Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   2007 x5 4.8i problems (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207112)

jeffx5 05-20-2007 11:42 AM

2007 x5 4.8i problems

Hi Everyone,
I have a 2007 X5 4.8i with sports package. My car has 1400 miles. I have had the following problems> I am wondering if anyone has had the same. My car has been in the shop two times, totalling 22 days so far.
1. Thumping noise from front end when going over bumps or agressively steering. Dealer first tightened bolts, next replaced anti swway bar links ,and alstly repalced anti sway bar. Problem still occuring.
2. Since sway bar was replaced, car makes grinding noise when steering at speeds past 25mph.
3. Radio would cut out . Dealer send ccc unit back to factory for reprogramming. Came back fixed except Traffic report was not working. Dealer fixed traffic report through software.
4. Grease oozing out of back deck on to bumper. Dealer replaced seal. Dealer says problem corrected, and they will replaqce bumper because they can not clean it.
Just wondering if anyone has same circumstances.
I really like driving the car...but I need it fixed !

emcman 05-21-2007 12:16 PM

I have a non sport 07 4.8 and have none of those issues. Just a jerky transmission at times.

Diver624 05-21-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffx5 (Post 2390429)
Hi Everyone,
I have a 2007 X5 4.8i with sports package. My car has 1400 miles. I have had the following problems> I am wondering if anyone has had the same. My car has been in the shop two times, totalling 22 days so far.
1. Thumping noise from front end when going over bumps or agressively steering. Dealer first tightened bolts, next replaced anti swway bar links ,and alstly repalced anti sway bar. Problem still occuring.
2. Since sway bar was replaced, car makes grinding noise when steering at speeds past 25mph.
3. Radio would cut out . Dealer send ccc unit back to factory for reprogramming. Came back fixed except Traffic report was not working. Dealer fixed traffic report through software.
4. Grease oozing out of back deck on to bumper. Dealer replaced seal. Dealer says problem corrected, and they will replaqce bumper because they can not clean it.
Just wondering if anyone has same circumstances.
I really like driving the car...but I need it fixed !

Don't have the suspension or audio issues you described.
It sounds like they botched the suspension fix, the suspension design on the Sport package is new so not many mechanics are familiar with it.
If the "grease" is off white in color then it's a waxy product that is used to line the inside of door and tailgate panels that melts when the weather is warm and then leaks out of the drain holes at the bottom of the panels. The drain holes are covered by rubber plugs that are easy to remove. I had the same problem from the tailgate, windex and a rag took care of the drips on the bumper. I pulled off the plugs and cleaned out as much as I could with Q Tips and haven't had the problem since. If your problem is the wax material there is no need to replace the bumper. Why they use this material is beyond me.

jeffx5 05-21-2007 02:52 PM

thanks diver624

Thanks Diver,
I returned the car to the dealer today to fix suspension problem. I showed them all the places where the protectant was leaking on the side of the car too. They said that they will take care of everything... I will take seals off and clean with q tip when I get truck back. Thanks for your input.
Jeff

packfan81 05-21-2007 08:20 PM

Check the shield over the drive shaft. Mine was misaligned and caused a bumping noise when the chassis was stressed, such as in a turn. Came from the factory this way.

jeffx5 05-21-2007 08:56 PM

packfan

thanks Packfan,
The dealer returned the car to my office today...such service. They said that one of the shields under car was bent...which caused the grinding noise. I am not sure which shield it was, because the porter did not bring any paperwork. I am still not sold on the thumping form under the car being completely gone. They want to replace my back bumper to because they can not restore the finish that the protectant destroyed. The bumpers come unfinished and they have to send them out to be painted. I am not sure if I like this idea. Anyways the shield will probably end up being the one that you had trouble with too.

XZLR8 05-22-2007 04:01 AM

Thankfully, (knock on wood) I've not had any problems...