Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Convertible,rear Plastic Window (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227755)

geegee 09-02-2007 08:01 AM

Convertible,rear Plastic Window

Any suggestion regarding a good product to clean and condition the rear plastic window

Bimmer_Angel 09-02-2007 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geegee (Post 2616889)
Any suggestion regarding a good product to clean and condition the rear plastic window

Has the plastic turned opaque? If so, the chances are that it is 'past its sell by date'. I had this and no matter what I used, it did not work.

I had to have a new window fitted. The Stealer wanted approx $600 but I found a local firm of coach trimmers [don't know what you call the in the US] and they did it for only $250.

Hope this helps

greenbeem 09-02-2007 09:37 AM

I was watching one of those 4x4 TV shows, and they were polishing Jeep windows with one of those "Mothers Powerballs". All they did was tape off the area around the window to keep from getting polishing compound on it (once you get it into the fabric it's hard to remove), then start buffing. Treat it like you're polishing hard plastic, don't press too hard and don't let the compound dry out. :thumbup:

E36 Phantom 09-02-2007 03:59 PM

Meguiar's PlastX works great, as long is you catch it before its too late. Only 6 bucks so even if it doesn't work, its worth a try.

wag-zhp 09-02-2007 04:44 PM

Yep, use any plastic polish like you would use on the headlight covers. It may not come out perfect, but it will be an improvement. If it doesn't clean up well enough replacement is possible, and as long as you don't go the dealership it shouldn't cost a fortune.

Fleetster 09-03-2007 05:06 AM

Totally agree, Meguiar's PlastX is spot on, i tried on mine as it was like looking through frosted glass. the results were amazing :)

SewerSideUp 09-03-2007 05:10 AM

If I try that on my plastic headllights, would it give a nice shiny finish ? ?
Like clearer lighting ?

geegee 09-03-2007 08:18 AM

TNX for the info.Will give PlastX a try.

wag-zhp 09-03-2007 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SewerSideUp (Post 2618298)
If I try that on my plastic headllights, would it give a nice shiny finish ? ?
Like clearer lighting ?

Note sure if you're being serious... :dunno:

It won't make side markers look like clear corners, but it will clear up cloudy head light covers (or any other plastic, like instrument cluster cover, tail lights, etc...) that have been dulled by years of road debris or the sun pelting them.

SewerSideUp 09-03-2007 10:54 AM

I think I put it in the wrong words !!!
What I meant by clearer lighting was, the headlights. Would they become clearer, I'm not expecting new condition like results.

Mine aren't that bad. Maby not bad at all ! But, would it help ?

Imagine you apply something to youre corners and they magically turn clear overnight !!! I hope that exists !! Lol !