Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   High Pitched Whistle When Turning Wheels. (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396483)

iCreateReefs 09-07-2009 10:47 AM

High Pitched Whistle When Turning Wheels.

I recently purchased a 2006 BMW X3 and I noticed that when I turn the wheels in either direction I hear a high pitched whistle during the turning. I took the vehicle into the dealers in White Plains, New York and was told by the mechanic that that's a perfectly normal sound. This is my first BMW but for $35,000.00 I would expect that a luxury vehicle would turn as quietely as a $12,000.00 Honda Civic. I am willing to take it to another dealership. Has anyone experienced something similar? Thank yu for the assistance in advance.

noego 09-07-2009 11:11 AM

i have a '06 and it doesn't make any sound at all when turning the wheels...neither should yours. you paid a lot of money for a used BMW and you deserve a better and more forthcoming (honest) answer than the answer you received. ask the BMW dealer in White Plains if it is normal for a BMW service technician to be tone deaf. or, more to the point, ask them to have a tech who knows what a power steering pump is and how to service it take a look at your car and fix it.

iCreateReefs 09-07-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noego (Post 4497975)
i have a '06 and it doesn't make any sound at all when turning the wheels...neither should yours. you paid a lot of money for a used BMW and you deserve a better and more forthcoming (honest) answer than the answer you received. ask the BMW dealer in White Plains if it is normal for a BMW service technician to be tone deaf. or, more to the point, ask them to have a tech who knows what a power steering pump is and how to service it take a look at your car and fix it.

Thank you for the response. I'm definitely going to take the care back in but I'm going to take it to the Orange County BMW from where I purchase the vehicle from. I definitely was leaning toward that fact that the sound wasn't normal but this is my first BMW and there are alot of things that were new to me.

Supercourse 09-07-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iCreateReefs (Post 4497934)
I recently purchased a 2006 BMW X3 and I noticed that when I turn the wheels in either direction I hear a high pitched whistle during the turning.

If it whistles routinely with any amount of turning - definitely not normal.

If it whistles or makes any similar noise occasionally on full lock - might be normal.

The selling dealer should start by checking the level and condition of the power steering fluid.

KruelHouse 09-07-2009 11:46 AM

I have an '04, and I get the same noise ONLY AT FULL LOCK. If I relieve the wheel of any pressure, it goes away. It seemed normal to me as my volvo s60, 350z, and Acura TL all made a similar noise in that situation when I had them.

new2u 09-07-2009 05:50 PM

Same here. I have 06 and it makes a noise only at full lock in either direction.
I'm not worried about it as my previous cars had same noise before.

If it's making the noise while turning the wheel, you defnitely should check that out.

eXhilarat3d 09-07-2009 06:14 PM

Just an FYI, avoid turning your wheels are full lock. Turning your wheels completely creates an extreme amount of pressure. Of course it's okay on rare occaisions when parking for a few seconds.

iCreateReefs 09-07-2009 08:38 PM

The Whistling actually starts the minute I begin turning the wheels and not only at full lock. I'm going to schedule an appointment again with another BMW Dealership and have them take a look. Thank you all for the information.

minicrazy592 09-07-2009 10:02 PM

Mine has always made a mechanical sound while turning. I wouldn't exactly call it a high pitched, but there it defiantly a noise. So maybe it's normal? :dunno:

X3-terrestrial 09-08-2009 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minicrazy592 (Post 4499421)
Mine has always made a mechanical sound while turning. I wouldn't exactly call it a high pitched, but there it defiantly a noise. So maybe it's normal? :dunno:

Mine too. Dealer also said it was normal. Is not loud enough to considered another visit.

X3 Skier 09-08-2009 08:29 AM

I can hear the pump on my 05 when at Full Lock and just ease off then. Nothing during any other position.

Cheers

6181 09-08-2009 09:27 AM

Steering wheel noise

My 04 made that noise when i would turn the wheel just a little each way .
The dealer tried lube on the hub that did not work. So they order a steering rack and will install it on monday . They said that should solve the problem. I have had this noise for 2 years and being near the end of my warranty i decided to have it fixed for good.

LvdB 09-08-2009 10:45 AM

Agree. The noise should only be noticeable at full lock. Normal pump noise shouldn't be noticeable from within the vehicle. With my limited mechanical experience I would guess a slowly failing pump or maybe even power steering fluid...?

jdeday 11-07-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6181 (Post 4500258)
My 04 made that noise when i would turn the wheel just a little each way .
The dealer tried lube on the hub that did not work. So they order a steering rack and will install it on monday . They said that should solve the problem. I have had this noise for 2 years and being near the end of my warranty i decided to have it fixed for good.

I also have had the noice in my power steering... did this repair solve the problem?

Jeff