Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2003 Z4 remote top project (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227312)

epbrown 08-30-2007 02:24 PM

2003 Z4 remote top project

There was a recent thread over on E46fanatics about getting the older E46 3-series cabs to raise and lower their tops using the key fob, a feature the 2003 Z4s are also missing. Piggybacking on that information, I plan to try the same modification to my Z4 tomorrow. What I'm hoping is that someone here (okay, Ron) can confirm I've got the pin-outs right. The plan is to use the following:

Down Module
White - pin 20 (unlock signal detect)
Green - pin 51 (signals top motor to lower)
Red - pin 47 (power)
Black - runs to Up module, sharing Ground connection on pin 10

Up Module
White - pin 22 (lock signal detect)
Green - pin 13 (signals top motor to raise)
Red - runs to Down module, shares Power connection on pin 47
Black - pin 10 (ground)

I'm going ahead tomorrow morning, just looking for a bit of confirmation/reassurance before I begin. :)

fatlaces 08-31-2007 05:08 AM

please post some pictures of the install.
thinking about doing the same :)

pemco 09-01-2007 08:53 AM

well does it work on the Z4?

epbrown 09-01-2007 04:23 PM

Just a quick update - I wasn't able to finish the project today but it looks good - I was able to locate all the wires (which are all the same colors as the E46 cabs, from what I've seen posted) and isolate them and I've programmed the TR7 module for 2 pulses and 12 seconds - what this means is that after I press "unlock - lock - unlock "- on the remote within 5 seconds, the top will lower for 12 seconds (plenty of time for the Z4 top). Tomorrow I'll need to connect 4 wires and I should be good to go!

I did change the project slightly - I decided not to bother with adding the top raising capability, at least for now. I just can't see myself walking away hoping my car finishes closing itself up.

Once I'm done, I'll do a more detailed write-up. There won't be any pictures - one of the glitches I ran into was discover my old digital camera is broken (I also lost my wire crimper somewhere).

RJM007 08-27-2009 05:28 PM

did everything work out OK on this project- was very interested in doing the same but was hoping to get confirmation that this works.

epbrown 08-29-2009 09:56 AM

I sort of lost interest in the project after I bought the M Coupe. :) The thread is still active - in fact 20Ducks posted to it recently, having done the mod to his E46 M3 Cab. AFAIK, no one's completed an E85 Z4 yet.

jrich4411 08-29-2009 02:25 PM

I believe that I've read on one of these boards - I browse Bimmerforums & ZPost as well - that the auto top down from the fob IS an option in these cars and can be turned on by the dealer. I've read that the auto top up from the fob is only available in europe. I recently purchased a used Reinhold module that will give me both the top up & top down from the keyfob but I have yet to install it.

Trapper 09-27-2012 08:08 AM

Hi jrich4411,

I realize this is an old post however I think it is worth a shot. I found the same article you did while surfing the BMW websites (E46 auto top modfication). Did you ever get your Rienhold modul installed? Can you provide some details and what the results were as I am consideing doing the same thing.

brock5ga 09-27-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper (Post 7099656)
Hi jrich4411,

I realize this is an old post however I think it is worth a shot. I found the same article you did while surfing the BMW websites (E46 auto top modfication). Did you ever get your Rienhold modul installed? Can you provide some details and what the results were as I am consideing doing the same thing.

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...de=view&id=126
Look at the Smart Top. Mine has been on for about a month and has worked pretty much flawlessly. Settings are customizable. Auto up and down, moving or not, speed programmable. Easy installation. I would purchase it again. Mine is pretty much a daily driver and I use it daily. I do like the auto up as it is easier to exit the vehicle. Just wish I could program it to lock after the top finished its sequence.

Trapper 09-28-2012 05:21 AM

Thanks Brock5ga!!!! This is perfect ... :thumbup: