 05:24 PM

nah, uh

Actually, I disagree. Benzes are all over the ghetto rap videos (trust me im 16). BMWs rarely even make it into the song lyrics!

TD 01-02-2003 05:31 PM

Re: nah, uh

Quote:

Originally posted by AmericanPsycho
Actually, I disagree. Benzes are all over the ghetto rap videos (trust me im 16). BMWs rarely even make it into the song lyrics!
16 eh?

:rolleyes:

ff 01-03-2003 08:28 AM

Re: Re: nah, uh

Quote:

Originally posted by TD
16 eh?

:rolleyes:

Yeah, in his (her?) speeding ticket/remorse post, he/she was 19. hmmm...:confused:

Nick325xiT 5spd 01-03-2003 08:36 AM

Quote:

Yes, but rap videos are aimed at people who can afford neither. Thankfully, we see very few Benzes so outfitted as a result.

BMWs, unfortunately, are the next step up for *****s.

·clyde· 01-03-2003 08:45 AM

Quote:

Ice T "Midnight"

Midnight chillin' at A.M P.M.
Coolin' drinkin' apple juice
In Evil's BM
The sound's up loud
To attract attention
rmoraled tires
On a lowered suspension
Nardi to steer with
Alpine deck was glowin'

·clyde· 01-03-2003 08:47 AM

Re: Re: nah, uh

Quote:

Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
Thankfully, we see very few Benzes so outfitted as a result.
I did see one such Benz on Rockville Pike last Sunday Morning. Two county cop cars and a Rockville city cop were giving the driver some attention.

Nick325xiT 5spd 01-03-2003 08:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: nah, uh

Quote:

Originally posted by Clyde@work
I did see one such Benz on Rockville Pike last Sunday Morning. Two county cop cars and a Rockville city cop were giving the driver some attention.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Brashland 01-03-2003 12:28 PM

I have been interested in doing a sociological experiment: feature a more 'common' but nice make of car (let's say a BMW, Prelude, Vette, etc) instead of these super exotics on the rap videos (no Ferrari's, Panteras, 911 turbo convertibles, etc) and see if the theft rate for these vehicles go up.

Kaz 01-03-2003 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Brashland
I have been interested in doing a sociological experiment: feature a more 'common' but nice make of car (let's say a BMW, Prelude, Vette, etc) instead of these super exotics on the rap videos (no Ferrari's, Panteras, 911 turbo convertibles, etc) and see if the theft rate for these vehicles go up.
Don't Tahoes and Escalades count?

Cadillac admits to rappers in Escalades being responsible for the majority of its sales, though I somehow doubt its helping CTS/DeVille/Seville sales at all.

AmericanPsycho 01-03-2003 01:25 PM

ff ... u bother me

Clyde@work...um..alright, but I can name every other song in every created. I mean there are a number with bmws, but Benzes have far more.

ff ,...no, I did not say I was 19, I didnt even say my age. I'm 16

maybe you should check on a new perscription?

ff ... u bother me

The Roadstergal 01-03-2003 01:42 PM

ff - the other kid said he was 19. :dunno:

I don't go for the inexpensive parts argument. Miata parts are far cheaper, but I see more travestied BMWs than Miatae. I'd go for the 'instant status symbol' argument.

I was cruizin' in my BM with no complex
It wasn't B M W - it was B M X...

The HACK 01-03-2003 02:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: nah, uh

Quote:

Originally posted by ff
Yeah, in his (her?) speeding ticket/remorse post, he/she was 19. hmmm...:confused:
Don't you know, trolls AGE in inversely to the passing of time. :lmao:

Kaz 01-03-2003 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Roadstergal

I was cruizin' in my BM with no complex
It wasn't B M W - it was B M X...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Man, I haven't heard that song in AGES!

AmericanPsycho 01-03-2003 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The HACK

Don't you know, trolls AGE in inversely to the passing of time.

...loser