Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   2009 750i vibration problem (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399886)

bcool 09-22-2009 12:44 AM

2009 750i vibration problem

Hello guys, Just got my new 750i few weeks ago and have a concern. This is my 4th 7 series so I am quite familiar with these cars. I got about 600miles on it and noticed the car rides a bit rough. In fact it feels like the car has slight vibration. At first I thought it was the rough roads or I was just imagining it. But the courtesy 5 series I got rides way smoother. Obviously this makes no sense. Reason I am asking you fellows is b/c often I find the service dept. at BMW kinda brush me off and say something like: "we compared with similiar 7 series and found nothing out of normal" , this of course drives me nutso.
Please do respond if you would be so kind.
Thank you!

BMR2009 09-23-2009 05:12 AM

It is highly likely a tire or wheel issue if it occurs while the car is in motion. Check the tires for damage or deformations. Then take it to the dealer and ask them to check them if you find nothing.

asaseaban 09-23-2009 05:23 AM

I recommed you have the dealership balance the tires and do alignment. You can also request for one of the technicians to ride with you or the tech drives the car with you in it to verify the vibration issue.

bcool 09-25-2009 11:29 AM

Thank you guys for your advice. Blessings!!

briansbimmer 09-27-2009 04:33 AM

I have posted about this before. Notice it on hard acceleration from a stop. May also want to check tire pressure. Also, I am not a fan of these run flat tires and they do drive differently to me. This is my first time with run flat tires. Also...if the factory sport tires that came on my 545i are any indication...do not expect the tires with sport package to last for more than 12K to 15K miles...and that may be pushing it for aggressive drivers.

LovinM6 09-27-2009 09:56 AM

What is the brand of tires coming on the the new 750's?

bcool 09-27-2009 11:17 AM

I if remember correctly, I think they are Pirelli 245/45/19 in front and 275/40/19 in the rear summer high performance tires.

LovinM6 09-27-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcool (Post 4553434)
I if remember correctly, I think they are Pirelli 245/45/19 in front and 275/40/19 in the rear summer high performance tires.

What about for the Individual 20's? Also Pirelli?

bcool 09-27-2009 11:56 PM

I am pretty sure the 7 series comes with Pirelli's.

CT7er 09-28-2009 09:14 PM

I thought I'd heard Goodyear ROF's for the Individual 20's. Not sure, however.

LovinM6 09-28-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT7er (Post 4557713)
I thought I'd heard Goodyear ROF's for the Individual 20's. Not sure, however.

I don't know anything about these tires. I hope they don't run hard.

CT7er 09-28-2009 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe this photo of a 2009 750Li Individual from the Chicago Auto Show verifies we're talking about Goodyear tires. Sizes 245/40R20 front and 275/35R20 rear. BTW -- The car is in your color (and mine, now on order as of last week). No idea as to a delivery date as yet.

LovinM6 09-28-2009 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT7er (Post 4557759)
I believe this photo of a 2009 750Li Individual from the Chicago Auto Show verifies we're talking about Goodyear tires. Sizes 245/40R20 front and 275/35R20 rear. BTW -- The car is in your color (and mine, now on order as of last week). No idea as to a delivery date as yet.

You can really see some of the tones of Citrin in this picture. How cool.

What are your specs?

CT7er 09-28-2009 09:54 PM

RWD; Citrin Black/Amaro Brown/Walnut Honey Brown; luxury seating; HUD; active roll; integral active steering; camera pkg; convenience pkg; driver assist pkg; premium sound; ceramic controls; sat radio; smart phone

Opted out of active cruise control (never use); night vision (not perfected, I hear); rear entertainment (no kids); rear lux seating/massage (guests in rear frquently don't travel on long distance trips).

I thought about the piano black trim, but decided against it out of concern for fingerprints/smudges. Also, I think the light wood gives a good contrast to the darker leather and lightens up the interior a bit. Just my preference -- based on "sight unseen" order.

Also, I opted out of AWD out of performance concerns vs. 3-4 bad snow days in this part of the NE.

CT7er 09-28-2009 10:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Perhaps I'm posting to the wrong thread, but here are additional photos from Chicago AS showing exterior color Citrin Black.

CT7er 09-28-2009 10:17 PM

On second thought, the photos are from the Paris Auto Show, not Chicago.

LovinM6 09-29-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT7er (Post 4557795)
RWD; Citrin Black/Amaro Brown/Walnut Honey Brown; luxury seating; HUD; active roll; integral active steering; camera pkg; convenience pkg; driver assist pkg; premium sound; ceramic controls; sat radio; smart phone

Opted out of active cruise control (never use); night vision (not perfected, I hear); rear entertainment (no kids); rear lux seating/massage (guests in rear frquently don't travel on long distance trips).

I thought about the piano black trim, but decided against it out of concern for fingerprints/smudges. Also, I think the light wood gives a good contrast to the darker leather and lightens up the interior a bit. Just my preference -- based on "sight unseen" order.

Also, I opted out of AWD out of performance concerns vs. 3-4 bad snow days in this part of the NE.

I haven't seen any of these colors either but something is telling me they are going to be gorgeous. Let's hope!

CT7er 09-29-2009 07:15 AM

I hope so, too. Let us know how it is when it arrives (w/ pics).

LovinM6 09-29-2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT7er (Post 4558338)
I hope so, too. Let us know how it is when it arrives (w/ pics).

There are a few pictures of the Amaro Brown interior on this site but the pictures are so "orange" and I am told there is no orange in the color and it really is a deep rich brown.

My car is scheduled to be produced in the beginning of October which I guess means it will be here around Thanksgiving.

Again...hoping! :)

CT7er 09-29-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovinM6 (Post 4558414)
There are a few pictures of the Amaro Brown interior on this site but the pictures are so "orange" and I am told there is no orange in the color and it really is a deep rich brown.

My car is scheduled to be produced in the beginning of October which I guess means it will be here around Thanksgiving.

I have a swatch of the Amaro Brown leather. It is more of a dark cocoa color than orange/reddish. I think we both will be very happy with it.

bcool 09-29-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LovinM6 (Post 4558414)

Looks awesome. Let's us know once you get. I went the very safe route and got my black metallic saphire with black interior.

bcool 11-05-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMR2009 (Post 4541878)
It is highly likely a tire or wheel issue if it occurs while the car is in motion. Check the tires for damage or deformations. Then take it to the dealer and ask them to check them if you find nothing.

Finally got the service mgr to go for a ride to verify the vibration issue. He does acknowledge and confirms it. Noticed also at idle the car kinda vibrates and perhaps that is the cause? Hmmm. .
Only thing that I was concerned about is when the service mgr says he is not to familiar with the new 7 and needs to compare with other 7's. Even comparing this with a honda, this is NOT acceptable so I get a bit annoyed when they often say there is nothing wrong. Oh well car is going in on tuesday.

asaseaban 11-05-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcool (Post 4658124)
Finally got the service mgr to go for a ride to verify the vibration issue. He does acknowledge and confirms it. Noticed also at idle the car kinda vibrates and perhaps that is the cause? Hmmm. .
Only thing that I was concerned about is when the service mgr says he is not to familiar with the new 7 and needs to compare with other 7's. Even comparing this with a honda, this is NOT acceptable so I get a bit annoyed when they often say there is nothing wrong. Oh well car is going in on tuesday.

You gonna have to get use to hearing "not to familiar with the new 7" becuase that's all i hear everytime i call the dealership service department to enquire about an issue/problem/question. They had to fly in a regional tech who's train on the new 7er to come and comfirm that the US 7er does not have the auto side mirror folding feature/option. Apparently the German's don't trust Americans enough to train BMW techs in the latest technology, diagnostic, and troubleshooting for the new 7er. Hopefully they won't keep your car in the shop for days waiting on the Germans' tech support or some regional tech to come and resolve your vibration issue.

bcool 11-17-2009 02:55 PM

Sent car in last tuesday Nov 10th and just got phone call today(Nov 17th: 8th day!) saying they have to order water cooler(seems they are faulty) for the twin turbos from Germany. They say it will take about 2 weeks for it to arrive. Hmmmmm. Can't they just put it on a plane??
And the Pirelli tech is coming in 2 days to check one of the tires to see if that is causing the vibration issue.
Seems like the rough idle the car has isn't helping. Just seems like the mechanics are NOT very well trained for our new car. This is a bit frustrating b/c I got to be w/out my car for over 3 weeks. It only has 1300miles on it! Errrrrrrr.

asaseaban 11-17-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcool (Post 4691969)
Sent car in last tuesday Nov 10th and just got phone call today(Nov 17th: 8th day!) saying they have to order water cooler(seems they are faulty) for the twin turbos from Germany. They say it will take about 2 weeks for it to arrive. Hmmmmm. Can't they just put it on a plane??
And the Pirelli tech is coming in 2 days to check one of the tires to see if that is causing the vibration issue.
Seems like the rough idle the car has isn't helping. Just seems like the mechanics are NOT very well trained for our new car. This is a bit frustrating b/c I got to be w/out my car for over 3 weeks. It only has 1300miles on it! Errrrrrrr.

Enjoy the loaner b'cos it may take a while to get the water cooler in, get it installed, reprogram, test and make sure everything works. I'll advice you stay on your SA and keep calling atleast every other day. I've hear two different stories ragarding shipping & ETA for parts. One SA told me dearlership gets daily parts delivery from FedEx. Another SA told me parts take time to arrive from Germany because they are shipped via a vessel, have to go thru customs and then pickup by FedEx.