Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   E90/E91/E92/E93 OEM Spare Tire source (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297373)

Orient330iNYC 07-10-2008 08:03 AM

E90/E91/E92/E93 OEM Spare Tire source
 
I know the leather-Z kit has been out for a while. it just never sat right with me that a) it was almost 400 for the kit that fit the 335i ( tire + tools + spacer & bolts)
b) you needed to use a 15mm spacer to get it to work.

digging through the ETK, it looks like the leather-z spare is the spare from the E46 cab.
3.50BX17 ET:30

a little more digging shows that the E60 550i uses front brake rotors the same size (348mm) and thickness as the 335i. brake calipers look to be of approximate same size.

the compact spare for the 550i is:
4BX17 ET:18

the offset is close to that of the E46 spare plus spacer-- ET 15 for the E46 spare wheel + spacer vs ET 18

now the fun part. BMW sells a retrofit spare kit for the E60. it includes:
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/6913/spareqk9.jpg

the wheel +tire diameter is within 2% of stock tires.

total price from tischer BMW, for the whole retrofit kit listed above, before shipping, is $239.

I've ordered up a set, will keep everyone posted as to if it works. if it doesnt, i have a new flower planter. if it does, a spare that works without having to deal with the spacer, and for a lower price.

BMWFM1 07-10-2008 08:32 AM

Very interesting finding. Please keep us posted. (Already bought the LeatherZ but it is good to have alternatives).

Some folks had mentioned at one point using an X3 spare. Have you looked into it?


FM

Orient330iNYC 07-10-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMWFM1 (Post 3387537)
Very interesting finding. Please keep us posted. (Already bought the LeatherZ but it is good to have alternatives).

Some folks had mentioned at one point using an X3 spare. Have you looked into it?


FM

yeah, the 550i and the X3 use the same spare rim. same P/N. i was drilling down using the brake size as a guide and the 550i was the best choice that had an optional spare.

i ran into a problem getting the tire-- when not bundled in the set i found, the tire has a lead time of 6-8 weeks from bmw and tire rack. alone its 120-150 bucks for the tire.

MrBones 07-10-2008 09:00 AM

Did you get a price for just the wheel/tire/valve? Or does it just come as a kit. Cuz I don't need a jack/chock/bracket... I already bought the BMW jack kit. I was planning on using a snow as a spare, but I'm sure your solution would be a thinner, lighter tire.

Orient330iNYC 07-10-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjmill (Post 3387607)
Did you get a price for just the wheel/tire/valve? Or does it just come as a kit. Cuz I don't need a jack/chock/bracket... I already bought the BMW jack kit. I was planning on using a snow as a spare, but I'm sure your solution would be a thinner, lighter tire.

rim is about 52, tire is 116 from the tire rack, valve, usually 2 bucks when you get the tire mounted. bmw doesnt sell the rim and tire premounted unless its in the kit.
i was actually going to get the rim and tire only, but i only have full sized jacks.

i'm actually hoping i can mount the tire, somehow, to the roof of the trunk.

anE934fun 07-10-2008 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC (Post 3387466)
the wheel +tire diameter is within 2% of stock tires.

Where did you get the data on wheel + tire diameter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC (Post 3387466)
total price from tischer BMW, for the whole retrofit kit listed above, before shipping, is $239.

I've ordered up a set, will keep everyone posted as to if it works. if it doesnt, i have a new flower planter. if it does, a spare that works without having to deal with the spacer, and for a lower price.

Add me to those who are interested in your testing results.

Orient330iNYC 07-10-2008 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anE934fun (Post 3387901)
Where did you get the data on wheel + tire diameter?


Add me to those who are interested in your testing results.

easy... tire size is: tirewidth/sidewall height (expressed as a % of tire width) / rim size.

stock tire size is 225/40/18

225*0.4=90/25.4=3.54"

3.54*2= 7.08" +18"= 25.08" diameter

spare tire size: 135/80/17

135*0.8=108/25.4=4.25"

4.25*2=8.5"+17"=25.5" diameter

25.4 is the mm -> inch conversion.

TireSmoke 07-10-2008 11:58 AM

$400 bucks for a spare is highway robbery... I am also interested of there are any alternatives. I have 2006 330xi and I just changed to non-RFT's. I was considering just using AAA, but the problem is if you get a flat and need a new tire it will take 3 days minimum to get one from Tirerack (if the shop doesn't stock those). That's where the spare comes in. It also helps you to get to your destination and not be forced to abandon your trip.

Please keep us informed if any other BMW or other brand spares would fit E90. I assume that '06 330xi and new 335i's would require the same spare, right?

Orient330iNYC 07-10-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TireSmoke (Post 3388137)
$400 bucks for a spare is highway robbery... I am also interested of there are any alternatives. I have 2006 330xi and I just changed to non-RFT's. I was considering just using AAA, but the problem is if you get a flat and need a new tire it will take 3 days minimum to get one from Tirerack (if the shop doesn't stock those). That's where the spare comes in. It also helps you to get to your destination and not be forced to abandon your trip.

Please keep us informed if any other BMW or other brand spares would fit E90. I assume that '06 330xi and new 335i's would require the same spare, right?

the 330i is a *little* easier, the front brakes are a little smaller than the ones on the 335i. but everything else would be the same

anE934fun 07-10-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC (Post 3388071)
easy... tire size is: tirewidth/sidewall height (expressed as a % of tire width) / rim size.

stock tire size is 225/40/18

225*0.4=90/25.4=3.54"

3.54*2= 7.08" +18"= 25.08" diameter

spare tire size: 135/80/17

135*0.8=108/25.4=4.25"

4.25*2=8.5"+17"=25.5" diameter

25.4 is the mm -> inch conversion.

Interesting calculated results. For comparison, I have included data for the published spec on the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFTs:

Published Spec for Bridgestone Potenza RE050A RFTs in 225/40-18:
Diameter.........25.2 inches
Revs/mile........827

Based on your calculated result of 25.08 inches, there is apparently some minor variance between expected (calculated) and actual (published specification) diameter. Which is why my interest in your actual results. If you have ordered the BMW spare, when it arrives, could you do the following:

1. Mount the spare on your car at specified inflation pressure (60 psi?).
2. Roll the car forward for 1 complete revolution of the tire.
3. Measure the distance covered by the 1 complete revolution of the tire as loaded by the weight of the car.

The distance in item 3. above would give us the loaded circumference of the spare tire. It is then a matter to divide that result into a mile to get the number of rotations value. I acknowledge that the value won't be at speed, but I am wondering how close the rotations result will be to published specifications. If we wanted to get more precise, we could repeat items 1. - 3. for the Bridgestones and make an adjustment based on circumference for the Bridgestones.

I am personally really curious about the result of the measurement for the BMW spare tire. If the measurement is in the ball park, you may have found a viable option.

Orient330iNYC 07-10-2008 12:22 PM

being completely honest, i'm not too worried-- its not exact on any of the other models. and of course its a temporary spare.


there's even a varience between the front and rear wheels with staggered tires... as well as tire wear varience. the rears will wear out faster than the fronts.

most modern traction control systems can handle 2-3% differences in diameters.

a 125/80/17 spare tire would be almost spot on, but i dont think a 4" rim will take a 125 tire ok.

also-- a runflat tire running on zero pressure has more a diameter difference than the temp spare (the FTM system doesnt trip until there's about a 10-15% diameter difference)

rallycobra 07-10-2008 01:07 PM

Very interesting. I was pricing a 550 spare on ebay, last week. Kudos to you on your initiative! I would expect it to work, and eagerly await your results!

TireSmoke 07-10-2008 01:28 PM

So, let me get this straight. If the total diameter is approximately equal to the regular tire, then any BMW spare will do? Is the bolt pattern the same? What about spares from older 5- and 3-series? Would they be okay?

Orient330iNYC 07-10-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TireSmoke (Post 3388340)
So, let me get this straight. If the total diameter is approximately equal to the regular tire, then any BMW spare will do? Is the bolt pattern the same? What about spares from older 5- and 3-series? Would they be okay?

E39 5 series wont fit-- the E39 for some reason had a centerbore that was different than any other bmw. the E39 had a 74.1mm centerbore. almost every other bmw has used 72.56.

E46 3 series will fit, but needs a spacer to clear the brakes.

the whole point of the E60 550i spare is to avoid the use of a spacer and the longer lugs needed.

Orient330iNYC 07-10-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallycobra (Post 3388289)
Very interesting. I was pricing a 550 spare on ebay, last week. Kudos to you on your initiative! I would expect it to work, and eagerly await your results!

yeah, i saw an E60 spare on ebay for 275 +50 S&H.
eesh

equ 07-13-2008 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC (Post 3388205)
being completely honest, i'm not too worried-- its not exact on any of the other models. and of course its a temporary spare.


there's even a varience between the front and rear wheels with staggered tires... as well as tire wear varience. the rears will wear out faster than the fronts.

most modern traction control systems can handle 2-3% differences in diameters.

a 125/80/17 spare tire would be almost spot on, but i dont think a 4" rim will take a 125 tire ok.

also-- a runflat tire running on zero pressure has more a diameter difference than the temp spare (the FTM system doesnt trip until there's about a 10-15% diameter difference)

Generally agreed, a few % off (ideally below 2-4) should be ok. 10-15% diameter difference is huge. I think you mean, 10-15% pressure/PSI difference.

Are you planning to mount/test?

Orient330iNYC 07-13-2008 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equ (Post 3393359)
Generally agreed, a few % off (ideally below 2-4) should be ok. 10-15% diameter difference is huge. I think you mean, 10-15% pressure/PSI difference.

Are you planning to mount/test?

yes, 10-15% psi...

kit is ordered, waiting for tischer to get it from national distribution...

in my case, the tire size difference is going to be under 1%--- i'm switching to 235/40/18 non runflat Goodyear F1 GS-D3s

TireSmoke 07-16-2008 07:59 AM

For how many miles is it safe to drive on a spare (if the spare is close in size to the original tire)? I know there are speed restrictions, but are there distance restrictions as well?

Orient330iNYC 07-16-2008 10:13 AM

it depends on the tire... but i believe its about 150km or ~93 miles.

Orient330iNYC 07-16-2008 12:06 PM

small update: kit shipped out. it came to 259 shipped from tischer bmw to my apt in manhattan.

i'll probably have time to test fit it this weekend.

TireSmoke 07-17-2008 12:45 PM

Please let us know or PM me. I am interested in knowing. Tischer lists the spare wheel at $60 or so. Why did it come out to $259? What else did you order?

Orient330iNYC 07-17-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TireSmoke (Post 3403655)
Please let us know or PM me. I am interested in knowing. Tischer lists the spare wheel at $60 or so. Why did it come out to $259? What else did you order?

i have the ETK listing of whats in the kit i got in my first post

its:
Spare rim
Spare tire
Jack
wrench
chock
in-tire tray to hold all

i got the whole set for two reasons
1) the tire itself is backordered nationally for 6-8 weeks from both bmw and tire rack
2) seperately, the tire costs 115-150 depending on source.

115+60 + 20S&H
$195
+15 mount and balance
210

then add in the cost of the tools....

the kit arrived today, so i should be able to test it soon.

I'll be disappointed if the tire comes unmounted.... with my luck it will be..

Orient330iNYC 07-17-2008 06:11 PM

and here's what the kit looks like, in box:
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/5854/img00100wh1.jpg

all the tools fit neatly into a foam tray that sits in the wheel hub.

alan93rsa 07-17-2008 06:22 PM

Looks like a winner

Orient330iNYC 07-17-2008 06:30 PM

well, need to test mount it this weekend. almost tempted to go to the garage now and try it


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms