Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   "Repeat Gear Selection" Warning Light (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363246)

JoeBeam7 04-23-2009 07:05 PM

"Repeat Gear Selection" Warning Light

Hello everybody, I recently had to remove my air filter compartment to replace one of the small headlight bulbs on the front passenger side. Once the bulb was put in, I re-installed the air filter compartment but now my car is showing a "Repeat Gear Selection" Warning Light almost every time my car comes to a stop.

Anybody know what the cause might be?

gulfviewmassive 04-23-2009 07:45 PM

thats happened to me, but only occassionaly! if its happening as often to you, then something is really wrong.......it could be the start of transmission related problem and if ur under warranty take it to the dealer and seek some solutions quickly!

gridlock249 04-23-2009 08:29 PM

I am about to change my microfilter myself and reset the warning sign through IDRIVE. Last thing I need is a malfunction with my transmission. If someone can elaborate on this in detail I would like to know.

J//

mbz1 04-23-2009 08:40 PM

My 03 started that also and guess what, it started to run the battery down if it sat more then 3 days.. took to dealer they found a bad park switch in the leaver that you move to get to drive and park it also showed a falt in the SZL too.. what he told me was the car was not going to sleep because of the problem with the park switch being bad so new park leaver and SZL and a reprogram that took care of the Repeat Gear Selection problem..:thumbup:

JoeBeam7 04-24-2009 03:26 PM

What's an SZL?

I wasn't having this problem until removed the air filter compartment to replace a headlight bulb. My instincts are telling me that I might not have re-inserted the air filter compartment the proper way and something within that realm is causing the issue. But with that said, I have no idea where to begin with the diagnosis.

cosmoapt 10-24-2010 12:36 PM

OMG!!! Im having the same exact problem. the battery runs down etc. Repeat gear selection is haunting me. I changed trans fluid after it took it the dealer they said it is probably low. I changed it and same problem. REPEAT GEAR SELECTION. I have 03 760LI

Did you find anything else out? I just changed fluid today.

mbz1 10-24-2010 08:41 PM

My 03 started that also and guess what, it started to run the battery down if it sat more then 3 days.. took to dealer they found a bad park switch in the leaver that you move to get to drive and park it also showed a falt in the SZL too.. what he told me was the car was not going to sleep because of the problem with the park switch being bad so new park leaver and SZL and a reprogram that took care of the Repeat Gear Selection problem..

cosmoapt 10-26-2010 07:14 PM

i bought the parking lever adn im going to replace it this weekend. I hope the SZL is good. That is a dealer only item that is expensive./

any other issues with your 03? It seems like everyday i have another issue.

ezebmw730 11-01-2010 05:01 PM

Had same problem replaced gear selector and it fixed it no probs

cosmoapt 11-05-2010 11:57 PM

i replaced gear lever and now the repeat gear selection is gone, (thanks all) now i have a trans fault anf air bag and restraining system warning. Any help here?

thanks

sr71 03-07-2011 03:40 PM

how much did that gear switch lever cost??

Andrewadams211 11-19-2012 01:15 PM

Ok, now when we say "gear switch lever" we are talking about the actual thing in the cabin? Right? Nothing in the transmission...right? I have this issue now "repeat gear selection" and I am going to try replacing the lever in the next few days.