Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1982 - 1993) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Brace (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393173)

E30 F34R 08-24-2009 05:40 PM

Brace

Would this work, never seen it before. Since my E30 is a 4dr I thought it would make it better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STRUT...Q5fAccessories

bimmerboy08 08-24-2009 07:12 PM

This product sketches me out for several reasons:

1. It's supposed to fit all these models "E30 E36 E38 E39 E46 E49 E90"
2. It's adjustable.
3. Their company banner features a Mitsubishi mirage with lambo doors and 20"s (hence mirage power)
4. Their slogan is "driving like without the speed limited"

If I were you I would just get strut tower braces.

_Ethrty-Andy_ 08-24-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bimmerboy08 (Post 4460382)
This product sketches me out for several reasons:

1. It's supposed to fit all these models "E30 E36 E38 E39 E46 E49 E90"
2. It's adjustable.
3. Their company banner features a Mitsubishi mirage with lambo doors and 20"s (hence mirage power)
4. Their slogan is "driving like without the speed limited"

If I were you I would just get strut tower braces.

agreed. it has rice written all over it. if it serves a real purpose it wouldnt be all chrome and shiny. and it would be under the car. and it would be closer to where the struts actually are.

E30 F34R 08-25-2009 08:40 AM

The center adjusts to the size, I thought since my car is a 4dr it would suit this item best because of the back doors. And the color is blue, pictured shiny rice for some reason.

It does not matter on the car, all of them have a center hump(even if fwd), so I think it would be dandy. It can be sanded and repainted, I just thought for the price it would function well.

Anyways I found a pipe bender...maybe I can get it cheap so I don't have to pay to get my exhaust bent up. I could also fab this wicked easy, without the adjuster it might be stronger:dunno:

lordofthewaters 08-25-2009 10:02 AM

Waste of your money. But, it's your money.

markseven 08-25-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordofthewaters (Post 4461780)
Waste of your money. But, it's your money.

+1
  1. Bracing between the B pillars (seat belt anchor area) will serve you better, and is more widely accepted by the ricers (don't know if this is a good or bad thing).
  2. The adjustable middle section effectively negates any stiffness gained by installing the bar

E30 F34R 08-25-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markseven (Post 4461911)
+1
  1. Bracing between the B pillars (seat belt anchor area) will serve you better, and is more widely accepted by the ricers (don't know if this is a good or bad thing).
  2. The adjustable middle section effectively negates any stiffness gained by installing the bar

1. Ricers type cars do mainly drifting, so therefore it will be a good idea for my track weekend in two weeks.

2. I am going to make my own out of spare tubing that I have laying around. That will be custom fit and MUCH stronger. I shall make it and give a nice amount of info on how it handles.

markseven 08-25-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E30 F34R (Post 4462401)
1. Ricers type cars do mainly drifting, so therefore it will be a good idea for my track weekend in two weeks.

2. I am going to make my own out of spare tubing that I have laying around. That will be custom fit and MUCH stronger. I shall make it and give a nice amount of info on how it handles.

Not to labor the topic, but how does torsional stiffness effect drifting? The use convertibles, yeah? Also, why was that location for the brace chosen? Any data to support the choice of location?

E30 F34R 08-25-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markseven (Post 4462499)
Not to labor the topic, but how does torsional stiffness effect drifting? The use convertibles, yeah? Also, why was that location for the brace chosen? Any data to support the choice of location?

I am not drifting for one, and second I am just looking to make it really stiff.

bimmerboy08 08-25-2009 08:37 PM

just get it then man its like only $40 bucks and you can tell us if it works.

kamotors 08-28-2009 10:30 AM

seems like a waste, I have front and rear strut bars and they don't make any noticeable difference they just look kinda cool. If you don' track the car you would never notice a difference even if it did work. All its doing is adding more weight to your car, If you want better handling just do a bunch of weight reduction, springs/shocks and call it a day, you can pretty easily remove over 200lbs.

E30 F34R 08-28-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamotors (Post 4471397)
seems like a waste, I have front and rear strut bars and they don't make any noticeable difference they just look kinda cool. If you don' track the car you would never notice a difference even if it did work. All its doing is adding more weight to your car, If you want better handling just do a bunch of weight reduction, springs/shocks and call it a day, you can pretty easily remove over 200lbs.

I go to the track every two weeks. I am going to join SCCA, so the suspension is better than HP at the moment. They are tiny mid speed turns. If I reduce too much I get in a higher class, meaning I don't have the BHP to compete with them yet. WRX STI are too fast right now for me to be in a SM class (stock mod) I am not in a ST (stock touring) class.

So to your last statement I am making a track sl*t, and I am the :bigpimp: