Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Roof Box/Storage/Cargo box for X3?? (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397072)

krzy6cpina 09-09-2009 05:46 PM

Roof Box/Storage/Cargo box for X3??

I'm going on a trip and i need extra cargo space. I drive a 2006 x3. I don't know anything about rack systems or how the roof box all attaches.:dunno:
I'm thinking of buying a roof box/ cargo box for the top of my sav. I already have the bmw base support system (roof rack). Does anyone know what box/cargo box that is compatible to the bmw roof rack?? (other than the bmw roof boxes) I don't want to buy another rack if i dont have too.
If anyone has any info on this subject please let me know.

Thanks!

bluskye 09-09-2009 08:52 PM

The BMW support system is simply a Thule AERO cross bar kit, with fancy X3 specific base. What's funny is, its a fraction of the cost of a Thule branded kit. Any thule/yakima box will work fine. I hear the Thule boxes have better "claws" to grip the base support.

I purchased the Thule Ranger bag, its got a solid base like a box, but the enclosure is a bag @ 11 cu ft. We are so happy with it, we plan on upgrading to a 16 cu ft Thule box later for future road trips.

dharmadoggie 09-09-2009 10:33 PM

I found a limited selection to get a box that will clear the rear deck spoiler when it's open. That is, if you want a box long enough to carry skis. Wound up with Yakima Pro Series 12. But I don't see this style currently on REI.com. I bought it from a local REI store, with the assurance that if it didn't fit (clear the rear hatch) I could bring it back. I mount it to standard Thule cross bars (non aero). Mounts solid. I don't know that the Yakima box mounts are any more or less secure than Thule. I do know that I have driven into strong headwinds and that it hangs on at effective wind speeds approaching 100 mph.

krzy6cpina 09-11-2009 09:48 AM

Thanks guys for the info!!!:D

pl869 09-14-2009 10:54 AM

I have the Thule Ascent 1100...though mostly used for skis it has come in handy a few times. The nice part about it is that it has a low profile so I can get in the garage with the box on! Low profile does mean...I can't get a cooler in there...but to pull straight into the garage after skiing...it's worth it!:)

X3 Skier 09-14-2009 11:55 AM

I used to have a Thule Box that mounted on my home made adapters to the BMW Rails but since switching from 207 skis to 175 a few years ago, I can carry it all inside anyway.

Cheers

enamoured 09-22-2009 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluskye (Post 4505351)
The BMW support system is simply a Thule AERO cross bar kit, with fancy X3 specific base. What's funny is, its a fraction of the cost of a Thule branded kit. Any thule/yakima box will work fine. I hear the Thule boxes have better "claws" to grip the base support.

I purchased the Thule Ranger bag, its got a solid base like a box, but the enclosure is a bag @ 11 cu ft. We are so happy with it, we plan on upgrading to a 16 cu ft Thule box later for future road trips.

Bluskye, I am looking at Ranger, do you have any experience with it in rain/snow?

bluskye 09-22-2009 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enamoured (Post 4539403)
Bluskye, I am looking at Ranger, do you have any experience with it in rain/snow?

Yes, used it this summer on a road trip from Chicago->Florida. Went through rain. Held up fine with no leaks. I have not use it in snow, but I imagine it would be fine.

My only complaint is if the bag is empty, you have to remember to tighten the straps down, or else it will flap in the wind. Embarrassing, but nothing critical.

enamoured 09-22-2009 11:36 AM

Thanks for the info. :)

ubermax 09-22-2009 04:40 PM

never bought a box but I'd go with the Thule Ranger - not aero but it has good capacity & like the soft sides !!

bluskye 09-23-2009 09:29 AM

Keep in mind, the Ranger bag is only 12 cu-ft. So in reality, thats about 3 to 4 med duffel bags worth of storage. A good amount, but nothing like the boxes that start can go to 16/18 cu-ft of storage.

enamoured 09-26-2009 07:00 PM

For those in Canada or close to border, Canadian Tire has a sale on Thule Ranger, C$225.

enzomorales 11-06-2009 04:00 AM

Purchased a Thule Ranger 90 a few months ago and it's worked well for me...

SpartanGA 11-06-2009 05:19 AM

a bit of confusion here. What are the standard roof rack rails on the X3 called? Was their an option for different rack and/or rails?

EDIT: nevermind. I see you need the crossbars. DUH

thx