Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Motorsports, Racing & Track (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   No spoilers in Subject: please. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30755)

Kaz 06-01-2003 10:05 PM

No spoilers in Subject: please.
 
Since not everybody gets to watch various races live (like F1 at 5AM), can everyone refrain from posting clues about race results in the subjectline of posts, at elast for a day or so after the event?

Today's F1 race was reasonably good but it would have been more fun if I didn't know going in that JPM had won.

TGray5 06-01-2003 10:17 PM

Amen to this! Post all you want about races whenever you want, just use a subject such as 'Monaco F1 Qualifying discussion'.

This should apply to all types of racing, although I don't think I've ever seen a NASCAR post in here. ;-)

BTW, for those that don't have TIVO...it's the only way to watch racing...automatically records all F1, CART and World Challenge races and I watch them on my schedule and FF through the commercials!!! Its the best.

I'm going to make this post sticky for a few days so everyone gets a chance to see it.:)

OBS3SSION 06-02-2003 05:24 AM

Agree! 99.9% of what I watch, I record on the TiVo and watch at a later time. Knowing the winner of a race before watching it sucks just about as bad as knowing the outcome of a Wold Cup game beforehand. :mad: Just mark any threads with "Spoiler" and we'll all be happy.

Stahl, what method do you use to automatically record the various races? I have keywords set, and every week or so I just look at upcoming programs with my keywords and pick out the ones I want to record. Speed doesn't make it easy calling every kind of race "Auto Racing" as a program title...

Mr Paddle.Shift 06-02-2003 08:10 AM

Re: Sorry guys
 
Hrm...Kaz is making a simple request not to reveal anything on the subject line. That's all. How difficult is that really?

You apologized first then turned around and threw a chunk of sarcasm around. Somehow I find this very inappropriate.


Quote:

Originally posted by KU Ned
I was excited that BMW-Williams finally got a win.

Just for reference, should we not talk about new BMW's when they come out until you have had a chance to see one for your self at your convenience? :stickpoke

The internet is referred to as the information superhighway. It s a means of communicating information quickly. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE RESULTS OF A RACE, DON'T GET ON THE INTERNET!!! Why should those of us that watch something live have to wait to discuss until you decide you want to watch it.


Mr. The Edge 06-02-2003 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KU Ned
I guess I don't understand why someone log onto a site entitled "Motorsport, Racing & Track" if he doesn't want to know the result of a race.
when you surf by "view new posts" you see all the subject lines

OBS3SSION 06-02-2003 09:21 AM

The easiest way to make everyone happy is to "mark" the thread title with the fact that it contains information about the race. This way people who have seen it can read the thread and discuss, and those who have not can avoid the thread.

A good example of a thread title could be:

"SPOILER: F1 Monaco Results! Discuss."

Then, everyone is :thumbup:

Jayhox 06-02-2003 10:45 AM

Hey, I love these boards as much as anyone. But to even think for a second that I would jump on here before watching the tape of the race is beyond my comprehension.

FORMULA 1 VIEWING BEFORE ALL ELSE ON SUNDAY MORNING!!!!!!

Where are your priorities?!?!?!?!? :p :slap:

Mr. The Edge 06-02-2003 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jayhox
Hey, I love these boards as much as anyone. But to even think for a second that I would jump on here before watching the tape of the race is beyond my comprehension.

FORMULA 1 VIEWING BEFORE ALL ELSE ON SUNDAY MORNING!!!!!!

Where are your priorities?!?!?!?!? :p :slap:

http://www.rec.org.uk/holytrin.gif

The Roadstergal 06-02-2003 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jayhox
Hey, I love these boards as much as anyone. But to even think for a second that I would jump on here before watching the tape of the race is beyond my comprehension.

FORMULA 1 VIEWING BEFORE ALL ELSE ON SUNDAY MORNING!!!!!!

Where are your priorities?!?!?!?!? :p :slap:

I don't have Speed. I was going to a club event at 10 that morning to see the taped race; I know some were watching a rebroadcast at 8pm.

But really - does it detract from your enjoymet of discussing the race to just put a "F1 discussion *spoilers*" subject line? We're not asking you to NOT TALK about the race, or in any other way change your post. Just to do that one polite thing.

The rule on Roadfly, as it has shaken out from a discussion over the weekend, is f*** politeness, we'll post what we want and if you don't like it, don't come to the board. Is that the attitude you want to dominate here?

FSelekler 06-02-2003 12:26 PM

Amazing, ONCE in my Bimmerfest life, I am not alone :D

And, thanks Kaz for making the point :thumbup:

Jayhox 06-02-2003 12:34 PM

Quote:

The rule on Roadfly, as it has shaken out from a discussion over the weekend, is f*** politeness, we'll post what we want and if you don't like it, don't come to the board. Is that the attitude you want to dominate here?
No. That is why I was just kidding. I agree that the header should not give anything away.

ATYCLB -- You can watch the tape of the race and still make the 11:00 or noon service!!! :thumbup:

elbert 06-02-2003 03:29 PM

Re: Sorry guys
 
Quote:

Originally posted by KU Ned
Why should those of us that watch something live have to wait to discuss until you decide you want to watch it.
You are oblivious to the point Kaz was making. You are more than welcome to discuss it as soon as you want. All he (as most people from what I've read so far) is asking for is that the results aren't given away in the subject header (or headers, in your case).

TGray5 06-02-2003 04:31 PM

Re: Sorry guys
 
Quote:

Originally posted by KU Ned
I was excited that BMW-Williams finally got a win.

Just for reference, should we not talk about new BMW's when they come out until you have had a chance to see one for your self at your convenience? :stickpoke

The internet is referred to as the information superhighway. It s a means of communicating information quickly. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE RESULTS OF A RACE, DON'T GET ON THE INTERNET!!! Why should those of us that watch something live have to wait to discuss until you decide you want to watch it.

Wow, never expected that kind of a reaction. No one is saying you can't post and discuss the race, in fact if you read my post, I said just the opposite, just don't post results in the subject line...pretty simple. This isn't just about F1, but about all types of racing and on my TIVO, I always have some race waiting for me to watch, whether it be CART, F1, World Challenge, Grand AM, ALMS.

It seems that you are in the minority on this simple request, so can we please have your cooperation?

TGray5 06-02-2003 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by OBS3SSION
Agree! 99.9% of what I watch, I record on the TiVo and watch at a later time. Knowing the winner of a race before watching it sucks just about as bad as knowing the outcome of a Wold Cup game beforehand. :mad: Just mark any threads with "Spoiler" and we'll all be happy.

Stahl, what method do you use to automatically record the various races? I have keywords set, and every week or so I just look at upcoming programs with my keywords and pick out the ones I want to record. Speed doesn't make it easy calling every kind of race "Auto Racing" as a program title...

I use the following keywords and have them set to auto record...it seems to pick up all the qualifying, practice, and races.

Formula One
Speed Championship (this took me awhile to get right, but it tapes both touring car and GT)
CART

on all of the above, I set them to Sports/Auto Racing category. I still need to set up ones for Grand AM and ALMS which I record manually now. Now if we can just get board members to cooperate on not spoiling....:mad:

The HACK 06-02-2003 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by StahlGrauM3
I use the following keywords and have them set to auto record...it seems to pick up all the qualifying, practice, and races.

Formula One
Speed Championship (this took me awhile to get right, but it tapes both touring car and GT)
CART

on all of the above, I set them to Sports/Auto Racing category. I still need to set up ones for Grand AM and ALMS which I record manually now. Now if we can just get board members to cooperate on not spoiling....:mad:

Get a SEASON PASS. It will record all the first time showing (or even the repeats if you want) of each show you wish to record.

And it's free.

jaramill 06-02-2003 05:04 PM

God bless TiVO! I manually record all the pre-qualifying, qualifying, and pre-race and race shows every two weeks. But I'll try to get the Season Pass for Formula One.

Gio

TGray5 06-02-2003 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The HACK
Get a SEASON PASS. It will record all the first time showing (or even the repeats if you want) of each show you wish to record.

And it's free.

I do use the Season Pass feature, however, since most of the shows are titled, 'Auto Racing' along with NASCAR and everything else, I need to use the keyword feature to pick out just the types of racing that I'm interested in.

Is there an easier way that you've found to do it?

The HACK 06-02-2003 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by StahlGrauM3
I do use the Season Pass feature, however, since most of the shows are titled, 'Auto Racing' along with NASCAR and everything else, I need to use the keyword feature to pick out just the types of racing that I'm interested in.

Is there an easier way that you've found to do it?

Hm...I had no problem finding F1 under "sports" category. Key'ed in Formula and F1 is the first one to pop up. :dunno:

Once it finds the F1 on Speed's schedules I make a season pass with first run shows...Catches all the qualifying too.:D :thumbup:

TGray5 06-02-2003 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by StahlGrauM3
I use the following keywords and have them set to auto record...it seems to pick up all the qualifying, practice, and races.

Formula One
"Speed" Championship (this took me awhile to get right, but it tapes both touring car and GT)
CART

on all of the above, I set them to Sports/Auto Racing category. I still need to set up ones for Grand AM and ALMS which I record manually now. Now if we can just get board members to cooperate on not spoiling....:mad:

edit: I forgot to add quotes around the word "speed" in the keyword...that way it picks up GT or Touring car.

TGray5 06-02-2003 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by The HACK
Hm...I had no problem finding F1 under "sports" category. Key'ed in Formula and F1 is the first one to pop up. :dunno:

Once it finds the F1 on Speed's schedules I make a season pass with first run shows...Catches all the qualifying too.:D :thumbup:

Yes, you're right...I think I first looked for World Challenge and couldn't find it and did the keyword thing for it and then assumed F1 and CART would be the same, but I just checked and F1 and CART are listed under search by title.:)

SergioK 06-02-2003 08:58 PM

Re: No spoilers in Subject: please.
 
Quote:

Originally posted by Kaz
Since not everybody gets to watch various races live (like F1 at 5AM), can everyone refrain from posting clues about race results in the subjectline of posts, at elast for a day or so after the event?

Today's F1 race was reasonably good but it would have been more fun if I didn't know going in that JPM had won.

True, I inadvertantly told a friend living in South America about the outcome of the 1st race of this season (Australia) and he wanted to kill me because he was just on his way out to go see the race at a friend's house! Oops.

KU Ned 06-03-2003 06:53 AM

I will not post spoilers in any of my headers in the future. Unfortunately there are new Bimmerfest members everyday that may not read this post.

Again I will cooperate but this is the information age and you could save yourself some aggravation by not logging on to race related (or general) web-sites before you watch a taped race. To my surprise, when I logged on to my local Road Runner site Sunday morning immediately after the race there was a headline and picture of Montoya winning. Even if I hadn,t logged on to a site dedicated to racing it would have been spoiled for me. So I will cooperate but it is unrealistic to think that with all the information available on the internet that you will not find out results before you watch at your convenience.

Kaz 06-03-2003 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by KU Ned
I will not post spoilers in any of my headers in the future. Unfortunately there are new Bimmerfest members everyday that may not read this post.

Again I will cooperate but this is the information age and you could save yourself some aggravation by not logging on to race related (or general) web-sites before you watch a taped race. To my surprise, when I logged on to my local Road Runner site Sunday morning immediately after the race there was a headline and picture of Montoya winning. Even if I hadn,t logged on to a site dedicated to racing it would have been spoiled for me. So I will cooperate but it is unrealistic to think that with all the information available on the internet that you will not find out results before you watch at your convenience.

I guess you're still failing to see the point of my original post despite everyone else re-explaining it. I can't speak for everybody but I do NOT go around on websites looking to spoil race results for myself before I watch a race. But the nature of how many people read Bimmerfest is such that ALL recent threads show in one long list, and that includes threads one doesn't even necessarily WANT to look at (OT junk, race results, etc.). I think this request is a little easier to understand once you understand the mechanics behind why this has been requested.

berford 06-03-2003 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by The Roadstergal
I don't have Speed. I was going to a club event at 10 that morning to see the taped race; I know some were watching a rebroadcast at 8pm.

But really - does it detract from your enjoymet of discussing the race to just put a "F1 discussion *spoilers*" subject line? We're not asking you to NOT TALK about the race, or in any other way change your post. Just to do that one polite thing.

The rule on Roadfly, as it has shaken out from a discussion over the weekend, is f*** politeness, we'll post what we want and if you don't like it, don't come to the board. Is that the attitude you want to dominate here?

All good points, R-gal. My condolences re. not having Speed. It's such fun.

KU Ned 06-03-2003 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Kaz
I guess you're still failing to see the point of my original post despite everyone else re-explaining it. I can't speak for everybody but I do NOT go around on websites looking to spoil race results for myself before I watch a race. But the nature of how many people read Bimmerfest is such that ALL recent threads show in one long list, and that includes threads one doesn't even necessarily WANT to look at (OT junk, race results, etc.). I think this request is a little easier to understand once you understand the mechanics behind why this has been requested.
Yea it is pretty hard to figure out how to look at all new threads.
:dunno:

My point is that if you don't want certain information why would you view the site in that manner. Once something happens it is history and anyone should be able to talk about it in any manner they choose. Why should your schedule dictate how others post? If you don't want the information don't set yourself up to see it. This discussion is what gives many BMW owners the reputation of arrogance. You want to watch a program when you choose instead of live, you want to view Bimmerfest and other sites in a manner other than the default setting and expect others to do as you do, you want discuss the race at your convenience, you want to tell others when and how to discuss it. Why are you and your Tivo so important that you can dictate how those of us interested enough to watch live should discuss the race?

Believe me I understand how a computer and this site work. I guess because Road Runner had a headline and picture I should contact Time Warner and tell them not to post any headlines or news until they are sure everyone has watched the event on Tivo or VHS.

I often times miss a race or game and tape it. I hope to not hear the results until I get a chance to watch it but I definately do not get on the internet and expect to not find out.

I understand your point of view and stated that I would not post headers with spoilers. Unfortunately you are too wrapped up in your schedule to try to understand my point of view. I guess we have to agree to disagree.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms