Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Bimmerfest - BMW Forums (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/index.php)
-   X3 E83 (2004 - 2010) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   X3 performance exhaust (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401455)

Ndiblasi 09-28-2009 04:22 PM

X3 performance exhaust
 
Did a quick search and didn't find anything for aftermarket exhaust. I have an 07 and would like to see if there are any exhaust mods available for this car. i would love to let it breath and hear it grunt when I step on it.

Also, anyone use the K&N Filter? Did you notice a difference is performance, sound, gas milage, etc.?
:dunno:

UncleJ 09-28-2009 04:36 PM

Ndi, I am pretty sure Dinan has an X3 aftermarket exhaust (cat back) and Borla might also. I don't know of anyone that offers the full monte from headers to chrome tip though.

madurodave 09-28-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UncleJ (Post 4556701)
Ndi, I am pretty sure Dinan has an X3 aftermarket exhaust (cat back) and Borla might also. I don't know of anyone that offers the full monte from headers to chrome tip though.

Yeah, check Dinan. From what I heard though there is not a whole lot more power to be had, but you can change the tone.

KruelHouse 09-29-2009 09:04 AM

Remus offers a muffler, and I found a SuperSprint muffler and resonator (new) on eBay. I think that there was also an AC Schnitzer muffler on eBay once as well.

However, It has been postulated on this board that the Remus can is the best bang for the buck.

T1T2GRE 09-29-2009 10:59 AM

Do the warranty police allow these devices?

Evlengr 09-29-2009 11:40 AM

Here is something that may help the folks looking for extra power and the bad tranny shifting:


From bav auto parts


Got throttle lag? Put the punch back in your pedal and accelerate with confidence. The Sprint Booster power converter is an easy-to-install, electronic device that eliminates the delay in acceleration common in cars with Electronic Throttle Control (ETC, a.k.a. "drive by wire"). You get crisp acceleration on tap, whenever you want it, dramatically improving acceleration response time and your overall driving experience. (In other words, "Yee-haw!!!") It doesn't increase your car's horsepower -- it just make the car more responsive to your commands. You'll notice better off-the-line acceleration, faster 1/4-mile times, greater quickness when passing and easier on-hill starts. The Sprint Booster plugs in between the accelerator pedal and the ECM (Engine Control Module) where it continuously measures the digital signal being sent by the accelerator, modifies the signal and sends it on to the ETC, which tells the engine to respond more quickly. We tested it here at Bavarian Autosport and loved it! The installation took less than 10 minutes, and no modifications or changes in fuel are required. The first time we depressed the pedal, an instant smile appeared on our face... and didn't leave until an hour after we had climbed out of the car. Please note: There are different Sprint Boosters for manual and automatic transmissions -- make sure you are ordering the correct version for your car. One of the most noticeable performance upgrades you can do. Backed by a lifetime warranty.


It is supposed to reduce lag in drive by wire accelration.

Curious if anyone has used or has insight knowledge with this.

T1T2GRE 09-29-2009 02:01 PM

Mehhh. Here's a link to the lengthy discussion we had at the Sky Roadster forum.

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...78/index1.html

I think this just modulates your throttle so it is *sooper* sensitive. :confused:

Eh.

I am going to wait for Dinan and co. to come out with "mo' betterer stuff" with which to alter my intake and exhaust parameters.

madurodave 09-29-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KruelHouse (Post 4558478)
Remus offers a muffler, and I found a SuperSprint muffler and resonator (new) on eBay. I think that there was also an AC Schnitzer muffler on eBay once as well.

However, It has been postulated on this board that the Remus can is the best bang for the buck.

I had SuperSprint on my 2.8 Z3 and LOVED the sound. That plus Dinan cold air intake, performance chip, Eibach springs, anti-roll kit, etc. Great punch and acceleration!

surgtech72@yaho 09-29-2009 09:25 PM

throttle response
 
I was unhappy with the throttle response on my automatic '06, so I had the Dinan stage 1 software installed, which does reduce the lag quite a bit. It also changed the shift points when in manual mode, which I never liked in the first place. I have been very happy so far, and wasn't put off by the $300 price tag. I also put a high flow air filter in because that is what Dinan recommended.

madurodave 09-29-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surgtech72@yaho (Post 4560741)
I was unhappy with the throttle response on my automatic '06, so I had the Dinan stage 1 software installed, which does reduce the lag quite a bit. It also changed the shift points when in manual mode, which I never liked in the first place. I have been very happy so far, and wasn't put off by the $300 price tag. I also put a high flow air filter in because that is what Dinan recommended.

I know on my Z3 the software was a great improvement.

The high flow air filter - is this a cold air intake for the X3? I had a carbon fiber tube with high flow filter on my Z3. Expensive but nice. Or is it a filter that goes into the existing housing?

KruelHouse 09-30-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madurodave (Post 4559688)
I had SuperSprint on my 2.8 Z3 and LOVED the sound. That plus Dinan cold air intake, performance chip, Eibach springs, anti-roll kit, etc. Great punch and acceleration!

I thought about ordering it, but didn't know much about SuperSprint and their quality at that time. Nor did I have any idea of how it would sound, and I didn't want the X to sound like it belongs in the next Fast and the Furious offering. Honestly, I like the note of the I6 with the stock exhaust, just looking to amplify it a tad, and add a horse or two.:D

enamoured 09-30-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 4559005)
It is supposed to reduce lag in drive by wire accelration.

Curious if anyone has used or has insight knowledge with this.

I am *guessing* that it may help with tranny hesitation on 07/8/9 models too.

mikelahti 09-30-2009 07:16 PM

I have done a fair amount of searching for 2008 X3 performance parts. Lots of searching, but little finding.
-Dinan advertises no current model performance parts. Also, they will not divulge an email address.
-No Borla exhaust system available.
-No Supersprint exhaust systems listed.
-No intake systems of any kind.
-No software that I could find.
-There may be some European parts, but couldn't find anything concrete and none of the various websites I contacted ever bothered to respond.
-US websites selling BMW performance parts had basically nothing and responded that there was no market that justified development.
-Some limited parts may be available for early models.

If anyone finds anything for a 2008 (I think it is the same motor as the 2007), please let me know.

surgtech72@yaho 09-30-2009 08:17 PM

High flow air filter
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by madurodave (Post 4560863)
I know on my Z3 the software was a great improvement.

The high flow air filter - is this a cold air intake for the X3? I had a carbon fiber tube with high flow filter on my Z3. Expensive but nice. Or is it a filter that goes into the existing housing?

It is a K & N filter that fits in the existing airbox. It is what is recommended on the Dinan website. I know there are a lot of people on the forum that seriously hate K & N products for BMW's, but if it is good enough for Dinan, it's good enough for me. I have thought about putting an AFE cold air intake, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Chris

madurodave 09-30-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KruelHouse (Post 4561543)
I thought about ordering it, but didn't know much about SuperSprint and their quality at that time. Nor did I have any idea of how it would sound, and I didn't want the X to sound like it belongs in the next Fast and the Furious offering. Honestly, I like the note of the I6 with the stock exhaust, just looking to amplify it a tad, and add a horse or two.:D

For my Z3, I was able to listen to sound clips and made up my mind quickly. It had a deep rumble. You could tell it was not stock when you get on the gas. When cruising, it just made a pleasant sound. Not too loud, not too quiet. My wife even loved it! Unfortunately, I asked "why not put one on your 530?" She said no to the expense!:bawling:

I don't think you could go wrong with the SuperSprint. I may still order 1 for her car in the spring and sneak it on!

KruelHouse 10-02-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madurodave (Post 4563829)
For my Z3, I was able to listen to sound clips and made up my mind quickly. It had a deep rumble. You could tell it was not stock when you get on the gas. When cruising, it just made a pleasant sound. Not too loud, not too quiet. My wife even loved it! Unfortunately, I asked "why not put one on your 530?" She said no to the expense!:bawling:

I don't think you could go wrong with the SuperSprint. I may still order 1 for her car in the spring and sneak it on!

Thanks! I may have to scoop one up now.
Good luck sneaking it onto the 530 without her noticing... However tread softly, women can be crafty, ruthless, and unforgiving... That's why I love 'em!:D

Evlengr 10-02-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KruelHouse (Post 4568230)
Thanks! I may have to scoop one up now.
Good luck sneaking it onto the 530 without her noticing... However tread softly, women can be crafty, ruthless, and unforgiving... That's why I love 'em!:D

It sounds nice, but did it actually make a difference in response time?

mikelahti 10-02-2009 06:15 PM

Quite a few of the posts to this thread do not address the original posted issue. What is available for aftermarket exhaust systems for the X3? Any real power gains are in the headers and catalytic converters, mufflers are good for 5 or so rear wheel horsepower at best. Haven't seen any mufflers even that are listed for the present model. This is 2009 and the current powertrain has been out since the 2007 model year. We also need intake systems and reprogramming. Where is it?

UncleJ 10-03-2009 08:44 AM

Dinan does not offer an email address but their toll free number is 800-341-5480. They have moved their headquarters to Morgan Hill, about 20 miles south of Mountain View, where they still maintain a large service operation. The toll free number is a MtoF 9-5 number.

madurodave 01-30-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evlengr (Post 4568666)
It sounds nice, but did it actually make a difference in response time?

My Z3 experience was the exhaust did not add a whole lot to the engine's power. The sound difference was incredible.

The main power benefits I found were the Dinan software upgrades which increased redline cutoff and altered the fuel curve. This, coupled with the cold air intake for more air flow, gave quite a boost to my Z3.

As far as the 2007 and up X3's, I suspect BMW has extracted most of the power already. It is probably not worth it to invest too much into perfromance upgrades for the X3. I think you would spend a lot for a very little gain. The only exception would be supercharging. This could give you up to a 60 hp boost for the $5k range.

mikelahti 01-30-2010 01:06 PM

Supercharging that gains 60 HP for $5000 for the X3? Please back up this opinion with facts. Looks like it is erroneous for availability(no one makes it for X3) and price (BMW superchargers for other models begin at $8k+ without installation). Where can this fantasy product be purchased? Be specific. Provide website info.

madurodave 01-30-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikelahti (Post 4893903)
Supercharging that gains 60 HP for $5000 for the X3? Please back up this opinion with facts. Looks like it is erroneous for availability(no one makes it for X3) and price (BMW superchargers for other models begin at $8k+ without installation). Where can this fantasy product be purchased? Be specific. Provide website info.

Sorry for the confusion - I was talking cost and performance on the Z3. That was the price for me to do my own install. Pricing depends on brand. Eaton superchargers for the Z3 are in the $5k range. Dinan, on the otherhand, are around $10k.

I will check on the X3 also.

EDIT: Just checked - no supercharger for the E83. I guess we are not worthy! It is funny because I could have gotten a supercharger for my old Lexus LX450 (Land Cruiser) from Toyota Racing Development.

Terp1 01-31-2010 08:15 AM

X3 Supercharger
 
http://www.esstuning.com/categories/...s/X3-3.0i-M54/

UncleJ 01-31-2010 08:32 AM

Along with ESS I believe Technik (sp?) also produce a blower for the X3.:yikes: There may be others, check on the "Forced Induction" thread on Bimmerfest-forums.:thumbup:

madurodave 01-31-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terp1 (Post 4895623)

Nice!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms