Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How many miles on AUTOMATIC transmission before failure? (or no problems at all?) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287616)

samplemaven 05-24-2008 09:28 PM

How many miles on AUTOMATIC transmission before failure? (or no problems at all?)

I'm just curious on how many miles your car has been driven with or without an automatic transmission failure. If your transimission failed, do you think you maintained it properly before failure?

The poll will give some interesting info, but your comments about your particular situation are welcome.

Thanks for looking. :)

Edit: KrisL: Also, please reply to this thread stating your model year: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=331801

airbornerunner1 05-24-2008 11:18 PM

i got 90,000 and it runs like its brand new

Synaps3 05-25-2008 12:44 AM

Ooops...didnt read before I voted. I have a manual, sorry.

100k and alls well though.

LKNGOOD 05-25-2008 03:55 AM

Well I'm at 96,000 and a CEL came on = P0741 Torque Converter Stuff Off.

They (Dealership) replaced the Torque Convertor and changes the transmission fluid and filter all under warranty. (3rd party Warranty with autobroker.com)

Interesting Note: They stated that the transmission fluid was deteriorating - so what does that say about their "Lifetime Transmission" Fluid theory.

This would be it's first transmission oil/filter change at 96K. Car has been maintain since day one because I have both the extended maintanence warranty and extended service warranty until 100,000 miles.

crowz 05-25-2008 05:40 AM

Almost 250,000 miles, original automatic trans. Works fine.

LKNGOOD 05-25-2008 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowz (Post 3277884)
Almost 250,000 miles, original automatic trans. Works fine.

Wow - 250K. That's awesome.

So how did you maintane the transmission?

Did you change the filter and fluid every 30K, or just every 100K, or is it still the original fluids and filter in there - Yikes

Latoilette 05-25-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKNGOOD (Post 3277836)
Well I'm at 96,000 and a CEL came on = P0741 Torque Converter Stuff Off.

They (Dealership) replaced the Torque Convertor and changes the transmission fluid and filter all under warranty. (3rd party Warranty with autobroker.com)

Interesting Note: They stated that the transmission fluid was deteriorating - so what does that say about their "Lifetime Transmission" Fluid theory.

This would be it's first transmission oil/filter change at 96K. Car has been maintain since day one because I have both the extended maintanence warranty and extended service warranty until 100,000 miles.

exact same issue. replaced torque converter, fluid, solenoid, filter at the price of 15xx at the aamco. 79xxx miles

DAI 05-25-2008 09:23 AM

150,000+ miles, no problems.

Original fluids (though, I would not recommend it; I went past the point of no return before I wised-up to the definition of "life-time").

crowz 05-25-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKNGOOD (Post 3277931)

Did you change the filter and fluid every 30K, or just every 100K, or is it still the original fluids and filter in there - Yikes

The previous owner never changed the fluid, ugly looking stuff when I changed it around 238k or something.

samplemaven 05-26-2008 09:05 AM

+1

mihink 05-26-2008 01:22 PM

71K as if this morning....no problems yet (2003 e46 325i steptronic):thumbup:

kaih23 05-27-2008 08:49 AM

Failed at 46,000 miles, so Can't even vote.

sdbrandon 05-27-2008 08:55 AM

Although the E46 trannys had issues. Failures are rare. Trannys are thoroughly tested before they go into production. What typically happens is one supplier mucks up assembly or a parts supplier is not fully in spec. By the time the car manufacturer find out it could be a few years waiting for miles to be put on the cars.

Acura, Toyota had much worse tranny issues and still do today. Toyota sells so many Lexotas that it is easy for them to have 1 million bad trannys before they realize it. The downside of becoming GM'ified.

AndrewZ 05-27-2008 09:46 AM

I picked the 125k one with transmission repair, but I meant to mark the one with no problems. My mistake.

Quote:

125,001 to 150,000...transmission repaired/replaced.

125,001 to 150,000...no problems!!!

SouthernHero 05-27-2008 08:26 PM

No problems and loving it.

nabhan007 05-28-2008 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdbrandon (Post 3281987)
Although the E46 trannys had issues. Failures are rare. Trannys are thoroughly tested before they go into production. What typically happens is one supplier mucks up assembly or a parts supplier is not fully in spec. By the time the car manufacturer find out it could be a few years waiting for miles to be put on the cars.

Acura, Toyota had much worse tranny issues and still do today. Toyota sells so many Lexotas that it is easy for them to have 1 million bad trannys before they realize it. The downside of becoming GM'ified.

I fail to see the distinction between "issues" and "failures". By your logic, even the no-reverse problem would not constitute a failure since the forward gears still work, but I think most people would regard not being able to reverse a serious failure. Either way, you've still got a bad transmission and are looking at some hefty repairs or replacement.

And what exactly is your basis for knocking Acura and Toyota? There's a reason Toyota and Honda have great resale values, and it isn't because buyers are expecting transmission issues. My sister's got a 2005 Corolla, but apart from oil changes, hasn't had it serviced for the last 3 years. All I had to do was replace the various filters, change the transmission fluid, and replace the brakes, and it's as good as new. Try neglecting your bimmer for three years like that! And FYI, GM doesn't own any part of Toyota or Honda. GM owns parts of Daewoo and Suzuki, Ford owns Volvo cars and part of Mazda, but Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura are 100% owned by their parent companies.

Vornado 05-28-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LKNGOOD (Post 3277931)

It's a well known fact that crowz' transmission was actually taken out of the millennium falcon and is routinely maintenanced by service droids.

crowz 05-28-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vornado (Post 3287041)
It's a well known fact that crowz' transmission was actually taken out of the millennium falcon and is routinely maintenanced by service droids.

If you think maintenance is expensive on a bmw, try getting a service droid serviced, yeooouch :)

iskoos 05-29-2008 08:06 AM

Just passed the 50k mark on my 02 325ci. Didn't have any tranny issues yet but have to tell you that it crosses my mind at least every 10 days or so that if the tranny would stop working all of a sudden or if it would go to reverse when I pull out of parking stall!..
Things like that take the pleasure of owning a BMW.
When I was driving my Honda, I wouldn't worry about for anything... Maybe I should still be driving a Honda instead of a bimmer...

crowz 05-29-2008 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iskoos (Post 3287954)
Just passed the 50k mark on my 02 325ci. Didn't have any tranny issues yet but have to tell you that it crosses my mind at least every 10 days or so that if the tranny would stop working all of a sudden or if it would go to reverse when I pull out of parking stall!..
Things like that take the pleasure of owning a BMW.
When I was driving my Honda, I wouldn't worry about for anything... Maybe I should still be driving a Honda instead of a bimmer...

Get the fluid changed, that may make you feel better. Plus if it really anoys you and your going to keep the car, buy a spare trans. Knowing you have one to drop in there if you have problems might help you feel better about it.

I would just say, get over it and drive it, but thats always easier said than done and not something you can just snap your fingers and make happen. Good luck with it and hopefully one of above sugestions will help some.

iskoos 05-29-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowz (Post 3288830)
Get the fluid changed, that may make you feel better. Plus if it really anoys you and your going to keep the car, buy a spare trans. Knowing you have one to drop in there if you have problems might help you feel better about it.

I would just say, get over it and drive it, but thats always easier said than done and not something you can just snap your fingers and make happen. Good luck with it and hopefully one of above sugestions will help some.

Would love to chance the fluid but I don't know if I already past the no return point(I guess I did). I also read stories on how the working tranny stops working after a fluid change.
I believe in preventative maintenance up to a point. Do you know how I would feel if something goes wrong on working tranny after a fluid change??? Ouch!... I can here people saying "Why did you touch it if it was working???"
I read many threads about it here and found out that the concensus is to change the fluid at every 30k miles or do not mess with it at all. But when is the no-return point for every 30k-miles change? I couldn't find that out...

crowz 05-29-2008 02:02 PM

50,000 miles is not anywhere near what people were talking about on the point of no return. Also I dont believe in that to start with, its never to late to change the fluid if its just a normal filter and fluid change and you use factory recommended fluid. Dont buy synthetic or some other stuff. Just put back in there what came in it. Also stay away from flush jobs. If a place will only "flush" it or you even think they might flush it, run dont walk from there.

Good luck.

iskoos 05-29-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowz (Post 3289017)
50,000 miles is not anywhere near what people were talking about on the point of no return. Also I dont believe in that to start with, its never to late to change the fluid if its just a normal filter and fluid change and you use factory recommended fluid. Dont buy synthetic or some other stuff. Just put back in there what came in it. Also stay away from flush jobs. If a place will only "flush" it or you even think they might flush it, run dont walk from there.

Good luck.

So you're saying have someone qualified drop the pan, drain the old fluid(completely), change the filter and fill back up with what BMW uses?

crowz 05-29-2008 08:19 PM

Yep :)

Dont let one of the shops use a flush machine on it.

Just like you mentioned, drop the pan and normal fluid change and fill up.

iskoos 05-30-2008 05:58 AM

How much should I expect to pay for fluid change service like that? (done by an indy shop)