Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   What Mounts and Length rail for Roof Rack (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398672)

tmwoodall 09-16-2009 06:16 PM

What Mounts and Length rail for Roof Rack

I have been doing lots of reading and having trouble figuring out exactly what mounts to use. I want to start with the roof rack so that I can carry the bikes, and when needed throw extra cargo up there in a box, bag, or basket.

Eventually I will move to the Hitch so I have the option for both.

The Question for now is what feet/towers or "base" are you using to mount to your bars. I don't care about brand I like Yakima but have no allegiances. My last rack I just made with some scrap metal and a bed mount from a truck.

b-y 09-16-2009 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm going to answer this assuming you have an X3, but from the question I have doubts...
The answer is simple: no feet! The "utility" or crossbars connect to the rails that are standard on on North American X3s. This is true for the BMW setup, Thule, Yakima, etc. For Thule & Yakima you buy a pair of cross bars and the adapters that bolt them onto the existing rails. (See pix 1) Then you get the ski or bike or whatever accessories you want. The crossbars come with the adapters already on them for the BMW set-up. (Pix 2)

Although Pix 1 is from Thule, Yakima has two similar setups. Look at their "Railgrab" and "Lowrider". Either use 58" crossbars.

All of the above applies to the rooftop set-up. You may also have rails inside the cargo area and there is an optional trailer hitch.

Let me know if you want additional links to photos of any of this.

ubermax 09-17-2009 04:22 AM

poke around the Thule website - I've got the 45050 setup- 4 feet with 50" load bars attached to the X3's up top side rails - think you can get 58" bars as well - the "Ranger" box for up top storage looks pretty good - good luck !

al_macaroni 09-17-2009 05:15 AM

I'm using a Yakima system. It consists of 4 LowRider towers and 2 58" cross bars. I'm also using the Yakima WindJammer attachement to reduce wind noise.

You can use the Yakima website to put together the proper system for your SAV.

Good Luck

wilreyca 09-17-2009 06:05 AM

I just got my base support roof rack system. I bought the BMW one because the retail value ($219) was similiar to the Thule and others, and the dealer gave me BMWCCA discount so I ended up paying only $175 plus tax. I like the BMW one because it design specifically for their roof rack, it doesn't stick too much out of the rails and it comes with the locks already so I didn't have an additional cost. Also, it suppose to be compatible with the Thule attachements, which is great because I already have the ski one.

tmwoodall 09-17-2009 06:31 AM

Thanks guys, after I did some more looking around, it seems as if it is between the railgrab and the crossroad.

Then I just flat out wasn't sure what length bar to get (picking up the X3 Tonight). I think I will head down to rackoutfitters and let them steer me towards a brand. The bike mount is already figured out: Rocky Mount.

Thanks!

pl869 09-17-2009 06:42 AM

Check out the other posts on this forum....Thule Roof Rack Whistle, Roofbox/cargo/ for X3...and there's some more insite there. My '06 X3 I went with the Thule 450R Rapid Crossroad Railing Foot Pack, Thule RB53 Rapid Aero Aluminum Load Bars, Thule 871XT Fairing (38 inch). Best advice I have for price..****** around...after going to Thule or the Yakima website to configuere what you need. The one and only reason I went with Thule foot pack (over BMW specific) was that it'll work on my girlfriends SUV if we want to leave the BMW in the garage:-)

ubermax 09-17-2009 09:55 AM

wind noise - haven't been bothered by it - but if you decide to go the fairing route to diminish the noise I'd recommend that you are assured of having its' feet sit on the front of the roof and not the sunroof - unless you always keep it closed - this may require some experimenting with the location of the front load bar - I've always liked Thule but the BMW package noted in one of the other replies sounds pretty good !!

dharmadoggie 09-17-2009 02:12 PM

No whistle from my non-aero Thule setups. One has #415 feet (old style) and the other has #450 feet (new style). Thule kayak carrier called Hullavator does not whistle, but with kayak on it I get whistling.