Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance Center Delivery (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   What kind of wax / polish does PCD use? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362441)

daranco 04-20-2009 05:59 PM

What kind of wax / polish does PCD use?

Note... I've also posted this question on the detailing section.

The question is: Can anybody tell me exactly what specific product(s)
(waxes, polishes, and/or sealants)
does PCD use when preping a car for delivery / pick-up. I specifically
want to know if those products contain silicones and/or synthetic oils.

I ask because as soon as I get home, I want to wash, clay and then SEAL
the paint with Griots paint sealant.... and I would prefer to not have to
do the paint prep step if I don;t have to.... so that requires me to know
whether PCD's products contain silicones and/or synthetic oils.

Thanks in advance:)

Andrew*Debbie 04-21-2009 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daranco (Post 4110497)
Note... I've also posted this question on the detailing section.

The question is: Can anybody tell me exactly what specific product(s)
(waxes, polishes, and/or sealants)
does PCD use when preping a car for delivery / pick-up. I

I asked when we picked up our car in 2007. The detail shop uses Meguiar's products.

All cars are hand washed and then waxed with Meguiar's 26. 26 is a liquid carnuba wax with silicon.

They will polish a car if there are scratches or swirls in the clear coat.

This may have changed. Maybe someone from the PC will correct me.

I used to use 26 at home. It gives a great shine but doesn't last long. Gold Class shampoo at double or triple strength will strip the 26 right off the car for you.

I-Won-Today 04-21-2009 06:09 AM

They still use #26. Even if the vehicle didn't have any wax on it, I would personally still do the paint prep. Most of the vehicles are coated with a cosmolin wax coating to protect it from the salt air on the boat voyage. That is melted off at the VPC, but I don't know if it leaves anything behind that you would want removed.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

pegscrapr 05-15-2012 05:33 PM

I realize this is an old thread.. so I apologize for waking it back up.
My girlfriend took delivery of her 535i last September at the PDC, and when we got home in California to wash it - water didn't bead on the car at all. Which tells me that there wasn't any wax on the car at all. I'm guessing they don't wax the car unless it's necessary?

I-Won-Today 05-16-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pegscrapr (Post 6836798)
I realize this is an old thread.. so I apologize for waking it back up.
My girlfriend took delivery of her 535i last September at the PDC, and when we got home in California to wash it - water didn't bead on the car at all. Which tells me that there wasn't any wax on the car at all. I'm guessing they don't wax the car unless it's necessary?

I appologize... it must have somehow got missed in the detail process. We have 5 detailers that are here full time to prep our delivery vehicles and they are all supposed to get hand washed and waxed.

thepriceisright 05-16-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Won-Today (Post 4111558)
They still use #26. Even if the vehicle didn't have any wax on it, I would personally still do the paint prep. Most of the vehicles are coated with a cosmolin wax coating to protect it from the salt air on the boat voyage. That is melted off at the VPC, but I don't know if it leaves anything behind that you would want removed.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

This sounds pretty cool. Do any pics or vids exist?

I-Won-Today 05-17-2012 07:09 AM

Unfortunately none that I'm aware of.

Bob Z. 10-19-2012 05:09 AM

How about the tires: are they dressed? I have always instructed dealers I buy new cars from to not use anything on the tires but since I am taking delivery at the PC telling the dealer would not help this time.

Bob Z. 10-22-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 7144210)
How about the tires: are they dressed? I have always instructed dealers I buy new cars from to not use anything on the tires but since I am taking delivery at the PC telling the dealer would not help this time.

I found out that they do in fact dress the tires; however, I made a request to not have it applied but I understand they have a process so I am ok with it if they do. Personally, I like the purple grape-smelling Mequires tire dressing, which I found lasts a while and does not turn brown over time.

DCC 01-01-2013 07:50 PM

So can i conclude that each vehicle for pcd is detailed by hand as part of the delivery prep process?
It sure beats the local dealership's wash and dry approach...

CE750Jockey 01-04-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCC (Post 7283618)
So can i conclude that each vehicle for pcd is detailed by hand as part of the delivery prep process?
It sure beats the local dealership's wash and dry approach...

Anyone?

Bob Z. 01-04-2013 10:19 AM

Yes they are!

CE750Jockey 01-04-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 7289568)
Yes they are!

Thank you, sir.

DCC 01-04-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Z. (Post 7289568)
Yes they are!

Good to know....thanks