Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   New iDrive HDD based Navigation updates (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390674)

asaseaban 08-14-2009 10:52 AM

New iDrive HDD based Navigation updates
 
Anyone know how BMW plans on updating the new hard drive based navigation systems. Does it require taking the car to the dealership or updates can be downloaded via BMW Connected Drive?

hayden 08-14-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asaseaban (Post 4433058)
Anyone know how BMW plans on updating the new hard drive based navigation systems. Does it require taking the car to the dealership or updates can be downloaded via BMW Connected Drive?

Don't know for a fact, but I'm fairly certain it will be dealer updates.

pepsicola47 08-18-2009 03:43 AM

I work in a dealership, and as far as I know. It has to be update in a dealership.

asaseaban 08-18-2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepsicola47 (Post 4442474)
I work in a dealership, and as far as I know. It has to be update in a dealership.

So i assume customers will receive some kind of email or notification from their dealership whenever new updates for the Navigation system OS and/or maps are available or customers will have to make random calls to the dealership to see if any update is/are available?

In the past, i've relied on bimmernav.com, Navteq, x5world.com (now xoutpost.com) and my friend from the local dealership parts department to get updates on NAV OS upgrades and map updates. For NAV OS upgrade, i've always bought the OS software online (i'll get the part number from my friend) and do the upgrade myself. I like the DIY plus its less expensive compare to what the dealership charges for parts and labor just for the NAV OS software upgrade. In addition, i was able to customize the NAV OS software to include additional pictures, fonts, and voices. I'm anxious to see if the new iDrive HDD based navigation system will continue to support the aforementioned customization.

I'm very happy with the HDD Navigation system because i no longer have to spend $199 twice a year buying navigation DVDs from Navteq but i'm curious as to how much the dealerships will charge for new map updates and i also wonder if Navteq will comeup with a new DVD map update(s) for the new iDrive HDD navigation system that can be downloaded onto the nav system (without requiring the DVD to reside in the system like the old MKIV nav unit) and is less expensive to compete with BMW dealerships.

I read somewhere that the new map updates will be available in DVD format that the dealership will load/install onto the iDrive HDD navigation system. Can customers purchase the DVD and do the install/loading themselves or this is strictly a dealership thing?

hayden 08-18-2009 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asaseaban (Post 4442735)
So i assume customers will receive some kind of email or notification from their dealership whenever new updates for the Navigation system OS and/or maps are available or customers will have to make random calls to the dealership to see if any update is/are available?

In the past, i've relied on bimmernav.com, Navteq, x5world.com (now xoutpost.com) and my friend from the local dealership parts department to get updates on NAV OS upgrades and map updates. For NAV OS upgrade, i've always bought the OS software online (i'll get the part number from my friend) and do the upgrade myself. I like the DIY plus its less expensive compare to what the dealership charges for parts and labor just for the NAV OS software upgrade. In addition, i was able to customize the NAV OS software to include additional pictures, fonts, and voices. I'm anxious to see if the new iDrive HDD based navigation system will continue to support the aforementioned customization.

I'm very happy with the HDD Navigation system because i no longer have to spend $199 twice a year buying navigation DVDs from Navteq but i'm curious as to how much the dealerships will charge for new map updates and i also wonder if Navteq will comeup with a new DVD map update(s) for the new iDrive HDD navigation system that can be downloaded onto the nav system (without requiring the DVD to reside in the system like the old MKIV nav unit) and is less expensive to compete with BMW dealerships.

I read somewhere that the new map updates will be available in DVD format that the dealership will load/install onto the iDrive HDD navigation system. Can customers purchase the DVD and do the install/loading themselves or this is strictly a dealership thing?

All good questions. I wonder the same as well. One thing I am almost certain of... we will still be required to pay for yearly updates to the map data.

asaseaban 08-18-2009 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayden (Post 4442930)
All good questions. I wonder the same as well. One thing I am almost certain of... we will still be required to pay for yearly updates to the map data.

Hopefully BMW will have the technology soon to support/allow iDrive navigation OS upgrade and map updates Over the Air (OTA) or via satellite (remotely) for free. Similar to the Palm Pre that allows OTA software updates whereby the Apple iPhone requires iTunes download/install and plugin iPhone. Less trips to the dealership/service is much prefered, IMHO.

hayden 08-18-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asaseaban (Post 4443002)
Hopefully BMW will have the technology soon to support/allow iDrive navigation OS upgrade and map updates Over the Air (OTA) or via satellite (remotely) for free. Similar to the Palm Pre that allows OTA software updates whereby the Apple iPhone requires iTunes download/install and plugin iPhone. Less trips to the dealership/service is much prefered, IMHO.

Actually the iPhone has allowed OTA purchase and updates of applications for some time... but not a full OS update (approx. 200 MB download)

I can't imagine we are anywhere close to an OTA nav update, since the map updates are several GB. (I think its an entire reload, vs. only the "updates")

pepsicola47 08-20-2009 03:49 AM

I don't think you can buy the map disc.
Dealership will be given a master map to load it into customer cars.
And more than likely this map will leak out and you will probably be able to find it somewhere else.

asaseaban 08-20-2009 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepsicola47 (Post 4448694)
I don't think you can buy the map disc.
Dealership will be given a master map to load it into customer cars.
And more than likely this map will leak out and you will probably be able to find it somewhere else.

X5world.com and bimmernav.com usually post .iso or .img files of NAV OS upgrade and map updates on their site that registered users can download for DIY customization and installation. Also people with friends in the service and parts department have manage to get copy of the master CD/DVD.

asaseaban 08-20-2009 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hayden (Post 4443290)
Actually the iPhone has allowed OTA purchase and updates of applications for some time... but not a full OS update (approx. 200 MB download)

I can't imagine we are anywhere close to an OTA nav update, since the map updates are several GB. (I think its an entire reload, vs. only the "updates")

Palm has managed to keep the WebOS updates and upgrade below 100MB. An 85MB WebOS upgrade normally takes about 5-10 minutes to download and install. We'll see if the OTA updates/upgrades continue should the updates/upgrade file exceed 100MB...like the iPhone.

BMW is not that far away from OTA map updates. They already have the capability to upload car service information due/status to a dealership to see what service is/are needed. In addition, they have BMW Assist Safety & Convenience Services , and BMW Connected Drive. These are all services that are able to send and receive data wirelessly or OTA. BMW can improve and expand services like BMW Connected Drive (which is internet access in your car) to support OTA map updates. Furthermore, instead of doing a full blown new map upgrade, they can do an update which normally requires adding new images, database, etc to NAV System.

zfn8 03-05-2013 03:01 PM

Updating your navigation system
 
Greetings,
For those of you who are considering updating your navigation system you will need the code that unlocks your system, I was looking through all the paperwork they bury you with when you purchase the car and found that that particular code was provided to me by the dealer included with the purchasing documents :so check your paperwork first before attempting to purchase it from the dealer. Thanks.

bimwad 03-06-2013 07:20 PM

I have done the map update on my 2010 X5 this past week for considerably less than the dealer price. I am planning on picking up a 2009 750i this weekend. If I go through with the deal, I will try to update the map myself and will report back if it is successful. My cost was under $55 for the 2013 NA Premium update. It did require a lot of time to download the update but the process of loading it into the car takes about an hour. More details by Tuesday next week....

faisal_sid 03-10-2013 05:17 AM

NAV Update
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bimwad (Post 7425076)
I have done the map update on my 2010 X5 this past week for considerably less than the dealer price. I am planning on picking up a 2009 750i this weekend. If I go through with the deal, I will try to update the map myself and will report back if it is successful. My cost was under $55 for the 2013 NA Premium update. It did require a lot of time to download the update but the process of loading it into the car takes about an hour. More details by Tuesday next week....

Let us know how it went through, would love to get it done the DIY way. any such method available for the software update?

bimwad 03-11-2013 03:48 PM

Having problems with my 2009 750i (build date 06/2009). It is not recognizing the thumb drive even though the X5 picked it up right away. I tried this a few times. I guess I will have to somehow burn DVD's to make this work. Will keep trying..

coco135 03-11-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimwad (Post 7435832)
Having problems with my 2009 750i (build date 06/2009). It is not recognizing the thumb drive even though the X5 picked it up right away. I tried this a few times. I guess I will have to somehow burn DVD's to make this work. Will keep trying..

General rule is that only cars built after 9/2009 can do it via usb. mine is 6/2009 and it worked as well as other members with build early as 4/2009 all about luck i guess.

Bimmer750LI 03-11-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimwad (Post 7435832)
Having problems with my 2009 750i (build date 06/2009). It is not recognizing the thumb drive even though the X5 picked it up right away. I tried this a few times. I guess I will have to somehow burn DVD's to make this work. Will keep trying..

I have a 3/09 build and had no problem with the upgrade. Make sure you're using the usb connection in the glove box not the center console.

bimwad 03-12-2013 02:18 PM

Hi guys, I am using the glovebox port but it is just on working... I will plug the stick into the X5 to make sure it is still functioning in the car..

Peoplez96 03-21-2013 02:22 PM

Nav Update
 
Does anyone have the DVD disc to do the updates. I have 6/2009 build but the USB drive in glove box will not recognize the drive. I contacted my local dealer to buy the discs as I already have a code. The dealer wants $185 just for the DVDs.

rajeek 03-21-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoplez96 (Post 7461275)
Does anyone have the DVD disc to do the updates. I have 6/2009 build but the USB drive in glove box will not recognize the drive. I contacted my local dealer to buy the discs as I already have a code. The dealer wants $185 just for the DVDs.

Try www.getbmwparts.com


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms