Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   my control arm story (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268569)

downhiller 03-08-2008 08:13 PM

my control arm story

so today i took on the challenge of swapping control arms. i had the pelican parts procedure memorized so the job would go a tid bit faster. so i start tearing into things, it took more time to find an impact then it did to take everything but the upper ball joint nut off.

so im running throu everything in my head remembering what pelican said. lower vehical an get from top. upon lowering the car and trying to get the nut from the top i ran into a small problem, the exhaust manifold was in the way:madrazz:.

i didnt want to remove the manifld, because i know the gasket is bad and dont want to make it worse and no one in this town had one. so i get the car back in the air and try everything else possible. that wasnt gunna happen:doh:. at this time im pissed off, busted a knucle on the exhaust, and they were goin to close the shop in 30 minutes. so im at the point, attempt the remove manifold and finish it, or put it back together and have a shop do it.

i decided to put it back together and have someone else do it. my main resoning, i looked on the drivers side to see how hard that was gunna be. yea i can do it, but i dont want to think of how im goin to get an impact in there and remove that nut.

so im depressed that i couldnt finish something i started and the fact im goin to take it somewhere to have it worked on.

Paul Christian 03-08-2008 10:08 PM

well you tryed to do it...cheers....

chazbo1952 03-09-2008 03:55 AM

I made a wrench to remove those upper bolts. I always keep a set of cheap flea market wrenches so I can cut, weld or bend them to fit just about purpose.

slimphilster 08-29-2009 11:02 AM

replacing control arms

Hey chazbo, I have a 325e 1985 need to get to that inner ball joint nut, how long is the wrench you made for that and is it a 17mm

slimphilster

markseven 08-29-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downhiller (Post 3072287)
so today i took on the challenge of swapping control arms. i had the pelican parts procedure memorized so the job would go a tid bit faster. so i start tearing into things, it took more time to find an impact then it did to take everything but the upper ball joint nut off.

so im running throu everything in my head remembering what pelican said. lower vehical an get from top. upon lowering the car and trying to get the nut from the top i ran into a small problem, the exhaust manifold was in the way:madrazz:.

i didnt want to remove the manifld, because i know the gasket is bad and dont want to make it worse and no one in this town had one. so i get the car back in the air and try everything else possible. that wasnt gunna happen:doh:. at this time im pissed off, busted a knucle on the exhaust, and they were goin to close the shop in 30 minutes. so im at the point, attempt the remove manifold and finish it, or put it back together and have a shop do it.

i decided to put it back together and have someone else do it. my main resoning, i looked on the drivers side to see how hard that was gunna be. yea i can do it, but i dont want to think of how im goin to get an impact in there and remove that nut.

so im depressed that i couldnt finish something i started and the fact im goin to take it somewhere to have it worked on.

A+ for effort :thumbup:

anstead610 08-29-2009 12:35 PM

holy anal batman thread from the dead.

markseven 08-29-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anstead610 (Post 4474299)
holy anal batman thread from the dead.

Haha... I didn't see that :rofl:

downhiller 08-29-2009 04:24 PM

it took me a while to even remember that. but its nice seein people using the search