Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Poll: Which package should I pick? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18394)

jdblombe 12-31-2002 08:02 AM

Poll: Which package should I pick?

Yes, I'm capable of making my own decisions, but I do greatly value your input and words of expertise. I'm considering two packages: A minimalistic 2.5 Z4 or a semi-loaded 3.0 (considering all of the extra options the 3.0 brings). Here's the two configurations:

Minimalistic Approach:
Z4 2.5
Metallic Paint
Sports Package
Heated Seats
Xenon
(No cruise, powertop, carver stereo)
~$37k

Pricey Approach:
Z4 3.0
Metallic Paint
Sports Package
Heated Seats
Xenon
Power Top
~$44.5k

Difference = $7,500

So far I have only been able to drive the 2.5 with no sports package. I was very impressed with it. Amazing driving dynamics and superb handling/response. I'm sure the sports package would have even upped the ante :dunno:

So now the million dollar question is:
Is the extra .5 Liter, Rear vented brakes, Cruise, Carver Sound worth $7,500?

(Yes, if the 3.0 was *that* much better, I could afford it)

Opinions/Experiences/Words of the Wise Please :eek:

jdblombe 12-31-2002 11:46 AM

re: package

Wow, so far no one likes the cheap route :dunno: :bawling:

MotorenWerke 12-31-2002 12:20 PM

I think that you would be glad that you purchased the 3.0 :dunno:

jdblombe 12-31-2002 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by buyme///M5
I think that you would be glad that you purchased the 3.0 :dunno:
fair enough :confused: ... anyone else?

Daver 12-31-2002 12:46 PM

I've been down this path a number of times, and it is indeed a tough choice. I ended up test-driving the Z3 2.3, Z3 2.8 and the M-Roadster (year 2000)... based on factoring test-drive feelings and cost for desired features, I ended up with the 2.8. I don't regret that decision.

The additional power of the M-Roadster was nice, but the 2.8 met my needs. Similarly, you may find that the 2.5 will suit you fine.

Looking at the features of the two choices you have, I think the only one I'd have a hard time giving up is the cruise-control. If you don't do much long-distance driving, then perhaps this isn't very important to you.

The power-top is kind of nice too... especially now that they raise and fully latch automatically (right?). I had the power-top on my Z3 2.8 and liked the convenience, but then my top was down almost ALL the time... probably could've lived without it.

Stereo probably shouldn't be much of a factor... so long as you get a CD unit if that's what you're looking for.

I honestly don't know which route I'd go ... :dunno: you might also want to check with your insurance company and see if there's much/any difference in the coverage costs... then you've got registration fees...