Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   General BMW (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do BMW owners wash car more than other car owners? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39046)

BmW4EveR330ci 08-26-2003 01:34 PM

Do BMW owners wash car more than other car owners?
 
I just want to get an idea on how often do all you BMW owners wash your car AND do you feel that you might NOT be doing it as much if it wasn't a bimmer but a Lexus, Honda, or a Toyota maybe.

I want a nice new shiney look from my car and tend to wash it once a week rain or shine. I feel that I might be over doing it as it seems like I am the ONLY car owner on my whole street block that does this so frequently. I guess I should not care about what my neighbors might think but I feel that they might think I am overly obsessed with keeping my car clean eventhough it does look somewhat clean already.

My neighbors around me also have pretty nice cars like a Lexus, Infiniti, Acura MDX, Hondas, but I am the only BMW owner on the block. I just don't see them fussing over their car as much as me.

Any thoughts on this or what NEIGHBORS thought?
:yikes:

The HACK 08-26-2003 01:37 PM

I've washed my car twice a month regardless of what it was/is. My dad's Maxima, my old '90 Integra, my Z3 and my 323ci.

The only exception was for a while with the Z3, when I lived in an apartment in West L.A. I couldn't wash it as often, so I only washed it when I went home to visit my folks. :dunno:

I have a neighbor who washes his G35 twice a week. :dunno: :dunno:

mbr129 08-26-2003 01:49 PM

I wash both my black Benz and my 330i once every couple of weeks. Wheels once a week. Once a month I do the interior. Once every two months I wax. Twice a year I do complete clay/polish/wax.

tgravo2 08-26-2003 02:41 PM

I've always kept up all of my vehicles, 2 trucks, SUV, and this car

The Roadstergal 08-26-2003 02:54 PM

I keep my BMW and my Miata equally clean.


Edit - I think the Miata's a little cleaner.

suzer 08-26-2003 03:04 PM

I keep my X5 much cleaner than I kept my 4Runner.

Just yesterday I was noticing that I never cleaned my wheels on my 4Runner (not in 8 years), but if I don't clean them on the X5 it drives me crazy.

I think our neighbors think we spend too much time on our cars. We clean them once a week, usually Saturday morning or Sunday evening. We are usually the only ones washing our cars. We have a very good time doing it - drinking coffee or beer (depending on the time of day), laughing and chasing each other with the water and whatnot.

I think they spend too much time watering their yards and edging their lawns. We water and mow, but not with the exacting precision that our neighbors have.

Everybody's got their hobby.

car_for_mom 08-27-2003 01:53 AM

My next door neighbor, who has a Mitsubishi Galant (I thought it was a Diamante), washes his car every other day :yikes:

I wash Karl Bimmer weekly; that's about my limit of tolerance for brake dust :p Ah, he looks soooo nice after I'm done, with his little TopasBlau self!

I'm over the dings (not that bad), swirls (oh, well), door hits (in the future, Lord willing, I'm only parking next to other Bimmers! :rolleyes: ); I just can't stress too much over those things anymore!

HaqDeluxe 08-27-2003 02:00 PM

Well, I like to keep all my Bimmers..... Wait a minute....

I'll get back to you on this..

I got to go wash my car! :thumbup:

julz 04-12-2005 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BmW4EveR330ci
I just want to get an idea on how often do all you BMW owners wash your car AND do you feel that you might NOT be doing it as much if it wasn't a bimmer but a Lexus, Honda, or a Toyota maybe.

I want a nice new shiney look from my car and tend to wash it once a week rain or shine. I feel that I might be over doing it as it seems like I am the ONLY car owner on my whole street block that does this so frequently. I guess I should not care about what my neighbors might think but I feel that they might think I am overly obsessed with keeping my car clean eventhough it does look somewhat clean already.

My neighbors around me also have pretty nice cars like a Lexus, Infiniti, Acura MDX, Hondas, but I am the only BMW owner on the block. I just don't see them fussing over their car as much as me.

Any thoughts on this or what NEIGHBORS thought?
:yikes:

I don't think it's completely the car. I think it's alot to do with the person. I believe it's pride of ownership first. I've had a lot of beautiful cars and a couple of embarassments. I treated them all the same. I clean them all with care and pride because if someone sees my car I want them to know that I take the time take good care of it. I think it says alot about a person.

Secondly, well ..a BMW does give alot of pleasure to "pride of ownership." I wash mine if its dirty, could be once a month or 5 times a month. The amount of time I spend cleaning does raise neighbors eyebrows. And yes Mr. "ArtSlinger" it is "just a 92". Maybe I should just haul it to the dump eh?

I spend a total of 2 hours washing, drying and detailing my car each time. I'm sure my neighbors don't give a hoot about their cars and it shows.

ezsce46 04-12-2005 01:36 PM

As you progress thru the bmw ownership experience, frequency of wash diminishes. And of all the cars you mentioned only maybe the G35s come close to bmw's brake dust generating prowess. So in fact you're not really "washing" cars more often per se, then cleaning your wheels. Which I do every other day....this is after 4 yrs.... :eeps:

Wallenrod 04-12-2005 02:03 PM

I still haven't wash my car since I took delivery (well redelivery since it was an ED) last year. That's why I ordered silver grey!

Sab 04-12-2005 02:35 PM

I paid for 6 months of unlimited (hand) car washes. I end up going once or twice a week. I live in a condo in the city so I miss having a driveway to give the ultimate driving machine the ultimate car wash.

MMME30W 04-12-2005 05:33 PM

I washed my 1985 Honda Civic as much as my Bimmer. About every 2-3 weeks, average...?

Matthew330Ci 04-12-2005 05:48 PM

I hate washing cars with a passion so I naturally wash it as least often as possible. and when i do wash cars, i'm such a perfectionist it takes me 2+ hours to do a regular outside only wash, i guess that's another reason i hate washing cars...

my last car (civic si) was black so it would get dirty real quick so i think i washed it more often than the bimmer.

jaydoc1 04-12-2005 06:41 PM

My personal record is 3 times in one day. I washed it early in the morning then a truck threw up a bunch of dust on me. Rewashed it. Then something in that particular car wash dripped white mineral deposits all over it. Rewashed it.

JonathanIT 04-12-2005 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julz
I don't think it's completely the car. I think it's alot to do with the person. I believe it's pride of ownership first. I've had a lot of beautiful cars and a couple of embarassments. I treated them all the same. I clean them all with care and pride because if someone sees my car I want them to know that I take the time take good care of it. I think it says alot about a person.

Secondly, well ..a BMW does give alot of pleasure to "pride of ownership." I wash mine if its dirty, could be once a month or 5 times a month. The amount of time I spend cleaning does raise neighbors eyebrows. And yes Mr. "ArtSlinger" it is "just a 92". Maybe I should just haul it to the dump eh?

I spend a total of 2 hours washing, drying and detailing my car each time. I'm sure my neighbors don't give a hoot about their cars and it shows.

Was it really neccessary to resurrect this 1 1/2+ year old thread when there's already a "how often do you wash your car" thread like right below?? :dunno:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94011

--J.

icemanjs4 04-12-2005 09:57 PM

Well since the thread is going, has anyone noticed that the interior of the BMW tends to stay pretty dust-free? My altima was like a dust magnet -and the black dash usually looked white. I've had my BMW for 2 or 3 weeks now and I've hardly noticed a spec of dust on the inside, except maybe on the NAV screen. Is it the air filter that does this? Or is the dash covered in some sort of anti-static vinyl?

epbrown 04-12-2005 10:10 PM

I'd say a combination of both. I've found I collect less dust if I keep the leather conditioned, and I'm sure the microfilter helps as well.,

Emanuel

Artslinger 04-13-2005 04:53 AM

I wash my car when its dirty.

Tanning machine 04-13-2005 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icemanjs4
Well since the thread is going, has anyone noticed that the interior of the BMW tends to stay pretty dust-free?

Not if it's a convertible it doesn't.

BTW, I would guess the frequency of washing depends much more on the owner than on the make of car. For every fastidious BMW owner, you could probably find a guy who's so keen on his 1985 Toyota that he, too, washes it 3 times a week. Either you take pride in keeping your car clean, or you worry about other things more.

Nick325xiT 5spd 04-13-2005 06:52 AM

I need to wash my M3. It's more brown than blue right now...

Patrick 04-13-2005 06:56 AM

We should have had a "post pics of your dirty BMW" this past winter. :eek:


.

Tanning machine 04-13-2005 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
I need to wash my M3. It's more brown than blue right now...

Could have been another one, but I saw a really dirty blue M3 on Loughboro/Nebraska in DC this past Sunday. So, either you're not alone . . . or you have a really dirty M3!

:D

bobby13 04-16-2005 12:35 PM

I wash my E 60 once a week, or so. It's black and looks much better clean. Also, I can't stand dirty wheels. I guess I'd do the same thing no matter what kind of car I owned.

Bruce128iC 04-16-2005 01:00 PM

I get my car washed once every six weeks whether it needs it or not. :thumbup:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms