Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Wax for my 745li (I live in Seattle) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331763)

745baby 12-11-2008 06:26 PM

Wax for my 745li (I live in Seattle)
 
I'm about to move to Seattle next month. As we all know it rains a lot there.
Looking for a good top quality wax for my car that will stand up to constant rain.


Any suggestions?:roundel::roundel:

occory 12-11-2008 09:51 PM

Zymol is tops imo, but nothing holds up for ever. apply at least 2 times a year

diznik007 12-11-2008 10:02 PM

a sealant will protect your paint better/longer than any wax. throw on llasse AIO polish and top off with the klasse sealant glaze.

occory 12-11-2008 10:16 PM

Diz, I have head great things about the "Klasse" line but the polish / glaze process seems like alot of work for a layman. Do you do it your self, how does it compare to a quality carnuba?

M.Wong 12-11-2008 10:20 PM

I'm in Seattle and I like Meguiars over the counter stuff for that DIY "plastic shell" feel on the E39 and my dog truck. I treat the whole vehicle 2x per year and do the top/hood/trunk 1x or 2x more per year.

For my E38, I like Zaino products for easy application and a deeper shine. I do this daily driver at least 4x per year. You don't get as "thick" of a "plastic shell" feel, but the shine is great!

Be ready for plenty of rain. :D


Zaino:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/m...e%20Needle.JPG

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/m...Reflection.JPG

barryb97 12-11-2008 10:21 PM

Wax for Seattle
 
I love Zaino.

http://www.zainostore.com/

ImolaMMM 12-11-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M.Wong (Post 3761897)
I'm in Seattle and I like Meguiars over the counter stuff for that DIY "plastic shell" feel on the E39 and my dog truck. I treat the whole vehicle 2x per year and do the top/hood/trunk 1x or 2x more per year.

For my E38, I like Zaino products for easy application and a deeper shine. I do this daily driver at least 4x per year. You don't get as "thick" of a "plastic shell" feel, but the shine is great!

Be ready for plenty of rain. :D

+1:thumbup:
Zaino:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/m...e%20Needle.JPG

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/m...Reflection.JPG

Quote:

Originally Posted by occory;3761828[B
]Zymol i[/B]s tops imo, but nothing holds up for ever. apply at least 2 times a year

Great wax but doesn't hold up very long, especially in the rain!:thumbdwn:

Quote:

Originally Posted by barryb97 (Post 3761899)
I love Zaino.

+1:thumbup:

dfauerbach 12-12-2008 08:52 AM

Rejex anyone? I use it on my wheels can you use it on the whole car?

Driver8 12-12-2008 12:32 PM

There are a lot of good products out there. I like and use (and recommend): Klasse AIO, P21S, Collinite Insulator Wax

I've used Zaino products, but I haven't gotten the same "out-of-this-world" effect that others have gotten. I will say this: when Zaino first came out, there was a very regimented, very specific procedure that car wax gurus recommended when using Zaino, i.e. the Dawn-and-hot-water wash, then clay bar, then another Dawn wash, then Z7, then Z1 followed by Z7, then Z5 and more Z7 (IIRC).

Well, I finally figured out that wasn't so much the Zaino that made the car look so friggin' fantastic, it was all the prep work! For a while I would do the Zaino thing and then top it off with the Collinite Insulator Wax to get the lovely slick finish. The next time I detailed the car, I did all the steps but used only the Collinite Insulator Wax, which leaves a buttery smooth slick finish that also provides a nice warm glow. IMO it doesn't last as long, but I prefer the finished product much more. I guess my biggest gripe about the Zaino products isn't the fact that they last a long time, it was the fact that, 100% subjectively speaking, the synthetic base materials didn't provide the nice slick carnuaba finish I prefer.

You'll get a lot of opinions. I would tell you that the best thing you can do is research it and try out a few to see what you prefer. Good luck!

csmeance 12-12-2008 05:41 PM

Cheap and good - Duragloss
A bit more and lasts a long time - Zaino
A bit more expensive - Zymol waxes

Duragloss makes excellent products that lasts a bit of time. I have used it before and I like it for economical jobs.

Zaino is more for the person who wants to do all the work now and play later. With Zaino, prepping is everything. Applying the wax is fairly simple and the steps are simple, it just is time consuming. Once on, wash once a month with the z-7 shampoo provided and then apply a light coat of z-6 insta detailer. People say that zaino isn't good for looks, I think it is excellent for darker cars. If you car is lighter, than use zaino and top with some carnuba like natty's paste wax.

hotrod2448 12-12-2008 05:58 PM

Zaino is about the only thing I can get to hold up around here. Carnauba's seem to melt in the heat down here. You obviously won't have that problem in Seattle. I like the polymer "waxes" for their easier application over carnauba.

Expo BMW 12-13-2008 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 745baby (Post 3761390)
I'm about to move to Seattle next month. As we all know it rains a lot there.
Looking for a good top quality wax for my car that will stand up to constant rain.


Any suggestions?:roundel::roundel:


Try Meguiar's quick wax every 2-3 weeks. 10-15 minutes to apply but you can't do it in the rain.

TerryY 12-13-2008 11:45 AM

Griots is in Tacoma if you need them. http://www.griotsgarage.com/

Pretty sure they understand the local rain.

KevinGoFast 12-13-2008 10:30 PM

One word: turtle wax.

I live in Florida, believe me I know rain

diznik007 12-13-2008 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by occory (Post 3761887)
Diz, I have head great things about the "Klasse" line but the polish / glaze process seems like alot of work for a layman. Do you do it your self, how does it compare to a quality carnuba?

yes, it is time consuming. it used to be fun spending hours on the car with my porter dual action polisher. now, i just buy the klasse products and bring them to my detailer. i acyually love carnauba wax and will on occasion slap a coat of p21s on top of the klasse sealant glaze. :thumbup:

Driver8 12-15-2008 09:38 AM

That's what I've ended up doing too, sealing the Klasse sealant with Collinite Insulator Wax. It may be overkill, but it (1) lasts and (2) looks three feet deep (or at least as deep at Ti Silver can look).

Quote:

Originally Posted by diznik007 (Post 3765830)
yes, it is time consuming. it used to be fun spending hours on the car with my porter dual action polisher. now, i just buy the klasse products and bring them to my detailer. i acyually love carnauba wax and will on occasion slap a coat of p21s on top of the klasse sealant glaze. :thumbup:


ImolaMMM 12-15-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driver8 (Post 3768047)
That's what I've ended up doing too, sealing the Klasse sealant with Collinite Insulator Wax. It may be overkill, but it (1) lasts and (2) looks three feet deep (or at least as deep at Ti Silver can look).

post some pics.:thumbup:

Driver8 12-15-2008 03:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Let's see if this will work...

I cut out a section of a picture of my 750i that seems to capture some of the surface glow that I was referencing earlier from using Collinite Insulator Wax (CIW). This picture was taken after a light detail (Dawn wash, Klasse All-in-One [AIO] followed by a topcoat of CIW). Please note that the AIO could be replaced with any high-quality sealant and the CIW could be any good carnuaba or polish.

Ti Silver by its very nature is reflective, not deep, so it's never going to be one of those colors that make people Ohhh and Ahhh at the depth of the paint like Monaco Blue, Black Sapphire or one of the other darker metallics or monochromatics. (For darker cars, I have done the same thing, except using One Grand Blitz Wax as the topcoat. It deepened the paint to the point that it made my Audi A6's Ming Blue - Monaco Blue would be a good comparison - look almost black.) Ti Silver is going to be a little more like Polar White or maybe even Sterling Grey, in that your best bet is to target surface reflectivity and capture the "glow" of the light dancing on the surface of the paint.

I think the picture captures what I'm talking about (or I hope it does, I should say). Look around the edges of the painted surfaces, for example, where the fender curves roll up to the fender edge or where the the hood crease runs from the base of the windshield to the area between the grille and the headlight. The light reflection is soft and the surface appears to glow on the planar surfaces, while the edges and creases are crisp and highly reflective.

For comparison purposes, I did the same thing to my Sterling Grey 530i, except this one had been clay-barred and then hit with Zaino Z-something or other, 3? 5? I can never remember which one is which. Anyway, you can see it has the same warm, soft radiance that the Ti Silver 750i has.

Or at least that is how it looks to me :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImolaMMM (Post 3768326)
post some pics.:thumbup:


Chitown-Irish 12-16-2008 04:46 AM

Klasse or Zymol, you can't go wrong. I used Zymol for ages and love the results. The last time I waxed my car I tried Klasse and it seems a little easier to use with similar results.

1bad540 12-16-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driver8 (Post 3768847)
Let's see if this will work...

I cut out a section of a picture of my 750i that seems to capture some of the surface glow that I was referencing earlier from using Collinite Insulator Wax (CIW). This picture was taken after a light detail (Dawn wash, Klasse All-in-One [AIO] followed by a topcoat of CIW). Please note that the AIO could be replaced with any high-quality sealant and the CIW could be any good carnuaba or polish.

Ti Silver by its very nature is reflective, not deep, so it's never going to be one of those colors that make people Ohhh and Ahhh at the depth of the paint like Monaco Blue, Black Sapphire or one of the other darker metallics or monochromatics. (For darker cars, I have done the same thing, except using One Grand Blitz Wax as the topcoat. It deepened the paint to the point that it made my Audi A6's Ming Blue - Monaco Blue would be a good comparison - look almost black.) Ti Silver is going to be a little more like Polar White or maybe even Sterling Grey, in that your best bet is to target surface reflectivity and capture the "glow" of the light dancing on the surface of the paint.

I think the picture captures what I'm talking about (or I hope it does, I should say). Look around the edges of the painted surfaces, for example, where the fender curves roll up to the fender edge or where the the hood crease runs from the base of the windshield to the area between the grille and the headlight. The light reflection is soft and the surface appears to glow on the planar surfaces, while the edges and creases are crisp and highly reflective.

For comparison purposes, I did the same thing to my Sterling Grey 530i, except this one had been clay-barred and then hit with Zaino Z-something or other, 3? 5? I can never remember which one is which. Anyway, you can see it has the same warm, soft radiance that the Ti Silver 750i has.

Or at least that is how it looks to me :)

Nice 530 sport with m pars.....:thumbup:

1bad540 12-16-2008 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I use megs gold class and I ve never had a problem

1bad540 12-16-2008 09:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres another, I was anal and this car was my daily driver and sat outside for 4 yrs..It also had 107k miles in that pic..orig paint

Driver8 12-16-2008 12:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice! Oxford Green? My 528i was Oxford and it was a beautiful color. It always looked sharp with a coat of One Grand Blitz Wax on it :)

1bad540 12-16-2008 03:28 PM

wasnt green, It was orient Blue great color in the sun, I like the green as well.

jvr826 12-16-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfauerbach (Post 3762394)
Rejex anyone? I use it on my wheels can you use it on the whole car?

I do... :thumbup::thumbup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms