Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E46 (1999 - 2006) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   2004 BMW 325i has no auxillary port. I want to play my IPOD. Options? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375951)

soroush3344 06-13-2009 11:53 PM

2004 BMW 325i has no auxillary port. I want to play my IPOD. Options?

I have been researching for 2 hours trying to figure out the cheapest way to play my ipod in my car. I hear that FM transmitters have poor quality. I asked BMW to install an auxillary port - WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

What do you guys recommend? Install auxillary port? FM transmitter? DICE?

I want to hear good sound quality, but I don't want to spend much...

SocalZHP 06-13-2009 11:56 PM

I installed my auxillary port myself. Paid under $50 for it too online. If you can change your own oil, you can install this. I tried an FM transmitter for about 30 seconds before I realized the auxillary port was the way to go for sound quality.

Bucknekkid 06-14-2009 12:36 AM

I have an FM transmitter and it focking rocks ! !...I don't understand why most think they have to get the Dice or other BS when a transmitter works just fine...:dunno:

shadow 2 06-14-2009 05:36 AM

FM transmitters suck badly, esp if you have lots of FM channels nearby. Even if you do not, sound quality is far better with a direct connection to the radio. Try it and find out.

Scott ZHP 06-14-2009 05:43 AM

I have a new aux input in the bag; will sell if for $35.

Coconutpete 06-14-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucknekkid (Post 4266303)
I have an FM transmitter and it focking rocks ! !...I don't understand why most think they have to get the Dice or other BS when a transmitter works just fine...:dunno:

I have one in my Volvo and I agree they work fine.

Sound quality, however, is on a much much lower level than aux input.

K.I.M.POSSIBLE 06-14-2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soroush3344 (Post 4266269)
I have been researching for 2 hours trying to figure out the cheapest way to play my ipod in my car. I hear that FM transmitters have poor quality. I asked BMW to install an auxillary port - WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

What do you guys recommend? Install auxillary port? FM transmitter? DICE?

I want to hear good sound quality, but I don't want to spend much...

Buy the cable and insall it yourself it's a very easy DIY. my cable cost 38.00 from the Austin BMW dealer. Where in Tx are you?

SlimKlim 06-14-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucknekkid (Post 4266303)

Because you get radio station quality with your radio station transmitter. So it doesnt really work just fine if you want any semblance of quality

Solidjake 06-14-2009 10:26 AM

FM transmitter in NYC is super fail

SlimKlim 06-14-2009 10:50 AM

Also, I think the quality of the aux jack is OK, but you have to be careful about adjusting the volume equally, and you can't charge it. My Ipod Integration has been worth every penny, I use it all day everyday, with both of my ipods. :rofl:

Solidjake 06-14-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimKlim (Post 4266949)
Also, I think the quality of the aux jack is OK, but you have to be careful about adjusting the volume equally, and you can't charge it. My Ipod Integration has been worth every penny, I use it all day everyday, with both of my ipods. :rofl:

+1000, I love the integration as well.

soroush3344 06-14-2009 01:27 PM

I live in the DFW area. Which FM transmitter do you have? Do you guys have links for any of these products?

soroush3344 06-14-2009 01:39 PM

So, let me get this straight. If your car doesn't have an auxiliary port. Do you buy an auxiliary cable and install the port (OR) just buy the auxiliary cable?

SocalZHP 06-14-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soroush3344 (Post 4267290)
So, let me get this straight. If your car doesn't have an auxiliary port. Do you buy an auxiliary cable and install the port (OR) just buy the auxiliary cable?

One end of the cable plugs into an existing port on the back of your head unit (factory radio). The other end simply plugs into the earphone jack on the ipod. Sound quality is perfect, and theres no need to create playlists like you have to when you use an interface. All you have to do is turn the ipod volume up all the way for best sound quality.

Edit: Sorry, did this answer your question?

soroush3344 06-14-2009 01:58 PM

so you take the radio out, plug one end of the cable to the back of the radio. Where do you run the through then? And when I say cable, any auxiliary cable will do right?

SlimKlim 06-14-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SocalZHP (Post 4267326)
One end of the cable plugs into an existing port on the back of your head unit (factory radio). The other end simply plugs into the earphone jack on the ipod. Sound quality is perfect, and theres no need to create playlists like you have to when you use an interface. All you have to do is turn the ipod volume up all the way for best sound quality.

Edit: Sorry, did this answer your question?

I can use my ipod interface only, no play lists, with my integration kit.

jcourcoul 06-14-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soroush3344 (Post 4267340)
so you take the radio out, plug one end of the cable to the back of the radio. Where do you run the through then? And when I say cable, any auxiliary cable will do right?

Some folks install the female jack in front, next to the DSC/TPS/ETC buttons so your iPod can be left out in the open for all carthieves to see but you'll be able to operate it without taking your eyes off the road too much.

Others place it inside the glovebox and can hide the iPod there, except when having to change anything where you have to stretch all the way across to reach. Or get a copilot to do the adjustments for you...

SocalZHP 06-14-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlimKlim (Post 4267364)
I can use my ipod interface only, no play lists, with my integration kit.

If you wanted a specific song, do you scroll through your library directly through the Ipod?

OP, yes the kit comes with a female plug. Any male to male mini trs plug will work. I use a longer cable that reaches the cupholder.

soroush3344 06-15-2009 01:04 AM

Thanks. So does anyone know a good place to buy this auxiliary stuff? Could you please give me a link?

K.I.M.POSSIBLE 06-15-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soroush3344 (Post 4268479)
Thanks. So does anyone know a good place to buy this auxiliary stuff? Could you please give me a link?

The dealer. Tha cable is less than 40 bucks.

magbarn 06-15-2009 10:07 AM

Make sure your car has a 3/2003 or later build date. I believe the older cars don't have a jack on the back of the radio for the aux input. The obvious exceptions would be the cars that have had their radios replaced due to warranty issues. BTW there's a "hidden" function under the audio controls that allows you to control the sound "level" of the aux input as the default is set way too low requiring you to turn up the volume on your mp3 player.

jcourcoul 06-15-2009 11:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by soroush3344 (Post 4268479)

Ok, leme see:

eBay, eLuka, $36.99+shipping, pics below (inc. in-glovebox installation):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...fAudioQ5fVideo

Bavarian Autosport, $39.95+shipping, pics below. Copy the part number (82 11 0 149 389) into the search box and click Search:

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Or dealer, take the part no. I gave you above.

bhansell 06-15-2009 04:14 PM

Has anyone heard of installing the aux port behind the center armrest, in the ashtray? Seems like it'd be a fairly accessible location, but still hidden away. I'm just curious if routing the cable there would be possible...

K.I.M.POSSIBLE 06-15-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magbarn (Post 4269341)
Make sure your car has a 3/2003 or later build date. I believe the older cars don't have a jack on the back of the radio for the aux input. The obvious exceptions would be the cars that have had their radios replaced due to warranty issues. BTW there's a "hidden" function under the audio controls that allows you to control the sound "level" of the aux input as the default is set way too low requiring you to turn up the volume on your mp3 player.

Correction.. All cars past like 2000 have the jack. Only 9/02 and higher radios have the aux feature. It doesn;t matter about the build date of your car, just the manu. date of the radio.

OP has a 2004 bTW so he's good.

K.I.M.POSSIBLE 06-15-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhansell (Post 4270589)
Has anyone heard of installing the aux port behind the center armrest, in the ashtray? Seems like it'd be a fairly accessible location, but still hidden away. I'm just curious if routing the cable there would be possible...

You could basically put it anywhere you want given the correct cable length.