Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E89 Z4 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Trunk Space (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336879)

MrZip 01-06-2009 01:08 AM

Trunk Space

Has anyone seen a good pic of the trunk? From what I can see from the promo pics the new trunk will not hold two golf bags with the top down which was the requirement for the E85 Z4. A Z4 with no luggage capability is a non starter for me! A top down road trip is one of the great joys of Z4 ownership. The retractable hardtop is an expensive novelity - The current 3 series convertible has the same problem with the trunk space (but it at least has a back seat to use for luggage) If I wanted a hard top I'd just get a 3 series 335i. I think I'll be keeping my current E85 Z4!!

Stoky 01-06-2009 08:34 AM

Acording to reports, if you have the top down and the pass through option you can fit 2 golf bags; top up 1 bag.

EDIT: Top up meaning open roof; top down meaning roof closed over passenger compartment.

kevalent 01-06-2009 10:14 AM

From the pics Ive seen it looks like you'll be lucky to fit a bagged lunch in the back with the top down. Tiny!

iwanna330cic 01-06-2009 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
perhaps this helps?

Doug

kevalent 01-07-2009 07:08 AM

Here's one with the top placeholder in the down position (top still up though). Looks like you'll lose over half of the usable space compared to maybe 20% in the current model. Although it's still probably more room than most small verts.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/au...mwz404.img.jpg

gilpinshay 01-07-2009 08:36 AM

I'd say 20% lost in the current z4 is high. The convertible top compartment panel only moves a couple of inches and if you never move it so that you can raise and lower the top whenever you want then you lose no trunk space.

Z4Dennis 01-07-2009 12:26 PM

I believe that the Z4 trunk is about 8.5 cu ft with the top down, and 9.5 cu ft with the top up, and the thingy raised up. So the loss in trunk space with the top down is only about 10%. Hardtop verts really do suck up the trunk space, which is why I would never get one. The 3 series really losses trunk space too. So it looks like the only option if I want a new bimmer, and decent trunk space, is the 1 series. Or I guess I will just keep my Z4, since I really like it anyway.

tturedraider 01-07-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoky (Post 3815120)
Acording to reports, if you have the top down and the pass through option you can fit 2 golf bags; top up 1 bag.

Uh, that's not correct. BMW says one bag in the trunk and one through the pass-through with the top up.

"Using the optional through-loading system to the passenger compartment, the
Z4 is able to accommodate a 46-inch full-size golf bag. When the roof is closed
the luggage compartment easily accommodates up to four crates of large bottles
or when using the through-loading system two 46-inch golf bags."

rmorin49 01-10-2009 05:05 PM

As long as it will carry a decent size suitcase or duffel bag with the top down, it will work for me.

iwanna330cic 01-11-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z4Dennis (Post 3819181)
I believe that the Z4 trunk is about 8.5 cu ft with the top down, and 9.5 cu ft with the top up, and the thingy raised up. So the loss in trunk space with the top down is only about 10%. Hardtop verts really do suck up the trunk space, which is why I would never get one.

Trunk space is not the motivation behind getting a convertible. :yawn:

Doug

guenelin 01-11-2009 09:07 PM

on the trunk space

No, trunk space is not a reason to buy a convertible. However, it does play a significant factor in the decision to buy one. My rule is simple: there must be enough room for a lady and I to take a 4-day weekend trip with luggage.

This means a medium-size luggage and maybe some small duffels. The current Z4 offers a more-than-adequate trunk for this purpose, the 2009+... who knows?

Z4Dennis 01-12-2009 10:46 AM

Myself, I find the trunk space on the old Z4 good. But, the problem comes up when you want to bring along a lady, and her luggage. They seem to require a bit more space then us guys. OH boy, I can just imagine the responses to this statement.

kevalent 01-14-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z4Dennis (Post 3831577)
Myself, I find the trunk space on the old Z4 good. But, the problem comes up when you want to bring along a lady, and her luggage. They seem to require a bit more space then us guys. OH boy, I can just imagine the responses to this statement.

Ha, you aren't kidding! I could fit a weeks worth of clothing and toiletries in a carry-on suitcase...the wife needs at least 3 for the same week. Makes it a real pain when I want to take the Z on vacation trying to fit all of her stuff along with my golf clubs :).

lengelberg 01-15-2009 06:03 PM

I agree with the need for trunk space. The ability to hold 2 golf bags with the top down is a big plus. That's why AI'm looking at the 135 vert when my lease is up. My salesman said that he thinks the new z4 will be able to do it, but I'm not so sure.