Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Just received my S54 Engine extended warranty letter... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18257)

///M Rakete 12-28-2002 12:44 PM

Just received my S54 Engine extended warranty letter...

Came in today's mail.

Might keep the car the full six years... that means differential and exhaust upgrades are now real possibilities.

Happy New Year!

:thumbup:

Randy Forbes 12-28-2002 01:45 PM

I was at the dealer yesterday buying an oil filter for the black car and ran into the Service Manager.
Even he already knew of the extended warranty.

I'm lucky though, I consider the staff at Yark BMW in Toledo to be pretty knowledgeable and never too busy to attend to my needs.

They have only had one (1) S-54 failure and it was a rod through the block (brng. failure) in an M Rdstr. The DME had no recorded overrevs.

I have plans to keep the gray car, now with over 20,000 miles for an undetermined amount of time...
Consider that I've had the Healey almost twenty-five years!

BTW, mine came today too.

scottn2retro 12-28-2002 09:26 PM

Got my letter today as well. Since I'm keeping mine for a long time, a longer warranty is good to have :)

gbrown 01-03-2003 07:57 AM

Im not so enthusiastic. Lubricated internal engine parts only right?

Nick325xiT 5spd 01-03-2003 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gbrown
Im not so enthusiastic. Lubricated internal engine parts only right?
Those ARE the problem areas with the engine. :p What were you expecting?

gbrown 01-03-2003 09:54 AM

you need to read my post on S54 EML and SES light issues which would not be covered by this extended deal however they are more common on S54 M Coupe and Roadster than the failing internal engine parts.

///M Rakete 01-03-2003 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gbrown
you need to read my post on S54 EML and SES light issues which would not be covered by this extended deal however they are more common on S54 M Coupe and Roadster than the failing internal engine parts.
Curious, don't you have the Dinan ECU software in your car?

gbrown 01-04-2003 02:35 PM

Sure do. But it was not a factor in the EML and SES issues as all cases of same issues I have witnessed occured on non Dinan modified vehicles.

scottn2retro 01-06-2003 07:45 AM

At the LA Auto show, Tom S., the M manager was asked the question (by Stuka) about an S54 engine solution. His answer was: "We are still investigating because when we arrive at the right solution the first time." He then went on to say that once a solution is decided on, there would probably be some type of service recall. "My advice for S54 owners is to go out and enjoy your cars." :)