Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   cross-drilled or slotted Brembos? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317847)

Techniek 10-10-2008 09:18 AM

cross-drilled or slotted Brembos?

Need to change front rotors on my 03 330i. Does anyone know which are the best value and quality? Also, I'm unsure about the difference between cross-drilled and slotted types. Will consider all the advice on brakes. Thanx

desertrat 10-10-2008 09:23 AM

Depends on what you plan on using your car for. For normal street use I would say neither, just use the stock Brembo replacement rotors. I assume you are using stock rotors now, if so are you experiencing any brake fade or other problems you think might be solved by drilled or slotted rotors?

Techniek 10-10-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertrat (Post 3614201)
Depends on what you plan on using your car for. For normal street use I would say neither, just use the stock Brembo replacement rotors. I assume you are using stock rotors now, if so are you experiencing any brake fade or other problems you think might be solved by drilled or slotted rotors?

mostly highway. no other problems except the usual symptoms--slight vibration felt on the steering wheel when brakes applied, as well as uneven surface and rust on the rotors.

Fast Bob 10-10-2008 09:32 AM

Drilled & slotted look cool, but are totally unnecessary for street driving....

KrisL 10-10-2008 09:33 AM

I recommend Brembo or Zimmerman "blanks". Bang for the buck, they are at least twice as good as slotted or cross-drilled.

smolck 10-10-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisL (Post 3614230)
Bang for the buck, they are at least twice as good as slotted or cross-drilled.

Obviously we have talked this topic to death, but I am wondering why you say stock blanks they are twice as good. I know drilled aren't "better", but I figured them to be as good as non-drilled/slotted. I want some on my next set for eye candy.....now I am re-thinking. Please give me some more feedback....

KrisL 10-10-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smolck (Post 3614278)
Obviously we have talked this topic to death, but I am wondering why you say stock blanks they are twice as good. I know drilled aren't "better", but I figured them to be as good as non-drilled/slotted. I want some on my next set for eye candy.....now I am re-thinking. Please give me some more feedback....

I didn't say they were twice as good.

I said they were twice as good bang for the buck. If slotted/drilled are only just as good performance wise but cost twice as much... then the blanks are therefore twice as good, bang for the buck.

smolck 10-10-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisL (Post 3614311)
I didn't say they were twice as good.

I said they were twice as good bang for the buck. If slotted/drilled are only just as good performance wise but cost twice as much... then the blanks are therefore twice as good, bang for the buck.

So it was a trick question....the cheap ebay one's aren't twice as expensive, even if they blow up a little....:yikes:

I get your logic now, thanks!