Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Apple IPhone and my 2006 BMW 650i rock!!! (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215006)

aalonso 07-01-2007 04:29 AM

Apple IPhone and my 2006 BMW 650i rock!!!

The Apple IPhone works great. It pairs perfectly. No more wrong numbers for received calls, no more phone resets, and the entire addres book is now available in IDrive.
I'm not an apple rep or even own stock in apple. This is the best phone that I have ever owned. I highly recomend it. Also, the Edge network is quite fast. I'm up in Otis MA in the of the middle of the mountains posting this thread and it works quite well.

jg59 07-01-2007 05:33 AM

NICE... you are posting it right on your iPhone? Long live APPLE!!

GeneArch 07-01-2007 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aalonso (Post 2477891)
The Apple IPhone works great. It pairs perfectly. No more wrong numbers for received calls, no more phone resets, and the entire addres book is now available in IDrive.
I'm not an apple rep or even own stock in apple. This is the best phone that I have ever owned. I highly recomend it. Also, the Edge network is quite fast. I'm up in Otis MA in the of the middle of the mountains posting this thread and it works quite well.

I'm a Apple user and love their products, and yes.. I think the iPhone is great, but to be honest, my Blackberry 8830 does all of that as well. It works flawlessly with the E63. I was hoping that it would bring more to the table.

Ideally... how about making the phone's address book available to the NAV?

Zeke77 07-01-2007 07:05 AM

How does the iPod portion of your iPhone work in the car? I'm curious because I now own both a Blackberry (which, as noted above, does the entire "phone" function perfectly) and an iPod. I'm assuming you plug in your iPhone to the aux port for music, and let bluetooth take care of the phone?

Sorry if the answer is obvious to everyone else but me.....but I'd like to have one less device in the car if possible.

gbelton 07-01-2007 09:40 AM

Quote:

Wow, it's only been a few days and you are recommending and raving the phone like it is the second coming... Why don't you give a few months and let's here your stories then...

Slow down young grasshopper.:p

pan 07-01-2007 11:50 AM

IPhone is quite impresive. I'm sitting in a coffee shop connected with WIFI. Bluetooth works great in the car. I have over a thousand contacts showing on my iDrive. POP email is fast, readable and writable as long as you use WIFI. On Monday I'll work on connecting to exchange if that's possible.

Apple most likely has a hit if AT&T doesn't blow it.

chuck92103 07-01-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneArch (Post 2478003)
I'm a Apple user and love their products, and yes.. I think the iPhone is great, but to be honest, my Blackberry 8830 does all of that as well. It works flawlessly with the E63. I was hoping that it would bring more to the table.

Ideally... how about making the phone's address book available to the NAV?

Good idea. :thumbup:

fishskis 07-01-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear it. I was about to post to see if anyone had successfully paired the phone; so thank you.

Yesterday I went to every Apple Store in L.A. to pick up an 8 Gig iPhone, and I just kept missing it at each store, each of them having sold out (4 G's were available, but no 8's) shortly before I arrived. I did get to play with it uninterrupted at an ATT store, and it is beautiful; glad it pairs with the 6 with no issues.

jhowton 07-02-2007 06:34 AM

It works with my 9/03 production 645Ci Ipod connection too, so it looks like all years of 645 are fine. I don't have BT installed in my 6er yet, but the iPhone paired perfectly with my M Roadster (and works just fine with the Dension Ice-link+ in that car also). All-in-all, it's a pretty nice phone.

Murtaza 07-02-2007 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbelton (Post 2478305)
Wow, it's only been a few days and you are recommending and raving the phone like it is the second coming... Why don't you give a few months and let's here your stories then...

Slow down young grasshopper.:p

+1

I bought one as well and although it is very clean and has a great interface, there are problems that shouldn't be around in a $600+ phone. This isn't an iPhone forum so I won't bore you guys with the details:)

chuck92103 07-02-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murtaza (Post 2480817)
+1

I bought one as well and although it is very clean and has a great interface, there are problems that shouldn't be around in a $600+ phone. This isn't an iPhone forum so I won't bore you guys with the details:)

Apple is making a whopping 60% profit on each one. :eeps:

beewang 07-02-2007 02:32 PM

Never owned an Apple product, and probably never will (not a gadget freak and am a tight-wad).

But I am a long-time AAPL shareholder and I am glad ya'll like i-phone :)

Chuck, the $$ is not only made from the phone... There is a nice loyalty % payment to AAPL :D

GeneArch 07-02-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92103 (Post 2480912)

According to this engadget article:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/18/5...apples-wallet/

Quote:

According to iSuppli (no affiliation with Apple, of course), the 4GB iPhone will yield a "49.3 percent profit margin on each unit sold at the $499 retail price," while the 8GB rendition will kick back a 46.9-percent margin. You heard right, they're supposing the $499 mobile only costs Apple $245.83 to produce, while the 8GB flavor demands just $264.85. Of course, this isn't the first time a hot-selling product has been broken down by the numbers to prove just how ripped off we're all getting (if these numbers are to be trusted, that is) -- but hey, unless you've got the means to buy capacitors and LCD touchscreens by the boatload, you're probably stuck paying exactly what they ask. Plus if all this sudden competition gets a bit too heated, don't think Apple doesn't have any room to introduce a (highly desired) price drop.

And as another long time Apple shareholder, buy them iPhones!

"Apple's stock has been trading above $100 since the beginning of May, and has moved up steadily into the $120 range in anticipation of the iPhone's roll out.
Quote:

The stock trades at 35 times earnings estimates for fiscal 2007, which ends in September. That may seem pricey until you factor in the fact that earnings are expected to grow an eye-popping 56 percent this year and 21 percent, on average, a year for the next five years, according to estimates from Thomson/First Call."

DaveChapin 07-02-2007 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeke77 (Post 2478031)
How does the iPod portion of your iPhone work in the car? I'm curious because I now own both a Blackberry (which, as noted above, does the entire "phone" function perfectly) and an iPod. I'm assuming you plug in your iPhone to the aux port for music, and let bluetooth take care of the phone?

Sorry if the answer is obvious to everyone else but me.....but I'd like to have one less device in the car if possible.

First on iPod Integration

I have the BMW dealer-installed iPod kit (for 650i). The one that replaces the CD changer. This is the one that does NOT use the AUX jack (have one of those too), but uses the iPod's dock connector. (You plug it in and the iDrive and steering wheel controls control the iPod.)

My iPhone works perfectly with this interface. And unlike a regular iPod (which simply says connected to BMW and that's it), the iPhone is still fully controllable directly. You can view web pages, mail, etc. One nice touch is that when at the unlock screen, the iPhone indicates what song it's playing.

Bluetooth Phone Integration

I also have a Cingular Nokia phone with bluetooth. This has worked well, but I have never been able to get more than a few contacts to ever work with iDrive properly.

So when I activated my iPhone, I did so with the SIM in this phone, and decided to see if 1) it worked at all and 2) handled contacts better. The bottom line is that the thing "Just works". I had no trouble pairing the iPhone with the BMW. All the contacts in my address book just synced over... and there are like hundreds and hundreds. Sending and receiving calls worked just fine. And the iPhone takes advantage of the iDrive signal strength display where-as the Nokia did not.

But what's remarkable is that both these functions work great at the same time.

In fact today, I was listening to the iPhone's iPod in the car when a call came in. The music faded out, the phone ring indicator chimed, and I took the call. And then, after I hung up, the music of course resumed where it left off smooth as can be. So basically you had the iDrive software sending and receiving data over two interfaces (connector bus and bluetooth) to the same device at the same time and it just worked w/o a hiccup.

I was very impressed.

-dave

IrvRobinson 07-03-2007 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChapin (Post 2482235)
First on iPod Integration

I have the BMW dealer-installed iPod kit (for 650i). The one that replaces the CD changer. This is the one that does NOT use the AUX jack (have one of those too), but uses the iPod's dock connector. (You plug it in and the iDrive and steering wheel controls control the iPod.)

My iPhone works perfectly with this interface. And unlike a regular iPod (which simply says connected to BMW and that's it), the iPhone is still fully controllable directly. You can view web pages, mail, etc. One nice touch is that when at the unlock screen, the iPhone indicates what song it's playing.

Bluetooth Phone Integration

I also have a Cingular Nokia phone with bluetooth. This has worked well, but I have never been able to get more than a few contacts to ever work with iDrive properly.

So when I activated my iPhone, I did so with the SIM in this phone, and decided to see if 1) it worked at all and 2) handled contacts better. The bottom line is that the thing "Just works". I had no trouble pairing the iPhone with the BMW. All the contacts in my address book just synced over... and there are like hundreds and hundreds. Sending and receiving calls worked just fine. And the iPhone takes advantage of the iDrive signal strength display where-as the Nokia did not.

But what's remarkable is that both these functions work great at the same time.

In fact today, I was listening to the iPhone's iPod in the car when a call came in. The music faded out, the phone ring indicator chimed, and I took the call. And then, after I hung up, the music of course resumed where it left off smooth as can be. So basically you had the iDrive software sending and receiving data over two interfaces (connector bus and bluetooth) to the same device at the same time and it just worked w/o a hiccup.

I was very impressed.

-dave

yes, everything seems to be working fine, other than the fact the iPhone is not getting charged through the 6FL cable. And the second drawback is the unability to surf the web or check emails while talking on the phone, not while driving of course :)
Other than that, it works perfect and it will only get better with future revisions.

Here is an article that shows full functionality with the iDrive BMW iPhone

pan 07-04-2007 01:59 PM

IPhone charge

The IPhone as others have commented does work very well with the Bluetooth in the 650i. Some have reported it does not charge. When you plug in the iPhone in the 650i iPod kit a message on its screen does say it is incompatible with this accessory. The charging I would love to have but I had planned to use the Nano has the primary player in the car.

A car charger I will now keep in the car for emergency power. The iPhone seems to be an all day phone. I'll reserve that final judgment until next week when work returns to normal. As of now it seems to be great on power.

'Cane 07-04-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck92103 (Post 2480912)

And that is relevant how? Are businesses not entitled to make profit anymore?

ShinySteelRobot 07-11-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

The IPhone as others have commented does work very well with the Bluetooth in the 650i.
iPhone may not work well with older 650's, but it works great with a blender.
http://www.willitblend.com/videos.aspx?video=iphone

Oh the humanity! :D