Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 Series DIY (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   E39 rear window regulator repair kit available (E39 up to 6/99) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268467)

Lancem 03-08-2008 12:03 PM

E39 rear window regulator repair kit available (E39 up to 6/99)

OK,
Since my post about my repair of the rear window regulator over at bimmerforums it was suggested that I post here so that inexpensive fix could be spread across the E39 community.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=860874

I've been asked if I could produce the parts to make the repair. I've torn apart my good door to get measurements and have everything ready to go to make repair kits available for those of you that are interested. These parts will be nice, not like what are pictured in my original repair.

The repair kit will include parts to repair 2 rear window regulators for the typical broken slider problem. The kit will include the repair parts, nuts, bolts, proper drill bit, hex key, and instructions with pictures. All you will need are basic hand tools and a drill. To keep from having to print a lot of stuff I plan to send the instructions by email so be aware.

I'm not planning on getting rich here just helping other E39 owners with what is a common and expensive repair. Oh yeah, the price is $15 shipped in the US. I know sticker shock.... and I can take PayPal if it makes things easier.

These parts will only fit the rear regulators not the front.

If you are interested send me a PM and I'll hook you up, if this post breaks the rules delete it and you have my apology.

Thanks,
Lance

http://www.bmwrepairkit.com/

PJB. 03-08-2008 12:33 PM

Bump for a good guy, and to fix his link. I have no idea why yours isn't working:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=940631

gundamit1 03-08-2008 12:38 PM

Bump for lance and this kit, I just bought the kit and cant wait to install it. By the way lance when will I get the instructions...???:)

chivas 03-08-2008 12:40 PM

:thumbup:

BASTOS D 03-08-2008 01:27 PM

Thanks for thought! Has anyone used this kit successfully? I'm interested.

Lancem 03-08-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gundamit1 (Post 3071448)
Bump for lance and this kit, I just bought the kit and cant wait to install it. By the way lance when will I get the instructions...???:)

I sent them to your paypal account email, if it's not correct PM me.

Lance

Lancem 03-08-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BASTOS D (Post 3071543)

Not yet, first shipment goes out Monday. I have used it myself successfully and I recommend as preventive maintaince to prevent the failure from happening and leaving you with a window inop.

Lance

PJB. 03-08-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BASTOS D (Post 3071543)

It's only $15, go for it!! I don't need them, but they're good to have if I ever do need them. Ay Bastos, you'll be saying salamat!

Synaps3 03-08-2008 02:42 PM

Hey lance I will definitely buy one but I need about a week to decide. How long is this offer going to be open?

MartinV 03-08-2008 02:53 PM

Bump for Lance!!!!!!! You could also consider this preventive maintanence, because with the huge failure rate on the regulators its more of a when not an if.

Thanks Lance for posting it here, you have my order buddy.

Lancem 03-08-2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synaps3 (Post 3071687)
Hey lance I will definitely buy one but I need about a week to decide. How long is this offer going to be open?

I hadn't really thought about it, for a while at least. I have enough material to make more and probably will as long as there is a demand.

Lancem 03-08-2008 03:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I had a request for some pics of the repair parts, these pics are of one part and hardware which is all stainless, two sets are included in the repair kit.

Lance

chivas 03-08-2008 04:03 PM

you know, i would get them and change mine out eventhough they're fine... for now.

gundamit1 03-09-2008 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJB. (Post 3071577)
It's only $15, go for it!! I don't need them, but they're good to have if I ever do need them. Ay Bastos, you'll be saying salamat!

LOL:rofl: Yes you will be saying salamat!!!!

Lance I will double check again for the instructions if not I will definitely PM you.:thumbup:

Raymond919 03-09-2008 08:56 AM

Lance, you sound like a great guy to do this without trying to fleece everyone on the cost.

I replaced both rear regulators in 2007 and anticipate that the fronts might go (not sure if the previous owner replaced them or not). Put me on the list for the fronts if you get that finalized. I'd buy a set just to have on hand for when they eventually go.
Many thanks,
Ray (Raymond919@aol.com)

Lancem 03-10-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond919 (Post 3072904)
Lance, you sound like a great guy to do this without trying to fleece everyone on the cost.

I replaced both rear regulators in 2007 and anticipate that the fronts might go (not sure if the previous owner replaced them or not). Put me on the list for the fronts if you get that finalized. I'd buy a set just to have on hand for when they eventually go.
Many thanks,
Ray (Raymond919@aol.com)

Thanks Ray,

Really the fleece is there, it's just that it's reasonable :)

Actually it's just that I've been doing stuff like this all my life at work and have a pretty nice shop setup at home that makes doing things like this pretty easy. Once you get the fixtures made it's sort of mass production time, so it's not like I'm spending hours making up each kit. I'm just lucky to have sources for material and experience doing things just like this that keeps the fleece reasonable and profitable enough for me to produce them. Of course then I keep thinking 100,000 + E39's produced times $15....... Wow sort of like hitting the lotto :)

Lance

cn90 03-10-2008 01:18 PM

Very clever.

I did the same thing on my E23 (sold) 1983 735i, FRONT driver's regulator.
The motor is made by Bosch (or ? Siemens) but the only thing broken was the same clip, so I made something similar and it worked great until I sold the car.

When people say regulator is broken in a bimmer, usually this is the culprit, NOT the motor itself.

Very clever!

lenayres 03-23-2008 03:45 PM

I didn't know about this solution last year when I paid big bucks to self repair (replace) my right rear window regulator. Yesterday, my left rear window did the same thing, so I would like to purchase your kit to fix this nagging problem. You mentioned that the purchase can by made via Pay Pal. If you wish to use Pay Pal, then I need your ID to initiate the transaction. Thanks in advance for posting this valuable alternative for the community.

bimmerd00d 03-23-2008 04:16 PM

IN like you wouldn't believe. As soon as I get home i'll get the payment out to you.

nofun 03-24-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancem (Post 3071815)
I hadn't really thought about it, for a while at least. I have enough material to make more and probably will as long as there is a demand.

If this offer is still available (looks to be, as it was posted just a short while ago) I think I need to take you up on it. Drivers rear dropped this weekend... JB weld just didn't hold up last time. If you could e-mail me directly (see e-mail below ) I'll arrange getting you payment asap.

nofun (bmwforums lurker in need of own workshop)
nofun97 AT yahoo DOT com

Lancem 03-24-2008 12:38 PM

email sent

tspeed 03-28-2008 01:17 PM

You got mail. I need your repair kit also.

Thanks

fv9ers 03-31-2008 05:29 PM

Hey Lancem,

Can you send me the information on how to order this part. My email is below.

fv9ers at gmail dot com.

Thanks,

rijones 03-31-2008 05:47 PM

Need a kit too!

Hi,

Window just broke 2 days ago. Noticed cable was not attached. Googled for a fix and within 15 minutes I find a great DIY forum and a dude who sells a repair kit. God I love the internet! I'll be happy to Paypal you $15. Can I get your email address somehow? Mine is n3ikq at yahoo dot com.

Lancem 04-01-2008 03:00 PM

fv9ers, rijones, email sent

Lance