Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   M3 update (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198568)

jtwoz2 04-05-2007 09:11 AM

M3 update

1 Attachment(s)
One Bad M...

RedBread 04-05-2007 09:18 AM

Very good stuff, thanks!

Listed as 3648 lbs, what was the official weight of the E46?

plien69 04-05-2007 11:24 AM

The footnote for the weight figure in this PDF describes it as
Quote:

Weight of the car in road trim (DIN) plus 75kg for driver and luggage
Why this figure is labeled as "Weight, unladen, to EU" is a mystery.

But taking away 75kg for driver and luggage yields a curb weight of 1580kg, or 3476 lbs, compared to 3415 lbs for the E46 M3, for a net increase of only 61 pounds, which is quite a trick, all things considered. And let's not forget that a good portion of the savings probably comes from the CF roof, which should lower CG relative to the E46.

I think most people were hoping that M GmbH could keep the E92 M under 3500 lbs, and it appears that they have. Let's see, 61 pounds heavier, but with 26 lb-ft more peak torque and ~80 more hp!

Mii 04-05-2007 03:54 PM

Thanks for sharing. From page 18, you can kind of depict that there is going to be a M3 Sedan. Number of doors/seats - 4/4 instead of 2/4 for the coupe.

ObD 04-05-2007 06:45 PM

Thanks for this post. :bigpimp:

jetstream23 04-05-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plien69 (Post 2285299)
The footnote for the weight figure in this PDF describes it as Why this figure is labeled as "Weight, unladen, to EU" is a mystery.

But taking away 75kg for driver and luggage yields a curb weight of 1580kg, or 3476 lbs, compared to 3415 lbs for the E46 M3, for a net increase of only 61 pounds, which is quite a trick, all things considered. And let's not forget that a good portion of the savings probably comes from the CF roof, which should lower CG relative to the E46.

I think most people were hoping that M GmbH could keep the E92 M under 3500 lbs, and it appears that they have. Let's see, 61 pounds heavier, but with 26 lb-ft more peak torque and ~80 more hp!

Isn't the V8 engine actually lighter than the I6 of the e46? I agree that it's a minor miracle that weight has only gone up 61 pounds but if the engine is lighter and they've changed the roof to carbon fiber then they've added more than 61 pounds in other places....just wondering where? :dunno:

Jon Shafer 04-05-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtwoz2 (Post 2284875)
One Bad M...

Thanks for the post!

:thumbup:

FYI I pulled the original file and replaced it with a scrubbed version. BMWNA really frowns on Center personnel pulling this stuff off of their proprietary site, and posting it on Internet forums (usually imposing financial sanctions on the Dealer Principal). :(

James W, your job is safe now!
:angel:

plien69 04-05-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream23 (Post 2286774)
Isn't the V8 engine actually lighter than the I6 of the e46? I agree that it's a minor miracle that weight has only gone up 61 pounds but if the engine is lighter and they've changed the roof to carbon fiber then they've added more than 61 pounds in other places....just wondering where? :dunno:

Well, it is an entirely new car. It's not like they took an E46 and replaced with a CF roof and an engine that's lighter.

The extra weight is probably due to things like (just guessing here):
  • it's longer (by 4.8"), wider (by 1.5")
  • extra bracing and/or structural design elements for additional chassis stiffness
  • the trick shocks (magneto-rheological?) with normal/comfort/sport settings
  • M Servotronic steering
  • additional NVH deadening

jmott 04-12-2007 01:03 PM

I'm pretty appalled at the weight. This isn't progress. It is unavoidable I suppose because the chassis just keeps getting bigger every generation (why? stop!).

To put all this money into the engine, to make it 30lbs lighter, and the roof, and end up 61lbs heavier than the e46 which was already too heavy, is ridiculous, imo.

You can't make up for weight with power alone, unless you are just a drag racer (in which case you could have bought a mustang)

Part of the greatness of BMW is nimble handling, grip, and all around performance. You cannot get that with 3,500lbs of weight. To handle the thermal load from a car that heavy when cornering you would need something like 335mm tires all around and that isn't going to be nimble, or reasonable.

I guess I can vote with my dollars and go buy an E36 M3, and find a way to get this new engine in it =)

The new M3 is a sweet car, but it seems more like a slightly lighter M5 than what I think of as being a great M3. When comparing the M3 to cars like a GTO or Mustang you used to be able to point and laugh at the overweight american iron...not so much anymore.

Moderato 04-13-2007 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream23 (Post 2286774)

Probably the hood scoop.......err I mean power dome, and the cute little "mini air dam" in the rear bumper........err I mean diffuser, and the Ford 150 side view mirrors.......err I mean aerodynamic E36 inspired mirrors and the 50 thousand useless metal kinks and bumps......err I mean flame surfacing! :rofl:

Devil Doc 04-22-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moderato (Post 2303852)
Probably the hood scoop.......err I mean power dome, and the cute little "mini air dam" in the rear bumper........err I mean diffuser, and the Ford 150 side view mirrors.......err I mean aerodynamic E36 inspired mirrors and the 50 thousand useless metal kinks and bumps......err I mean flame surfacing! :rofl:

I take it you do not like the new M3? J/K... I will definitely have to drive it before my opinion on the car is set. I hate the mirrors and a few other minor things. If it's really fast and handles great, some of us can overlook a "dog with a few fleas". \

Ed