Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   I'm totaly indecisive on an M6 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302383)

Radiation Joe 08-03-2008 08:31 AM

I'm totaly indecisive on an M6

(repost of my post on roadfly e90 M3 forum)

I was offered a lease deal on an M6 that is almost the same as for the M3. Maybe $100 more per month. White with Sepang, SMG, all options, list of $111k. $10k off sticker and a very generous trade in allowance bring the lease payment close to what I'll expect for the 2009 M3 sedan I have on order.

This is not as easy a decision as you might think. I don't like the idea of being seen in an M6. It's not really my style. The car is configured just as I would configure it (except for CF trim), however, and it's here now instead of late October. It's going to be a daily driver, in one of the heaviest snow (and salt) areas in the country. But since it's a lease, I don't mind as much. Also, the M6 up front mileage costs are the same as the M3 (15 cents/mile) so my high mileage (~24k/yr) is partially subsidized.

I hate it when other people ask on these boards if they should buy a particular car, because everyones opinion/tastes are different, but I'm truly torn on this one.

TLudwig 08-03-2008 09:46 AM

I briefly thought about a 1-2 year old M6 instead of an '09 M3. It's a little bigger and heavier than the M3, so IMO it doesn't handle quite as nimbly, but it's still more than capable and it also has more power and straightline speed. It was very comfortable, and I liked the interior a lot.

For me, it came down to two things. Subjectively, the exterior appearance of the car just hasn't grown on me - I like the looks of the M3 coupe much better. Also, as a mid-level associate in a law firm, it says the wrong thing to be driving a nicer car than those of most of the partners. I just don't want to attract that kind of attention. Both of these are strictly personal factors, but I thought I'd share.

Radiation Joe 08-03-2008 10:03 AM

TLudwig,
Thanks, I appreciate your opinion. The dealer has made this offer so appealing that I'm having a really tough time walking away. I told them I'd decide by Wednesday, hense my post on this and other boards.
Joe

TLudwig 08-03-2008 09:33 PM

This may or may not be significant to you, but as I'm sure you know, the '09 M3 will come with the new iDrive. IMO, the iDrive is the weakest link on any BMW. The update should make it much easier to use, more useful, and provide additional features. The '08 M6 will have the old iDrive. No one buys BMW for the iDrive, but it's amazing how much a little every day useability plays into your enjoyment of the car.

Radiation Joe 08-04-2008 05:26 AM

I thought that the updated i-Drive would be important, but after using the older version in the M6, I believe the new buttons only save one or two movements of the controller. If the menus within the new i-Drive are different, then that would be a positive. I really think once I'm familiar with either system, I'll be happy.

bdardashti 08-05-2008 03:32 PM

The menu interface of the new iDrive will be different, and will feature many more features for navigation and multimedia. The system is getting a user-accessible hard dirve for music storage, and much more map views, including a 3D view, and crisper text/map renderings. For a tech-lover, it might make a big difference in the overall satisfaction of the car, but of course, you're not buying a M-car for its iDrive ;)

Kayani_1 08-08-2008 05:46 PM

I think if you can get a new M6 for the lease of a new M3 then go for the M6. I think the 507hp vs 420hp......I would take 507hp.:thumbup:

gmlav8r 08-08-2008 07:35 PM

M3.

Driven them both at VIR (track) for 2 days. The M3 hands down more fun.

Leslierc 09-04-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLudwig (Post 3442950)
Also, as a mid-level associate in a law firm, it says the wrong thing to be driving a nicer car than those of most of the partners. I just don't want to attract that kind of attention. Both of these are strictly personal factors, but I thought I'd share.

That says it all, and I've been there and hope to never work at a law firm again. For those of you who don't know, the "politics" can extend to such things as cars, dress, hairstyle, and personal relationships in terms of appropriateness.

By the way, I purchased my M6 a week ago, after previously owning 2 6 Series convertibles, and cannot imagine driving any other type of car. [But if I still worked at a law firm, I would never drive it to work.]