Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Active cruise control & radar detector (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395781)

graeboy 09-03-2009 11:22 PM

Active cruise control & radar detector
 
I am ordering a 2010 750li xdrive and was wondering about anybody's experience with active cruise control and radar detectors. In my current car MB S600 the distronic cruise control drives detectors nuts. I was hoping to get a custom mounted Valentine one and front and rear laser jammers. If it does set off the radar detector is it only when your using active cruise control? Or all the time like the Mercedes. Any help would be appreciated

jimbo7525 09-04-2009 01:17 PM

false radar
 
I have 535xi with active cruise control. It sets of teh Valentine radar detector almost constantly. Seems to bounce off cars or object in front of me setting off detector. Makes the V1 useless.

graeboy 09-04-2009 01:39 PM

even with cruise control off

geeek204 09-07-2009 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graeboy (Post 4490911)
I am ordering a 2010 750li xdrive and was wondering about anybody's experience with active cruise control and radar detectors. In my current car MB S600 the distronic cruise control drives detectors nuts. I was hoping to get a custom mounted Valentine one and front and rear laser jammers. If it does set off the radar detector is it only when your using active cruise control? Or all the time like the Mercedes. Any help would be appreciated

If I recall correctly the MB's have a safety system that constantly monitors using the radar even when the cruise control is not in use. Something like adaptive braking that uses it. The 7 shouldn't have this problem. Kind of seems like MB wasn't really thinking of those with radar detectors (although there aren't a whole lot of us).

PowerTech 09-09-2009 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeek204 (Post 4499485)
If I recall correctly the MB's have a safety system that constantly monitors using the radar even when the cruise control is not in use. Something like adaptive braking that uses it. The 7 shouldn't have this problem. Kind of seems like MB wasn't really thinking of those with radar detectors (although there aren't a whole lot of us).

Isn't the new 7 that equipped with stop and go cruise control has a feature that warns the driver of possible collision even when the cruise is off? I think this means the radar stays active at all times? I could be wrong tho, just my thoughts.. :)

geeek204 09-30-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerTech (Post 4505153)
Isn't the new 7 that equipped with stop and go cruise control has a feature that warns the driver of possible collision even when the cruise is off? I think this means the radar stays active at all times? I could be wrong tho, just my thoughts.. :)

Yes, that is true but this feature is optional and can be turned off when the radar detector is being used.

BMR2009 09-30-2009 06:38 PM

Wow. I didn't know that. I didn't get the active cruise control and love my valentine one. Sorry to hear that.

jago 12-29-2009 07:02 AM

while not a 7 owner, i wanted to comment because twice this last week
the normally well-behaved V1 i use in my rides went bananas and sure enough
it was triggered by a new 7, setting off not one but two bogeys, which made all sorts
of outbursts until they disappeared immediately after i passed the big bimmer.
mightve even been the same car on different nights.
ive had the V1 for years now, and never experienced such obvious falses until i ran into
the new 7. thank you bmw for more electronic irritations.

rsingh111 12-30-2009 08:56 PM

A little off the thread. Where r u folks mounting the V1 on an 09/10 750

Leslierc 01-01-2010 06:07 AM

How reliable or useful are radar detectors in these days of speed cameras and unmarked police cars? I rarely see traditional "speed traps" anymore; rather, I see more police driving unmarked SUVs, Mustangs, and Dodge Chargers.

Just wondering.

geeek204 01-04-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslierc (Post 4805143)
How reliable or useful are radar detectors in these days of speed cameras and unmarked police cars? I rarely see traditional "speed traps" anymore; rather, I see more police driving unmarked SUVs, Mustangs, and Dodge Chargers.

Just wondering.

I still find mine very useful. Although most, if not all, of the speedtraps now use laser. However, on long trips the detector can help you avoid unmarked cars using radar or police on the other side of the road measuring your speed and allow you to slow before they can get a reading.

Now if I could just get around to putting a laser jammer in the 7 all would be great!

Seven11 01-08-2010 09:31 PM

my e65 with active cruise control did not set off V1 at all and the radar detector worked great

no problems with it on or off

AzNMpower32 01-15-2010 03:05 PM

Trust me, the worst offenders of "false alarms" are any high-end Nissan/Infiniti or Toyota/Lexus vehicle which seems to have the Laser Cruise Control active possibly even when the driver hasn't turned it on. 99% of the time my V1 signals a Laser warning, it's one of the above vehicles.

Those of y'all living in urban areas might have to deal with more laser traps, which do render radar detectors pretty much useless. However those of us in rural areas still have mostly radar speed traps. This certainly was the case in western MD and NC. VA uses almost solely radar as well, which is probably why detectors are illegal.

Ucla95 02-15-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo7525 (Post 4492243)
I have 535xi with active cruise control. It sets of teh Valentine radar detector almost constantly. Seems to bounce off cars or object in front of me setting off detector. Makes the V1 useless.

Funny, this doesn't happen at all in my 535xi with active cruise. My V1 works perfectly.

raddray 07-02-2010 09:40 AM

I have a 2008 535xit with active cruise and can not use my v1. Even if i shut the car is off, when i am in my 911, the v1 picks up a signal from the 535 until the car goes to "sleep". :dunno::mad::tsk::bawling:

ruey220 07-02-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeek204 (Post 4499485)
If I recall correctly the MB's have a safety system that constantly monitors using the radar even when the cruise control is not in use. Something like adaptive braking that uses it. The 7 shouldn't have this problem. Kind of seems like MB wasn't really thinking of those with radar detectors (although there aren't a whole lot of us).

yeah i know that system you're talking about i think it's a pre collission warning system. i had that when driving the SL55 before recklessly and i thought i was breaking the car when i gassed it behind someone to overtake. it keeps beeping when you come close to the threshold.

kippk 07-18-2010 04:26 PM

Due to false laser alarms probably being set off by the myriad of new laser options on vehicles, I decided to turn off laser detection option on my Escort SOLO2.... problem solved. It is battery powered (rechargeable NiMh)and mounted inconspicuously under the rearview. Does the job well on highway and saves me a lot. Unless your using acitve jamming, laser detectors are better described as ticket detectors.

E46_Ci 08-09-2012 10:30 AM

Old thread, I know... I was driving home last night on the interstate and approached a brand new 7 and my radar detector (Escort Solo S2) started going off... I back off a bit from 70mph, but was still going fast enough to pass the 7, once past my detector went silent... then it dawned on me that the radar built into the car for cruise and other safety items had been the culprit. Interesting.

kippk, I too have turned off my Laser detection on my S2... it would constantly give false alarms, even from some LED tail lights (Cadillacs mainly).

filmoreslim 08-09-2012 11:58 AM

I believe the new escort/passport detector remembers the radar features on your car and ignores them. In CA, the CHP uses Ka band radar on its moving vehicles which helps. Someone mentioned laser detector being a ticket detector...if you are the only car on an open road then this is true, however, the detector works by seeing the laser bounce off other cars and thus if there is traffic ahead of you, you may have a chance to slow down in time.

Anyone have success with one of these laser "shifter" (jammer) systems?

wjhughes420384 08-09-2012 05:08 PM

you are forgeting about the blind spot detection system! it uses radar also. when my son or wife follows me their V1 goes nuts. When i go past large objects close to the road it will bounce back and set off my V1 also.

oneofew 08-09-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filmoreslim (Post 7000429)
I believe the new escort/passport detector remembers the radar features on your car and ignores them. In CA, the CHP uses Ka band radar on its moving vehicles which helps. Someone mentioned laser detector being a ticket detector...if you are the only car on an open road then this is true, however, the detector works by seeing the laser bounce off other cars and thus if there is traffic ahead of you, you may have a chance to slow down in time.

Anyone have success with one of these laser "shifter" (jammer) systems?

I use a Escort 9500 with laser diffusers, as I start up my car distronic, park distance control will trigger the K band, but after a few minutes, escort learns and the particular K band won't sound the alarm. As you mentioned CHP or LAPD here in So Cal use KA and Laser, KA band is for real. In real world, if the law enforcement is pointing the radar on someone else Escort will pick up and you have a chance to slow down, however on open highway law enforcement may sit with the radar off, as they get a visual on you they will turn it on, and you have no chance.

As for Laser it is car specific, if you are the target, without laser diffusers again you have no chance. If you are hit, the detector will sound off the alarm, but it's too late. BTW laser diffusers are not legal, however there are ways to install the diffusers so one can turn them off with a push of a button, suppose you get hit, and the diffusers do the work, initially laser gun will get a false reading, you will have a few seconds before he aims at you agin, by that time you better slow down as much as possible and turn off the diffusers. Second time around he will read you speed. If you are hauling, it's the difference between getting a serious ticket or court appearance or simply getting away with a speeding ticket.

Hope this helps.

wjhughes420384 08-09-2012 07:15 PM

the blinder laser jammers are discreet and they only jam for 7 seconds then shut off themselves

nanotech1 08-25-2012 08:05 PM

Escort 8500 works great
 
Just tested my 8500 on a 300 mile ride. No false alarms, and the reception on K and Ka was excellent on the 3-4 highway patrol I saw. My E66 windshield never allowed the same reception of signal. When I got in stop and go traffic or up to my garage door , it would pick up the K band given off by the active cruise, but was a non-issue in moving traffic.:thumbup:

ChrisF01 08-25-2012 08:13 PM

My Chrysler 300SRT8 has Radar Adaptive CC and rear blind spot detectors, I've noticed sometimes cars will approach me very quickly - to just slow and match my speed then slowly check me out, then to speed along. Must be dinging their Radar detectors.

filmoreslim 08-26-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneofew (Post 7001292)
I use a Escort 9500 with laser diffusers, as I start up my car distronic, park distance control will trigger the K band, but after a few minutes, escort learns and the particular K band won't sound the alarm. As you mentioned CHP or LAPD here in So Cal use KA and Laser, KA band is for real. In real world, if the law enforcement is pointing the radar on someone else Escort will pick up and you have a chance to slow down, however on open highway law enforcement may sit with the radar off, as they get a visual on you they will turn it on, and you have no chance.

In my experience, for what it is worth, CHP on an open road like I-5 in the central valley (where you actually could drive super fast) both travel and sit in a speed trap with their Ka band radar on. There are so many speeders, they don't need to attempt to fool the people using radar detectors.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms