Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   My mid-life crisis has finally hit .... (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370904)

TeamM3 05-24-2009 01:42 PM

My mid-life crisis has finally hit ....
 
I had a (now ex-) GF accuse me of already having it back in my mid-30s fifteen years ago because of my love for sportscars and racing :rolleyes:

but anyways, I was looking at the new Ducati Streetfighter S the other day :eeps:

I want one, badly :jawdrop:

I haven't been on a bike since my teen years, used to motocross and enduro back then, but never had any desire to ride on the street. Had some good friends that were in extremely bad accidents with cars and such :eek: With the big 5-0 rolling up and no family I now have more of an "oh well" attitude about it :dunno:

talk me out of it, please .... :angel:

AndrewZ 05-24-2009 03:22 PM

go4it

Kamdog 05-24-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamM3 (Post 4208804)
I had a (now ex-) GF accuse me of already having it back in my mid-30s fifteen years ago because of my love for sportscars and racing :rolleyes:

but anyways, I was looking at the new Ducati Streetfighter S the other day :eeps:

I want one, badly :jawdrop:

I haven't been on a bike since my teen years, used to motocross and enduro back then, but never had any desire to ride on the street. Had some good friends that were in extremely bad accidents with cars and such :eek: With the big 5-0 rolling up and no family I now have more of an "oh well" attitude about it :dunno:

talk me out of it, please .... :angel:

Don't do it.

There, I tried to talk you out of it, just like you asked.

IMO, since you have no kids, and probably no intention of starting a family, and, I presume, no dependents, it is actually responsible of you to go for the gusto while you still can. Fifty ain't that old, but, it is getting up there, and, as you age from now on, there will continue to be things you can no longer do.

Do them while you can.


I hope that I have successfully talked you out of a life experience you want......

JonM 05-24-2009 05:34 PM

If there is the slightest chance you would ever regret it later someday, then you must do it.

I like that bike a lot, too.

AndrewZ 05-24-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 4209203)
If there is the slightest chance you would ever regret it later someday, then you must do it.

I like that bike a lot, too.

I love any Ducati. :D

TeamM3 05-24-2009 06:31 PM

:feigneddiscontentwithyouguys:

I may wait until the loan on my other vehicle is paid off later this year, the way I see it this will save a lot of fuel over driving the truck daily :eeps:

AndrewZ 05-24-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamM3 (Post 4209354)
:feigneddiscontentwithyouguys:

I may wait until the loan on my other vehicle is paid off later this year, the way I see it this will save a lot of fuel over driving the truck daily :eeps:

They say patience is a virtue. But then they also say to live today as if its your last.

Just sayin...

vexed 05-24-2009 07:01 PM

I rode in my teens and early 20's. Almost bought a bike when I moved out here but decided the drivers were so awful that despite my efforts I would eat it some day.

Having said that there is nothing like a bike, and in your situation I would do it. Just remember reflexes and other things slow down.

My business partner who is in his 60's is having the urge to get a bike. Since he never rode I urging him not do.

Ryan... 05-25-2009 08:01 AM

Don't get it.


Go for it! If the previous poster was correct about your family situation, I see no reason why you couldn't, or shouldn't, get a bike... I think you'd regret not getting one, they're an absolute blast, and you would save money on gas too :D

How exactly did you stumble across the ducati though? Before you buy one and drop a ton of money on it, I would really recommend you check out the Buell Firebolt, I test rode four of them, beautiful bikes, great sound, and they handle like they're on rails.

biglovemp 05-26-2009 06:16 AM

Just DO IT!:eeps:

Melissa 05-26-2009 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryans E39 (Post 4210359)
How exactly did you stumble across the ducati though? Before you buy one and drop a ton of money on it, I would really recommend you check out the Buell Firebolt, I test rode four of them, beautiful bikes, great sound, and they handle like they're on rails.

I'm sorry....don't take this the wrong way, but....
comparing a Buell to a Ducati is....well....:confused:


Team....get it get it get it get it get it!

No pressure! :D

Ryan... 05-26-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melissa (Post 4215021)
I'm sorry....don't take this the wrong way, but....
comparing a Buell to a Ducati is....well....:confused:

I was basing that off looks, and the buell actually handles very well...

Ducati:
http://www.doxupport.com/JMCNB_Multi...1000R_Xess.jpg

Buell:
http://www.motorcyclingblog.com/medi.../061123007.jpg

JonM 05-26-2009 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryans E39 (Post 4215048)
I was basing that off looks, and the buell actually handles very well...

Ducati:
http://www.doxupport.com/JMCNB_Multi...1000R_Xess.jpg

That is not a Ducati. The Honda name in the crankcase sort of gives it a way.

This is a Ducati Streetfighter:

http://www.streetfighter.ducati.com/img/43_SF_S.jpg

And for what it's worth, assuming the money isn't a factor (which is a big assumption), the streetfighter isn't a bad choice to get into riding*. The bars and seating position will make it predictable, comfortable (especially by Ducati standards) and easy to handle.

* I am not one of those people who says you should start on a 250 or a beater bike or some dirt bike. Ride what you want and what you can afford. You could get cancer tomorrow and it will all be over any way.

Ryan... 05-26-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 4215110)
That is not a Ducati. The Honda name in the crankcase sort of gives it a way.
.

Dang :rofl: It's too late for me to be posting on forums! That popped up after I typed in the name of the bike... still pretty close in appearence IMO.

TeamM3 05-26-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryans E39 (Post 4215177)
Dang :rofl: It's too late for me to be posting on forums! That popped up after I typed in the name of the bike... still pretty close in appearence IMO.

:slap: :rofl:

I'm having some second thoughts, my practical side kicked into gear :mad:

the base price + all the accessory pricing :eeps: + the riding gear to go with it = cost of a car :eek:

soooo beautiful though, want ...

http://www.streetfighter.ducati.com/.../accessori.jsp

.

biglovemp 05-27-2009 06:21 AM

Dont you already have a car?:confused:
If so, why two of them?

Just get the bike already and post some pics ASAP.:D

3LOU5 05-27-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamM3 (Post 4215302)
:slap: :rofl:

I'm having some second thoughts, my practical side kicked into gear :mad:

the base price + all the accessory pricing :eeps: + the riding gear to go with it = cost of a car :eek:

soooo beautiful though, want ...

http://www.streetfighter.ducati.com/.../accessori.jsp

.

C'mon man, a car is a car. It will NEVER give you the same visceral stimulation as something on two wheels. At least, something like this (Bimota's answer to Ducati's streetfighter):

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/pic...0Viamaggio.jpg

You know you want it..... :angel:

TeamM3 05-27-2009 09:49 PM

nice .... but Ducati always had a special appeal to me, a magnetic beckoning ...

chadi 05-28-2009 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryans E39 (Post 4215048)

Man, that is one jet focking black tire in the back...:eeps:

simplemind 06-15-2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamM3 (Post 4208804)
talk me out of it, please .... :angel:

Well, I always think there are "those things that happen to you that you have no control over" and there are "those things that you do to yourself" :loco:

That said, take an first and then make your decision.

Then, you will be able to do this :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKAIz94s39o

3beemers 06-26-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamM3 (Post 4208804)
I had a (now ex-) GF accuse me of already having it back in my mid-30s fifteen years ago because of my love for sportscars and racing :rolleyes:

but anyways, I was looking at the new Ducati Streetfighter S the other day :eeps:

I want one, badly :jawdrop:

I haven't been on a bike since my teen years, used to motocross and enduro back then, but never had any desire to ride on the street. Had some good friends that were in extremely bad accidents with cars and such :eek: With the big 5-0 rolling up and no family I now have more of an "oh well" attitude about it :dunno:

talk me out of it, please .... :angel:

Big 5-0? How about a little bit bigger 6-3 on 08 K1200S? Will that stop you?

3beemers 06-28-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamM3 (Post 4209354)
:feigneddiscontentwithyouguys:

I may wait until the loan on my other vehicle is paid off later this year, the way I see it this will save a lot of fuel over driving the truck daily :eeps:

Would it help to buy the motorcycle now, savings on gas now would contribute to paying the truck faster? Just my thought.

Regards


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms