Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X1 E84 (2011 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   BMW X1 confirmed for US in 2011 (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380222)

horatiub 07-01-2009 07:13 PM

BMW X1 confirmed for US in 2011

It was confirmed today that the BMW X1 is planned to debut in the United States in calendar year 2011. The X1 has been conceived with the flexibility to offer traditional rear-wheel drive and xDrive all-wheel drive configurations, as well as a wide variety of gasoline and diesel powertrain choices. In light of rapidly evolving US market demands, fuel prices, and regulatory standards, elements of the X1's US launch plan, including engine and drivetrain configurations, will be forthcoming closer to the time of launch.

The BMW X1 will debut in Europe this fall with a choice of four engines - one gasoline and three diesels - and will be available in rear-wheel drive and xDrive all-wheel drive configurations. The X1 will set new benchmarks in the premium compact segment for efficiency, comfort, utility, and of course driving dynamics. Achieving up to 5.2 L/100km (45.2 miles per US gallon) on the European test cycle, the BMW Advanced Diesel-powered X1 sDrive18d will provide remarkable fuel efficiency while still achieving a top speed of 200km/h (124mph). Each drivetrain choice for the X1 will showcase the latest results of BMW's EfficientDynamics engineering strategy, which is focused to reduce emissions and consumption while enhancing the performance expected of any BMW.

bbmertz 07-01-2009 09:21 PM

Any speculation as to why the X1 will be launched in the US a year later than the introduction in Europe? Is it perhaps to avoid competing with the launch of the redesigned X3 which is rumored to be released in early 2010?

TMQ 07-03-2009 11:53 AM

X1 seems like a nice vehicle to have. It'll be great to get the diesel options in the U.S., but this is likely just wishful thinking.

AzNMpower32 07-04-2009 06:28 AM

There are various diesel and rear-wheel drive versions, but we will only get the xDrive28i version. Which means I couldn't care less for it.

jkp1187 07-04-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 4320466)
There are various diesel and rear-wheel drive versions, but we will only get the xDrive28i version. Which means I couldn't care less for it.

If all they offer is the N52, I have no interest in it either. Has to be a diesel. It's supposed to be a utility vehicle, for pity's sake, I don't care what it looks like (EDIT: as long as it's not Aztek-ugly,) I don't care about its 1/4-mile times, I want it to be able to haul stuff with minimal fuel expenditure. (Oh, and handle like a Bimmer.) That's it.

135eye 07-07-2009 08:04 PM

which one is your blog?

X3 Skier 08-09-2009 06:21 AM

Can't wait for another ED!

Cheers

AzNMpower32 08-09-2009 07:05 AM

I realised that in Europe, the 6 cyl is only offered with an automatic. That's likely the case for the US as well.

strider41 01-18-2010 09:01 PM

If the 1 series 5 door is not offered in the states, then my next BMW purchase for EDP may be the X1. May just check both out on my next trip to Europe.

jasjr1023 01-25-2010 08:38 AM

X1 SUV diesel

Have 2007 X3 and am chomping at the bit for the new X1 diesel SUV to come out. Have already committed to dealer to buy one. Thought they were going to be in Greer, but now I see they will be made in Leipzig. Any one no firm date. See 2011 calender year, but does that mean late 2010 intro for US for the 2011 model. Confusing.

STE92VE 07-28-2010 02:16 PM

Wonder why this thread has not been updated...:dunno:

The latest is that the X1 will be released to the US about 6 months after the launch of the new X3. The X3 will be launched at the end of 2010.

AzNMpower32 07-28-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STE92VE (Post 5356512)
Wonder why this thread has not been updated...:dunno:

The latest is that the X1 will be released to the US about 6 months after the launch of the new X3. The X3 will be launched at the end of 2010.

There isn't much interest in the US for an X1 because most Americans will view it as too small and expensive for their needs. It's a wonder that BMW even decided to bring it over because the US just isn't a suitable market for it.

STE92VE 07-29-2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5356650)
There isn't much interest in the US for an X1 because most Americans will view it as too small and expensive for their needs. It's a wonder that BMW even decided to bring it over because the US just isn't a suitable market for it.

I whole heartily disagree.

Aren't we Americans the epitome of conspicuous consumption?

:D

Zeke77 07-29-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5356650)

I don't agree. I've heard from at least two co-workers who own an X5/X3 that they are now thinking about the X1. My wife--normally not one to get too excited about cars--has asked me several times "when can we get one of those X1's we saw in Munich?" (BTW, during a non-ED visit to the Welt recently, the X1 was getting just about as much attention as the F9 concept car turning on the dias next to it.)

My sense is that there are more people out there that are thinking "smaller is better" for a number of reasons.

As a former X5 owner, and current X3 owner, I'm pretty excited about this vehicle. I may not be representative of the total market, but I can tell you that I would likely have thought "too small" only a few years ago. My perspective has changed, and I don't think I'm the only one.

AzNMpower32 07-29-2010 11:12 AM

I feel that the entry price point for an X1 will be in the low $30s, with things like leather, xenons, electric seats, Bluetooth, and moonroof as optional equipment. For that price, most Americans would compare it with cars like the Mazda CX whatever, Toyota Highlander (or even a RAV4), Ford Edge, etc... that cost less and offer a whole lot more standard equipment. Overall, "better bang for the buck". The X1 also has less cargo space than competing Crossovers and on paper, similar EPA fuel consumption numbers.

You and I probably don't fit into the typical American demographic car buyer; Americans as a market group still cannot appreciate paying extra for small vehicles and don't drive their vehicles on winding mountain roads. They just need something to get them to-from point A and B, on the interstate and in the city. They don't want a manual gearbox, they don't care for sport suspension, they just want a transportation appliance.

STE92VE 07-29-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5358472)
I feel that the entry price point for an X1 will be in the low $30s, with things like leather, xenons, electric seats, Bluetooth, and moonroof as optional equipment. For that price, most Americans would compare it with cars like the Mazda CX whatever, Toyota Highlander (or even a RAV4), Ford Edge, etc... that cost less and offer a whole lot more standard equipment. Overall, "better bang for the buck". The X1 also has less cargo space than competing Crossovers and on paper, similar EPA fuel consumption numbers.

Not to be self promoting, but:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...21&postcount=1

Quote:

You and I probably don't fit into the typical American demographic car buyer; Americans as a market group still cannot appreciate paying extra for small vehicles and don't drive their vehicles on winding mountain roads. They just need something to get them to-from point A and B, on the interstate and in the city. They don't want a manual gearbox, they don't care for sport suspension, they just want a transportation appliance.

That's why enthusiasts drive BMW's ....:D

AzNMpower32 07-29-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STE92VE (Post 5358542)

BMW does not solely cater to driving enthusiasts. A lot of people simply want a luxury car and/or a BMW. Do you really think your average American driver understands the full capabilities of his/her BMW?

Honestly, I get the impression that many of them bought their Bimmer simply because it was on the dealer lot with the gearbox and colour they wanted.

Zeke77 07-29-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Yes, I think your point is generally true. I guess my feeling is this: Even if the market for the X1 in the U.S. is relatively small, it's likely to be larger than it would have been had the model debuted just a few years ago.

Admittedly, I don't have much data to back up my intuition on this, but I just think upscale efficiency is now more of a status symbol than it was before. On my block, people actively diss the Hummer owner as an out-of-touch dinosaur. My neighbor and I used to talk about the latest M cars, but we tend now to be more interested in the specs of the latest Tesla roadster. In general, it seems there are less people nterested in showing off the size/horsepower of their vehicles, and more that would rather compete with the Joneses on who is "more green"--or, at least less likely to be seen filling up an Escalade at a BP station.

STE92VE 07-29-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STE92VE (Post 5358542)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 (Post 5358576)
BMW does not solely cater to driving enthusiasts. A lot of people simply want a luxury car and/or a BMW. Do you really think your average American driver understands the full capabilities of his/her BMW?

Honestly, I get the impression that many of them bought their Bimmer simply because it was on the dealer lot with the gearbox and colour they wanted.

Precisely why I worded my comment the way I did....

Wasn't this a question on an SAT test?

BWM manufactures cars for enthusiasts.

Enthusiasts drive BMW's.

Are all BMW drivers enthusiasts?

georgek 08-31-2010 10:26 AM

offer it and they will come

park a sparkly new X1 at my healthclub, tell admirers it's a diesel and gets 40+mpg yet sounds, drives and handles like any petrol bimmer and I guarantee you my buddies will be jealous.