Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   2008 X5 3.0 Auto Tailgate Noise (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300911)

Berliner BMW 07-27-2008 03:04 PM

2008 X5 3.0 Auto Tailgate Noise

Purchased my 2008 X5 3.0 in NOV 2007 with the new automatic tailgate feature and have a perennial, completely annoying clunk/rattle every time I move the vehicle across an uneven surface coming from the tailgate. I've had the car in twice for service- first time they lubbed the latches. Second time, the service rep said BMW has a SIB for the problem and the technician installed a gasket and made adjustments - all to no avail.

BLUF - I believe the noise is a manufacturing defect but will need the help of others with the similar problem to build a strong enough case to compel BMW to take the proper corrective steps to stop the noise.

If you have or have had this problem, would you please post hear and describe what actions you've undertaken to correct the issue. Together we'll get BMW to do the right thing and fix the tailgate.

THANKS!

slojo 08-01-2008 10:07 AM

I've got the same noises from the back. It comes and goes. I haven't taken it in yet, because I am expected the usual run around abount not hearing it or it being something I have in the car (cargo mat or car seat). I'll have them look at it at the next service. Otherwise the automatic trunk is great.

Berliner BMW 08-03-2008 08:04 AM

Problem Continues

After several phone calls the local BMW dealer has agreed to take the car back into service to conntinue searching for the problem. The Service Manager said he contacted a BMW regional engineer for assistance so we'll see what happens - I'll keep you posted.

ledbettm 08-13-2008 06:32 AM

Rattle from the rear area

I am having the same issue. I have not taken it in yet. If you get some feedback I would really like to hear it. If they find the problem I will take mine in and have them check the same thing.
Thanks

R Vaske 07-15-2009 11:07 AM

My daughter in law has the same problem with her 2009 X5. I have not listened to it, but she describes it as a very annoying rattle coming from the tailgate area. She has had the vehicle to her dealer at least twice to identify the problem. A mechanic actually laid down in the cargo area as the vehicle was being driven to try to solve it. No positive results at this time. I visually inspected the vehicle and noticed an abundance of PLASTIC parts back there. I have owned my E39 for 9 years since new and have never experienced this kind of quality issues. My 2007 Toyota Camry on the other hand is just a bucket of rattles throughout the interior and due entirely I'm sure to the extensive use of plastic around the dash and doors.

ddsski 07-23-2009 09:59 AM

DIY solution. Have you applied some additional torque to all the bolts. Very easy to access lowe part of hatch hinges by simply lifting the plastic section that spans from the door to trunk area. Let alone just make sure there isn;t something loose back there. I heard about this before I bought my 2008 X5 and have had no issues thus far at 10K

07X3platinum 07-27-2009 07:10 AM

I read on another X5 forum that after several attempts with the dealership they finally figured out what was causing the rattle.....

it was a faulty rear hatch mechanism that needed to be adjusted.

Once that was adjusted the rattle went away.

MIX5 12-31-2012 06:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While this car seems to have many little squeaks and rattles, the rear hatch one stands out for me. I can imagine most come from just tight fitting plastics, in a very nice, but firm ride..it's to be expected, especially being a wagon. The rear hatch noise sounds exactly like the hatch isn't completely closed. I took a closer look, without taking the whole thing apart..yet, I found that the catch, that the latch clamps onto, is a bit loose. I haven't popped into the dealer yet to ask them, so thought I'd throw it up on the board to see if this is normal. My hatch is NOT power. It also seems to wiggle more front to back than side to side, like it's not fastened tightly at the back of the catch. I've attached a pic of what is loose. Thanks for your help!:)

mikymike 01-19-2013 09:26 AM

I have the same problem ....I bought a 2009 X5 and can't get rid of the noise in the cargo area. I took it to the dealer 3 times already, nothing the noise still there....... the latch on the lower tailgate it is lose it moves back and forth...the funny thing, I checked on other X5s, same ... looks 2 bolts are missing ....go figure? MIX5 ....why is that? what the hell?

MIX5 05-29-2013 05:55 AM

Ah...Electrical tape and latches. A marriage made in heaven. I don't know why I waited so long to do this. About 6 turns of the tape did it for me. Now I turn my ears to all the other noises it was drowning out. Hope this helps others as a temp fix.:)

MIX5 05-29-2013 05:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oops..forgot to attach a pic of my handy work:D