Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   European Delivery (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   New Winter Tires Rental Program (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233930)

john lance 10-01-2007 10:26 AM

New Winter Tires Rental Program

Actually, not so new as I was about to start the program last year but coincidentally the official BMW tire rental program was announced a few days before my website was ready! I thought it prudent not to compete. Now that there is no official Winter tire rental program offered with ED, I would like to let Bimmerfest members know that my program is now up and running - details at http://www.edwintertires.com - and at very affordable rates!

Winter tires, already mounted on aluminum wheels, are fitted and returned to the tire depot in Garching (close to Harms drop-off center). The original wheels are stored there too, for free, for the duration of the rental term - and other accessories including snow-chains, cell-phones, child seats and Sat-Navs will also be available.

beewang 10-01-2007 10:31 AM

:bow::beerchug::banana::clap:

Thank you John for stepping up and set :thumbup: this up for fellow bimmerfesters. You are the man!!!

I will make this a sticky thread. Thank you!!:)

beewang:bigpimp:
Forum Moderator

Kamdog 10-01-2007 10:33 AM

That answers a lot of questions. BMW has stepped up big time to support the ED program, and I hope it continues.

mapezzul 10-01-2007 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamdog (Post 2686869)
That answers a lot of questions. BMW has stepped up big time to support the ED program, and I hope it continues.

This is not through BMW, but a member here on Bimmerfest. He is continuing the tradition of helping those that want to take delivery in Munich. As Beewang operates a nav loaner system, John has arranged the same for tires and other items. Correct me if I am wrong but that is the way I interpreted it. All the same thanks John for getting things rolling as it were!

Best of luck!:thumbup:

DXK 10-01-2007 10:54 AM

John, I wonder if down the road, you can work with BMW to allow the car to be shipped with winter tires back to U.S. Another words, I pick up the car, have the tires replaced to the new winter tires that I will have bought, not rented, then return the car as is and have the original tires shipped back to U.S. This option would be good for those of us who need to buy winter tires anyway. Although with current exchange rate, who knows.

john lance 10-01-2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXK (Post 2686946)
John, I wonder if down the road, you can work with BMW to allow the car to be shipped with winter tires back to U.S. Another words, I pick up the car, have the tires replaced to the new winter tires that I will have bought, not rented, then return the car as is and have the original tires shipped back to U.S. This option would be good for those of us who need to buy winter tires anyway. Although with current exchange rate, who knows.

The shipping of a set of Winter Tires costs around 400 Euros. As you say, with the current exchange rate it's probably cheaper for you to buy your permanent set of Winter tires in the USA!

JSpira 10-01-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DXK (Post 2686946)
John, I wonder if down the road, you can work with BMW to allow the car to be shipped with winter tires back to U.S.

Not possible and won't happen.

JSpira 10-01-2007 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamdog (Post 2686869)
BMW has stepped up big time to support the ED program, and I hope it continues.

They did?:dunno:

JSpira 10-01-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john lance (Post 2686838)
New Winter Tires Rental Program.

John, I think this is a great idea.

Now, if we hook you and Rolf up together, it will be EDENTERPRISES.COM. :angel:

And we'll let you sell copies of my calendar too of course :)

Ucla95 10-01-2007 11:21 AM

This is really quite incredible. Looking at the list, are you sure you can get 16's on a 550i?

JSpira 10-01-2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ucla95 (Post 2687032)
This is really quite incredible. Looking at the list, are you sure you can get 16's on a 550i?

550i requires 17" tires.

cipher5 10-01-2007 12:21 PM

is it possible to do less than 6 day rental?

john lance 10-01-2007 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSpira (Post 2687040)
550i requires 17" tires.

I was working from the official BMW price list on which it says 550i and 16 inch tires. I am still awaiting the final list of tire sizes from the depot.

john lance 10-01-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cipher5 (Post 2687173)
is it possible to do less than 6 day rental?

Sure, any length rental is possible. The cost would fall within the "Up to 6 days" rental period.

JSpira 10-01-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john lance (Post 2687175)
I was working from the official BMW price list on which it says 550i and 16 inch tires. I am still awaiting the final list of tire sizes from the depot.

I would recommend you also look at Tire Rack. I spoke to someone there and also to Bridgestone and they told me 17" was the smallest for my car.

DXK 10-01-2007 01:47 PM

sensors

John,
Not sure if it's already a part of the work, but 2007 and later models with flat tires require the TMPS sensor monitors. Those can be taken from the oem wheels or can come separetely

john lance 10-01-2007 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSpira (Post 2687040)
550i requires 17" tires.

You are absolutely correct, I mis-read the specification and will have the website amended! Thank you for pointing it out.

gesoffen 10-01-2007 07:13 PM

Great Idea! And great (so far anyway) execution!

One word of advice: on the rates page, it details the mounting and unmounting of "tires" rather than wheel/tire combination. Many people might get confused that you'll be pulling the summer rubber off of the OEM wheels and mounting/balancing winter rubber. You may want to clarify that it is a simple wheel/tire swap to avoid a flood of repetitive emails.

john lance 10-01-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gesoffen (Post 2688359)
Great Idea! And great (so far anyway) execution!

One word of advice: on the rates page, it details the mounting and unmounting of "tires" rather than wheel/tire combination. Many people might get confused that you'll be pulling the summer rubber off of the OEM wheels and mounting/balancing winter rubber. You may want to clarify that it is a simple wheel/tire swap to avoid a flood of repetitive emails.

Thank you for this, I will have the information amended accordingly. Any other comments about the website are gratefully received!

gibran1984 10-01-2007 11:08 PM

I see on the site that it is not located far from Harms...how far is it going to be from the Welt?

john lance 10-02-2007 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gibran1984 (Post 2688773)
I see on the site that it is not located far from Harms...how far is it going to be from the Welt?

You take exactly the same route as if going to Harms. It is (according to Mapquest.de) a 9-mile drive from BMW-Welt on the Lerchenauaerstrasse in Munich to the depot on the Zeppelinstrasse in Garching, a journey that they say takes 13 minutes (although the driving-time will depend very much on the time of day). The tire-depot is easily located just off the Autobahn A9 (Munchen-Nurnberg), exit 76 Garching-Sud. Exact directions are sent with each confirmation. There was a choice of course of using a depot close to BMW-Welt but I thought it better to have the drop-off next to Harms in Garching so that at the end of the rental it would a) not be necessary to drive into Munich again and b) be just a couple of hundred yards from there to Harms (which is on the very next street!), thus avoiding anyone dropping off their car too late and/or in the event of snowy road conditions, driving under possible pressure of time from a depot near BMW-Welt to Harms on Summer tires.

am_ver 10-02-2007 12:24 PM

drop off has to be Munich, right?!

beewang 10-02-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by am_ver (Post 2690131)
drop off has to be Munich, right?!

Would you like to carry you 4 OEM tires with you on your trip and ship the 4 snowtires and wheels back via DeutschePost :p

borisivan 10-02-2007 01:35 PM

Hi John

sent you a PM a few days ago re: some ?s.

beewang 10-02-2007 01:46 PM

If your question is a private matter. I think you should email him rather than PM. The PM function here at bimmerfest is inadequate especially if OP gets a chunck of PMs.

Otherwise, post your question here so others can benefit from the same question;)