Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   what other model bmw wheels will fit the e65 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178160)

whatwasthat 12-03-2006 11:51 AM

what other model bmw wheels will fit the e65

what other model bmw wheel will fit the e65?? i'm looking for a winter setup, and see a lot of people selling theirs from the 3 and 5 series... i was wondering if they will fit? any specific years..? i'm not familiar w/ bmw as much as hondas and acuras (past cars) where i know that most of the models can change rims - accord/cl/tl/rsx/tsx/even mdx.

jacksprat 12-04-2006 12:05 PM

well they all fit for the most part...as in they all bolt on. But none will have the correct width/offset combo

JA 7 12-04-2006 03:33 PM

are you looking for anything in particular? I can't see the older, smaller rims being more appealing.

whatwasthat 12-04-2006 11:32 PM

uh... i dont really care about the look once winter sets in, just want to make sure i won't slip. i like most of the BMW rims. i like the ones on the current 5, the 5 spoke and the one that comes w/ the sport pkg. i'm looking at the classifieds and see a lot of people sellig rims off 3, and 5 series, just wanted to make sure they will fit and clear the brakes and stuff ya know before buying. i dont wanna buy rims off tirerack , prefer BMW rims..

JA 7 12-05-2006 06:17 AM

ah....gotcha, in texas winter tires aren't too important considering we won't generally see more than a week of inclimate weather. Good luck with your search. Your bolt pattern is 5x120. The only problem I forsee is what jacksprat said about offset. The wheels might sink too far into your fenderwell. Also you want to make sure the new setup will have the same rolling diameter or you will throw off your odometer and speedometer. Do they make winter tires for an 18 or 19" wheel, I see 745 wheels on ebay quite often.

jacksprat 12-06-2006 09:12 AM

u can get the 740Li (e38) 17" base model rims for cheap on ebay. Then wrap those in snow tires. those will fit.

whatwasthat 12-06-2006 12:56 PM

ah.. i'll check those out jacksprat. thanks!

i'm currently debating on the sport pkg rims a couple members are selling in the forum off of their 5 series. i like those the most, my question is to you, i dont' really know what offset is, but again, in just terms of 'working', will the car drive fine? i just want a clear consicous of me not doing anything stupid to the car, just so it can look good. i'm just worried about when my other family members drive the car, i don't want it to be my fault on lack of knowledge...

so, from teh posts above, offset seems to deal with the wheel sticking in or out? that means if the wheels stick out too much - then turning the wheel would touch the fenders? am i right? if so, what's a good range to stay in?

jacksprat 12-06-2006 03:21 PM

if the offset is wrong the rim will either touch the brake caliper or stick out past the fenders in extreme cases. Incorrect offset will position the wheel somewhere inbetween the two extremes.