Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   never saw a 3 coupe do this (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242056)

supermick 11-07-2007 05:11 AM

never saw a 3 coupe do this
 
Place 3rd in a test!!!!!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carrevi...vs_rivals.html

Chris90 11-07-2007 05:24 AM

Tough competition, and they didn't like the styling. I'm waiting for the EVO review/comparison.

theslik1 11-07-2007 06:03 AM

This was just posted in 1Addicts. I expect a long, flame-filled thread... :eeps:

Andrew*Debbie 11-07-2007 07:15 AM

It isn't all negative:

Quote:

To put its performance in perspective, that's in the same league as the Porsche Cayman S and Aston Martin V8 Vantage. Unsurprisingly, the Audi and VW were left trailing behind.

Even more impressive than the engine's top-end urge is its flexibility and responsiveness. There's no lag, hesitation or gaps in a powerband that's perhaps the broadest of any engine. Peak torque of 400Nm arrives at 1,300rpm, and it's maintained all the way to 5,000rpm.

In daily driving conditions, this means sixth gear pulls hard from 35mph, plus there is never any need to change down and fuel consumption isn't excessive. We rate this as the best real-world engine available today

And I disagree with the writers on the styling. In my mind it looks much better than the GTI.

The real surprise is the complaints about ride and handling. The 135i is larger and heavier, so I could believe worse tight track performance. Top Gear review of the 130i hatch vs. the R32 gave VW the win. I didn't expect to see vague and bounced around though.

Have to wait for more reviews and a personal test drive.

inTgr8r 11-07-2007 07:15 AM

Did you notice all the VAG advertising????
- methinks a little bias showing....

supermick 11-07-2007 07:25 AM

the 1 has gotten poor reviews (sedan an hatchback), from the euro press for years.

sbw 11-07-2007 08:37 AM

Very surprising rank by the 1 coupe! And from the sounds of the intro, BMW never fares well in Auto Express comparos. Maybe BMW doesn't spend enough advertising money with them. :dunno:

Technic 11-07-2007 09:58 AM

What stunned me was that a 135i in England pays $7,692.80 in taxes every fricking year... :yikes:

swajames 11-07-2007 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inTgr8r (Post 2780491)
Did you notice all the VAG advertising????
- methinks a little bias showing....

Not at all, it's contextual advertising. Right now the review pages are showing a bunch of BMW 1 Series commercials.

swajames 11-07-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technic (Post 2780968)
What stunned me was that a 135i in England pays $7,692.80 in taxes every fricking year... :yikes:

Only if you got given the car as part of your compensation and benefits package, which is much more common in the UK than the US. A percentage of the car's value is treated as income and taxed at the marginal rate (and rates can also vary based on emissions etc.) This specific tax wouldn't apply if you bought the car independently.

Chris90 11-07-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbw (Post 2780719)
Very surprising rank by the 1 coupe! And from the sounds of the intro, BMW never fares well in Auto Express comparos. Maybe BMW doesn't spend enough advertising money with them. :dunno:

I never buy that magazine because it's all advertising. CAR and Evo are superior.

BlackJetE90 11-07-2007 04:07 PM

Its weird if you read reviews they did on the E90 & E92 chassis they said it had exceptional handling. But they didn't like the 135i chassis. Every other mag or press has been saying the complete opposite. The previous 1-series in Europe must have left a really bad taste in their mouth. They said the Golf interior is on par with the 135i, now that is funny, LOL. Jermey Clarkson hated on the Audi TT.

Chris90 11-07-2007 04:12 PM

Short wheelbase + runflat tires and stiff suspension is going to make the ride choppy. UK has terrible roads, so maybe the car isn't well suited to their roads.

BlackJetE90 11-07-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg90 (Post 2782108)
Short wheelbase + runflat tires and stiff suspension is going to make the ride choppy. UK has terrible roads, so maybe the car isn't well suited to their roads.

Yep you are probably right.

When is BMW going to realize that runflats suck a big one? Most everyone ends up replacing them.

Pedal2Floor 11-08-2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg90 (Post 2782108)
Short wheelbase + runflat tires and stiff suspension is going to make the ride choppy. UK has terrible roads, so maybe the car isn't well suited to their roads.

Are Southern New England/Metro NY/NJ roads any better?

Have not been to the Boston/Bay Area in a while but it seems they are often no better.

The winter messes up the roads big time

Chris90 11-08-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor (Post 2783621)
Are Southern New England/Metro NY/NJ roads any better?

Have not been to the Boston/Bay Area in a while but it seems they are often no better.

The winter messes up the roads big time

No, but the back roads tend to be in good shape. I'm just saying the UK mags consider handling on bad roads a major factor, but it's ignored in US reviews.

supermick 11-08-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg90 (Post 2783949)
No, but the back roads tend to be in good shape. I'm just saying the UK mags consider handling on bad roads a major factor, but it's ignored in US reviews.

Plus they demand sharper handling, their roads are narrow, and bumpy.

I like the euro press reviews, car online, car review, autocar, auto express, and 4car, are good resources.

akhbhaat 11-09-2007 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 (Post 2782088)
Its weird if you read reviews they did on the E90 & E92 chassis they said it had exceptional handling. But they didn't like the 135i chassis. Every other mag or press has been saying the complete opposite. The previous 1-series in Europe must have left a really bad taste in their mouth. They said the Golf interior is on par with the 135i, now that is funny, LOL. Jermey Clarkson hated on the Audi TT.

That's because the Golf interior is on par with the 1 series. Nothing funny about that - it's true. Not much of an insult, though (it's more of a jab at the price of the 1 series than the actual quality of its interior). VW/Audi have always done a top notch job with their interiors in terms of ergonomics and materials at a variety of price points.

As far as handling is concerned: a short wheelbase car with a taut suspension is going to be choppy and even touchy at times, as somebody else already pointed out. The 1 series does feel like a larger BMW for the most part (when cruising or otherwise driving normally), but you shouldn't expect it to behave or perform just like the longer wheelbase E9X cars when pushed.

The 1er has fared poorly in European reviews because it is overpriced and impractical relative to much of the direct competition (e.g. Golf/A3, various offerings from the French and Italian manufacturers, MB B-class). Hatchbacks are the European equivalent of an SUV or large family sedan, so those factors will weigh in significantly when the car is evaluated. Remember that even when Top Gear compared the two (a performance oriented show to be sure), Clarkson remarked that even though the 130i was more fun than the R32 when pushed, it had too many design flaws otherwise and therefore was the inferior car.

BlackJetE90 11-09-2007 07:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by akhbhaat (Post 2786366)
That's because the Golf interior is on par with the 1 series. Nothing funny about that - it's true. Not much of an insult, though (it's more of a jab at the price of the 1 series than the actual quality of its interior). VW/Audi have always done a top notch job with their interiors in terms of ergonomics and materials at a variety of price points.

Umm, did you look at the photos in the article. If they think these interiors are similar quality thats funny. My buddy has a new Gti with leather, but it doesn't look like these crappy cloth seats in the Gti pictures.

It looks like they cut up some Scottish kilts and made seat covers. Gave me a good laugh.:rofl:

-

akhbhaat 11-10-2007 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 (Post 2788513)
Umm, did you look at the photos in the article. If they think these interiors are similar quality thats funny. My buddy has a new Gti with leather, but it doesn't look like these crappy cloth seats in the Gti pictures.

It looks like they cut up some Scottish kilts and made seat covers. Gave me a good laugh.:rofl:

Not that I would expect you to understand, but the plaid seating in the Golf is a deliberate retro touch. VW is trying to resurrect impressions of the old (well loved) MkI. At least one German manufacturer out there remembers where they came from.

Are we talking about aesthetics or function, here? Because when I talk about interiors, I'm concerned only with function (and the quality of the materials, to a lesser extent). I don't care about how it looks, because my eyes are on the road and the other vehicles around me. I do care about the seating position and the locations of the critical controls.

And there's nothing wrong with cloth seating. I live in Florida, and I wouldn't even dream of using a leather couch on my lanai, especially in the summer. So why would I want leather seating in my car? I suppose that people are too drawn in by the pseudo-luxury look to consider the fact that the only place leather seating belongs is in a climate controlled living room. And leatherette is even worse still. I've taken to wrapping wash towels around my driver's seat during the summer so that there's enough air circulating between my back and the plastic to prevent my body from giving itself a bath. :rolleyes: I've even considered installing one of those cheesy sheepskin covers...

BlackJetE90 11-10-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhbhaat (Post 2789229)
Not that I would expect you to understand, but the plaid seating in the Golf is a deliberate retro touch. VW is trying to resurrect impressions of the old (well loved) MkI. At least one German manufacturer out there remembers where they came from.

Are we talking about aesthetics or function, here? Because when I talk about interiors, I'm concerned only with function (and the quality of the materials, to a lesser extent). I don't care about how it looks, because my eyes are on the road and the other vehicles around me. I do care about the seating position and the locations of the critical controls.

And there's nothing wrong with cloth seating. I live in Florida, and I wouldn't even dream of using a leather couch on my lanai, especially in the summer. So why would I want leather seating in my car? I suppose that people are too drawn in by the pseudo-luxury look to consider the fact that the only place leather seating belongs is in a climate controlled living room. And leatherette is even worse still. I've taken to wrapping wash towels around my driver's seat during the summer so that there's enough air circulating between my back and the plastic to prevent my body from giving itself a bath. :rolleyes: I've even considered installing one of those cheesy sheepskin covers...


Some retro styling, needs not to be brought back.:yikes:

I normally don't like cloth, because it usually has some hideous pattern on it, like these Golf seats.

Plus all the cars I have owned in the past ten years have been mid-sized or above cars, exception my E90 I had for 9 months (horrible). They don't exactly look correct with cloth, I can't see me driving a $50,000+ with cloth seats.

I'd probably buy my wife a cute little Golf, but she really wants the 135i, she thinks its cute and I could have a lot of fun driving it on occasion. And there is no way in hell she wants cloth or leatherette in it, she'll want the sports package and premium package.

My buddies Gti with leather looks a lot better than those plaid seats. But if the 135i fit and finish looks like the E90, then Gti interior is not on par with it. From the pics of the 135i I have seen, it looks on par with BMW quality. But I will let you know next week, because I'll see one in person at the LA Auto Show.

germanblood 11-10-2007 04:46 PM

That review is hilarious. They would rather choose a front wheel driven, underpowered, posers car in the TT over a driver's car with 300hp and great driving dynamics. Also, have fun spending thousands on repairs after you buy either VW (the TT is a Golf with a stylish exterior). I'll give the VW contingent the nod for better interiors, but overall, I think the 1er is gonna be way more fun to drive.

Chris90 11-10-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germanblood (Post 2790375)
That review is hilarious. They would rather choose a front wheel driven, underpowered, posers car in the TT over a driver's car with 300hp and great driving dynamics.

That's going a bit far. It's 300 lbs lighter than the 135i, and they liked the way it drove.

Quote:

The real revelation is the way it drives.

It's sharp and inspires confidence. The steering is better than the BMW's, and helped by the fact it's lower to the ground. The Audi feels more planted and secure on the road. It turns in hard, grips well and is more informative than the 135i and Golf.
But Autoexpress is a pretty lightweight magazine, ever picked one up? It's mostly ads.

germanblood 11-10-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg90 (Post 2790387)
That's going a bit far. It's 300 lbs lighter than the 135i, and they liked the way it drove.



But Autoexpress is a pretty lightweight magazine, ever picked one up? It's mostly ads.

have you ever driven a TT- it's hardely worth $40k!

BlackJetE90 11-11-2007 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germanblood (Post 2790403)
have you ever driven a TT- it's hardely worth $40k!

I am not a big TT fan either its a chicks car, its a Golf chassis dressed up in Audi clothes.

I just have never liked front-wheel drive cars. Not appealing one bit. Everyone always bitches about how involving a car is, front-wheel drive to me is no fun.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms