Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Driver Side power window controls - chipped (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400075)

Ndiblasi 09-22-2009 05:21 PM

Driver Side power window controls - chipped

does anyone have a problem with the plastic piece around the window controls chipping?

I have an 07 with light gray interior and the paint is chipped. :( Can this be replaced and where can i find the part? Also, do you think they sell a brushed aluminum part. I think that would look sporty.

minicrazy592 09-22-2009 05:28 PM

The switches themselves or plastic surrounding the switches?

madurodave 09-22-2009 05:31 PM

There is an issue with the black satin coating BMW used on many of its plastic parts. I had my steering wheel trim replaced because of this. It will be covered under warranty. Let your dealer know. Check your other trim carefully too.

Ndiblasi 09-22-2009 06:02 PM

its the plastic piece around the switches and there is slight peeling on the steering wheel as well. I am so glad that you said it is covered. I can't wait to take it to the dealer.

Thanks!!!

new2u 09-22-2009 06:33 PM

Is it peeled significant enough?
I also have peeling that looks like chipping, and my dealer didn't cover it under warranty saying it's normal wear & tear.
They told me that peeling would need to be big enough to be covered by the warranty.

Gotta find a way to make the peeling process speed up before my warranty expires. lol.

surgtech72@yaho 09-22-2009 08:10 PM

Peeling plastic

I have an '06 and I have multiple peeling parts. Both driver and passenger window control areas are bubbled and peeling and the button that opens the dash storage bin peeled off ages ago. I am out of warranty so I am hosed, but I try not to let it bother me too much. I tried to remove all of the black plastic on the dash bin button, and that makes it look better, but there is nothing I can do about the window control housings.

madurodave 09-22-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2u (Post 4541090)
Is it peeled significant enough?
I also have peeling that looks like chipping, and my dealer didn't cover it under warranty saying it's normal wear & tear.
They told me that peeling would need to be big enough to be covered by the warranty.

Gotta find a way to make the peeling process speed up before my warranty expires. lol.

Mine was about a 0.25" square area on both trim pieces. My dealer covered it with no questions.

sunnyyan 09-22-2009 09:24 PM

my cup holder between seats start peeling

new2u 09-22-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madurodave (Post 4541478)
Mine was about a 0.25" square area on both trim pieces. My dealer covered it with no questions.

Hmm, I'll try another dealershop in that case.
It doesn't bother me a lot at this time, but I know these will need to be replaced soon. :rofl:

archrenov8 09-23-2009 03:47 AM

This is a soft rubber coating, which has a very nice feel. VW has been using it since at least 2000 MY, but it does not hold up. I know that in 2007 MY, VW started phasing this out on some models. My '08 X3 is peeling around the steering wheel controls- started within the first year. My former Touareg had the exact same issues.

It is a shame it is so vulnerable.

Ndiblasi 09-23-2009 04:01 AM

yes, my friends passat did the same thing. i an going to see if the dealer can do anything. or if i can find a replacement part.

ducx3 09-23-2009 06:12 PM

Had mine replaced without issue, but the dealer had to order it.

Mystic1 09-23-2009 07:09 PM

When we bought our car off lease, the dealer did a quick repaint of the steering wheel trim and it looked good for about a year. Now it looks worse that it originally did. When I took the car in for other repairs today, I brought it up. The prior dealer did not note the repair as being under warranty, so now that I am only under the CPO warranty, I am screwed. My current dealer said this repair should be a replacement rather than a fix under warranty, but since I am now out of warranty there is nothing they can do.
I did take a look at the '09 X3 they had on the floor, and the steering wheel was the 3 spoke we have on our sport, BUT the trim is now covered by something that resembles the airbag cover and the dash pad texture. Looks like it will hold up much better that the earlier covering. For $119 plus $200 in labor, it's not worth it. I may try to do this myself as it doesn't look too difficult to remove the airbag and trim piece.

bluskye 09-25-2009 03:09 PM

Do it yourself, very easy. Just unplug the battery =).

If you go with th e09 replacement, would you so kindly list the part number and picture of the updated part?

Mystic1 09-25-2009 09:14 PM

No part # yet, but it is the 3-spoke wheel off a 2009 Sport Appearance pkg. It is the same steering wheel as the sport pkg wheel on our 2005. I'll get it as soon as we cash in our BMW reward points from the CC.

Ndiblasi 09-28-2009 03:16 PM

took it in to the dealer on friday and they replaced the plastic piece around the window controls and the stearing wheel. No questions asked. Looks like brand new. :bigpimp:

Also, I just wanted to add for all you haters out there that I have an 07 AT and mine does not have the tranny problem that everyone is scared about. the thing runs great and has all that power. Don't hate the 07 out there, its a great ride!:thumbup:

madurodave 09-28-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ndiblasi (Post 4556643)
took it in to the dealer on friday and they replaced the plastic piece around the window controls and the stearing wheel. No questions asked. Looks like brand new. :bigpimp:

Also, I just wanted to add for all you haters out there that I have an 07 AT and mine does not have the tranny problem that everyone is scared about. the thing runs great and has all that power. Don't hate the 07 out there, its a great ride!:thumbup:

I just wish mine was as smooth as my 530xi!