Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E39 (1997 - 2003) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   P0442 code - some info (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299579)

badabingjr 07-21-2008 07:47 AM

P0442 code - some info

fellas,

got some info here if you have a CEL light thorwing this code and are having a problem. This is the code that is most commonly caused by a loose gas cap. I have been getting this code constantly for the last 6 months and 8,000 miles. I'd clear it, make sure the gas cap was tight and anywhere from a day to a month later, it would come back. i even bought a new gas cap from the dealer and still no luck.

anyway, i finally took the car to the dealer for some CPO warranty stuff, including the CL light as well as the fact that i was getting inconsistent readings on my fuel guage.

Below, i have retyped the exact comments made on my invoice by the tech who repaired the vehicle. the short version is basically the bad fuel guage sender was triggering the CEL according to the tech. i dont know if I buy it, but the light hasnt come back on in the lasst 200 miles so, we'll see. anyway, thought this might help out some peeps on here

"GAS TANK DOES NOT READ AT PROPER LEVEL. CHECKED FOR FAULTS. PERFORMED SHORT TEST. TESTED CLUSTER ALL OK. REMOVED GAS FROM TANK. REMOVED BOTH SENDING UNITS TESTED BOTH. LEFT SIDE NO GOOD. REPLACED LEFT SENDING UNIT ALL OK. FUELED CAR READING IS CORRECT"

"SES LIGHT COMING ON FOR A GAS CAP FAULT. TESTED VEHICLE FOR FAULTS. MULTIPLE FAULTS FOR ONE KNOCK SENSOR AND DMTL PUMP FAULT. FAULTS MAY BE RELATED TO LINE 1 BAD SENDING UNIT CAUSING BAD FAULTS"

hope this helps

badabingjr 10-29-2008 08:39 AM

update

for those of you who know me, you know I have been struggling with the SES light and code P0442 ever since i picked up my 03 BMW 540ia with 37K on it Feb of this year.

In the last 25,000 miles and 8 months, it must have come on 10 - 15 times.

I thought I had the problem solved per my previous post in this thread but it persists and with a vengeance.

I have had to the dealer 2 times under CPO on this and they still have not solved the problem. they keep trying to tell me its the gas cap. i pump my own gas and i just got a new gas cap from them i said. then they tried to give me some story about maybe air pockets trapped in the tank during fill up. what bullsh*t........ i feel bad for the people who dont know much about cars that believe this stuff.

anyway, i brought it back a 3rd time and made it the service manager's problem. the tech again reported finding no faults. they consulted BMW corporate who instructed them to change a fuel tank venting valve.

i will update on if the light stays off. just wanted to post the info in case anyone else has this recurring code.

chivas 02-06-2010 05:06 AM

any updates?

cujo844 10-12-2012 01:33 PM

Any updates on this I am having the same issue?