Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X5 E70 (2007 - 2013) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   2009 X5 35D Diesel Exhaust Urea Reservoir Problem (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349351)

Joegoesfishing 02-28-2009 04:47 PM

2009 X5 35D Diesel Exhaust Urea Reservoir Problem
 
Seems to be a problem with the Urea Storage/Injection system. At 1700 mi, my X5 displays a service warning that the "Exhaust Fluid is Low"; starting the mileage run down to prevent the vehicle from starting if the problem is not corrected. I checked for a leak & found no evidence of leakage whatsoever. This certainly should not be happening at 1700 mi. Annoying to say the least; undermining my confidence in the vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Joe

Craig B 02-28-2009 06:37 PM

Joe, Gabe had a problem with his urea tank. I think it blew a hose between 1400-1800 miles. Maybe he will see your post and let you know what happened. His car was purchased back by BMW and is waiting for a new one. I haven't had any problems and I have 1100 miles on mine.
Let us know what they find out.

Craig

jetstream23 02-28-2009 10:55 PM

Sounds like hiccups with a first year model. I'd expect a TSB or recall at some point if these urea problems continue. Hopefully won't be as big of a deal as the early e46 M3 engine problems were but it shouldn't be surprising that a new model has a few issues that may need to be resolved. I know that BMW diesels have been around in Europe for a while but is this setup in the U.S. competely new? Especially the urea design for meeting emissions here in the States?

killcrap 03-01-2009 07:11 AM

a leak occurs on the underside left center splash panel

UncleJ 03-01-2009 09:38 AM

I wonder if they use the urea system worldwide or just here, anyone know?

Craig B 03-01-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 3962268)
I wonder if they use the urea system worldwide or just here, anyone know?


Just here for right now. I've heard Europe is also getting strict with emissions. So it won't be long and they will be using it in Europe as well.

Craig

UncleJ 03-02-2009 09:35 AM

So I guess we are the "Beta Test" for BMW to get the urea system sorted out. Since they build all the X5 diesels here it is funny they would build two versions, one for North American use and one for export. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me from a economy of scale standpoint.

d geek 03-02-2009 03:34 PM

EU VI emission standards (due to take effect in 2014) are already being met by 330d without the urea injection system. The AdBlue system is only for the US :(

Joegoesfishing 03-02-2009 06:08 PM

Update

The dealer refilled both tanks (passive & active). The passive tank was empty. The tech could not tell if there was a leak as we had a severe snowstorm today leaving the vehicle dripping melting snow from everywhere. He said he wasn't sure if the vehicle was shipped with the tank partially full. The new vehicle delivery checklist did not include topping off the urea tanks. Time will tell. If this recurrs within another 2000 mi, then there is definitely an abnormal situation unfolding. I'm skeptical.

Craig B 03-02-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing (Post 3966816)
Update

The dealer refilled both tanks (passive & active). The passive tank was empty. The tech could not tell if there was a leak as we had a severe snowstorm today leaving the vehicle dripping melting snow from everywhere. He said he wasn't sure if the vehicle was shipped with the tank partially full. The new vehicle delivery checklist did not include topping off the urea tanks. Time will tell. If this recurrs within another 2000 mi, then there is definitely an abnormal situation unfolding. I'm skeptical.

Good luck! Keep us posted. I hope mine doesn't start to have problems...

Craig

UncleJ 03-03-2009 09:20 AM

I certainly hope they modify their new vehicle check list to include topping off the urea tank!

Craig B 03-03-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 3968315)
I certainly hope they modify their new vehicle check list to include topping off the urea tank!

There is two tanks that need to be filled, passive & active. I find it hard to believe they forgot to fill both tanks at the factory. I hope they did on Joe's car.

Craig

dch8008 03-04-2009 12:51 PM

The folks with Urea storage/tank problems, are you all in cold weather states? I'm wondering if temperature has something to do with it?

Craig B 03-04-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dch8008 (Post 3972445)
The folks with Urea storage/tank problems, are you all in cold weather states? I'm wondering if temperature has something to do with it?

No, Gabe lives in CA. I hope mine doesn't start leaking. I took mine on the highway today,
90% highway, 10% city, got 23.824 MPG @ 80 MPH...

When it's cold here, my mileage isn't great in the city, about 17 MPG in cold
weather. When it warmed up a couple weeks ago, it was about 20 MPG city.
It should improve with break in and warmer weather/ summer blend diesel also...

Craig

Joegoesfishing 03-04-2009 06:31 PM

I live in CT where we are having one of the coldest winters on record. My average temps within a week of the low level indication were in the teens & twenties. The urea solution freezes at 23 deg. F. The passive tank is not heated & will freeze. The active tank, pump & devilery tubes are heated on the active tank. So I know my passive tank was frozen from time to time. The dealer said the tank was in fact empty altogether. The info on the system does say that more frequent refills of the active tank will be required in cold weather. No reason is given but it is readily recognizable that this would be due to the passive tank being frozen, thus unable to allow for a pump transfer to refill the active tank. All that being said, I'm still not sure what happened. I'm waiting for BMW to respond as to whether the cars are shipped with the tanks full.

Joe

Craig B 03-05-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing (Post 3973526)
I live in CT where we are having one of the coldest winters on record. My average temps within a week of the low level indication were in the teens & twenties. The urea solution freezes at 23 deg. F. The passive tank is not heated & will freeze. The active tank, pump & devilery tubes are heated on the active tank. So I know my passive tank was frozen from time to time. The dealer said the tank was in fact empty altogether. The info on the system does say that more frequent refills of the active tank will be required in cold weather. No reason is given but it is readily recognizable that this would be due to the passive tank being frozen, thus unable to allow for a pump transfer to refill the active tank. All that being said, I'm still not sure what happened. I'm waiting for BMW to respond as to whether the cars are shipped with the tanks full.

Joe

Joe, keep us posted... I'm interested to find out.

Craig

Emission 03-06-2009 12:55 AM

What color is the urea? Blue?

UncleJ 03-06-2009 10:14 AM

Urea solution freezes at 23 degrees? Some bright spark at BMW is not paying attention. That is unsat, it makes the car undrivable at temperatures below 23 degees. What about "wind chill when the car in in motion, would that also freeze the tank? I wonder if M-B is having this problem with their brand of urea solution? I guess since the urea equipped cars are not sold in Europe then not a lot of attention was paid to what would happen in the colder parts of North America. Perhaps a block heater would help, but only if you were parked where there was an outlet. Back to the drawing board!

d geek 03-06-2009 10:33 AM

that's the whole point of having an active and a passive tank. my understanding is that they keep the active tank heated so the solution will not be frozen when it is needed for injection.

Craig B 03-06-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d geek (Post 3978652)
that's the whole point of having an active and a passive tank. my understanding is that they keep the active tank heated so the solution will not be frozen when it is needed for injection.

Correct, I've also heard the urea freezes at 12 degrees. The wind chill doesn't matter.
I've driven my car at below zero temps without any problems. Wind chill was way below zero.

Craig

firegabe 03-09-2009 06:22 PM

Hi Joe I had a 35d with the first blown Urea Hose. TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!!! Look under it and remove the heat shield covers under the passenger seat. My X5 had what looked like dried chuncked baking soda, all the way back to the rear Diff.Muffler, etc.

During assembly the hose from the pump to the active tank was kinked when the pump turned on it blew the black plastic line and bingo!

Have your Dealer contact BMW asap so they can start the process of getting you a new hose!!!

Joegoesfishing 03-09-2009 06:41 PM

FireGabe,

Appreciate the info. I suspect I'll be dealing with this again shortly. BMW USA tells me that the tanks should have been full from the factory, so I should not have run out at 1700 mi. They didn't offer that there was a potential problem with a kinked hose. It won't be long before the fluid runs low again if I do in fact have a leak.

firegabe 03-11-2009 01:06 AM

Did you take it to the dealer yet? Once they see the kinked/blown hose you will need to have a new one ordered. Also what is your production date?

rizzo2008 03-11-2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 3964987)
So I guess we are the "Beta Test" for BMW to get the urea system sorted out. Since they build all the X5 diesels here it is funny they would build two versions, one for North American use and one for export. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me from a economy of scale standpoint.

maybe there is a way you can program the car to ignore it (assuming you live in one of the 45 states that does not have the crazy California emissions requirements). It is still quite clean without it to my knowledge.

Craig B 03-11-2009 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rizzo2008 (Post 3991861)
maybe there is a way you can program the car to ignore it (assuming you live in one of the 45 states that does not have the crazy California emissions requirements). It is still quite clean without it to my knowledge.

No way to get around the emissions system. It will shut down the car if it doesn't have enough urea in the tanks. The urea will start to be available at most truck stops this fall. It's my understanding, all 2010 diesel vehicles will have to run urea. It's all the same,so
it should be easier to find.

Craig


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms